Two-hour Bonchon thread | The Boneyard

Two-hour Bonchon thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
After hearing rave reviews second hand, I have decided that today is the day I will finally try Bonchon, the Korean Fried Chicken chain that opened a New Haven location in the past year or so.

So far the only intelligence I have is recommendations for the wings and the bulgogi (marinated ribeye) tacos.

Boneyard brethren with Bonchon experience please advise.

First question: Soy Garlic, Spicy or Half & Half for my fried chicken?

Second question: Just wings, or wings and drums?

Any other recs?

Reaction Score
I had never heard of it but when I was in CT this summer visiting family my sister got their fried chicken one night for dinner. There was a lot of hoopla and my expectations had been raised high. I have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. Don't get me wrong, it was good but it didn't stand out that much for me. One caveat, my sister drove about a half hour away to pick it up and bring it back so it wasn't fresh out of the fryer when we ate it. Sorry, no specific recommendations on flavors. I think we just had the standard fried chicken.

Reaction Score
It's fine to good. There's been a location in Boston/Allston for a while. Both flavors are decent. I'd get at least some soy garlic to try.

Reaction Score
I’ve only tried the one right off High Ridge Road exit in Stamford. Very good!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There was a Bonchon in Manchester and I thought the wings were great, drums and flappers. The place didn't survive the murder, unfortunately.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Is this the place my co-worker showed me a menu that had fried chicken or burgers with sides of spaghetti? I was like whuu?

Reaction Score
I would try both, but I prefer Spicy which is Gochujang based. Soy Garlic is solid too. Drums and wings are personal preference. I like my drums.

Korean Fried Chicken in general is the truth. Some amazing spots in LA and north jersey if y’all are in those areas.

Reaction Score
Take out is okay but really find a drop off in flavor. Also, the restaurants need to be relatively busy. I have found slower traffic restaurants to be quite variable in quality of food.
Pick a busy restaurant and eat on site. Like Kitaman said, tastes like crack wings!

Reaction Score
I would go with the soy garlic. Also, I get the pork belly buns too when I order.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Thanks all.

Went with a wing and drum combo with two drums and four wings, half spicy, half soy garlic. Also did the marinated ribeye tacos.

Did curbside pickup and was back at my office eating in ten minutes and the food was still hot so I feel I got a decent representation.

Chicken was good, crispy and tasty. Liked the spicy best by the end but it was nice to switch between the two. Liked the drums better than the wings because there was a better meat-to-coating ratio. Both had more coating than I prefer.

Tacos were good.

Pickled radishes stink to high heaven but provide a nice counterpoint to the chicken.

I don't feel compelled to try it again. I'm glad I did and would be fine to eat there again but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Heading to Korea for the first time in November. I'll be on the lookout for some Korean fried chicken.

Reaction Score
Thanks all.

Went with a wing and drum combo with two drums and four wings, half spicy, half soy garlic. Also did the marinated ribeye tacos.

Did curbside pickup and was back at my office eating in ten minutes and the food was still hot so I feel I got a decent representation.

Chicken was good, crispy and tasty. Liked the spicy best by the end but it was nice to switch between the two. Liked the drums better than the wings because there was a better meat-to-coating ratio. Both had more coating than I prefer.

Tacos were good.

Pickled radishes stink to high heaven but provide a nice counterpoint to the chicken.

I don't feel compelled to try it again. I'm glad I did and would be fine to eat there again but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.
I think there might need to be a downtown New Haven BET watch party if we have games during the work day in 2022.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think there might need to be a downtown New Haven BET watch party if we have games during the work day in 2022.
I have almost as many great memories of watching those games in my New Haven lunch spots as I do watching them in person. But all pre-Covid and I have no idea what the options are any more. Bear's maybe? Sports Haven?

Definitely watched several at Cask Republic; no idea what, if anything, is in that space now.

Kemba's ankle-breaker was at the bar of Thali Too, which is now Sherkaan and has the bar on the opposite side of the room. Not sure if they even have a TV any more.

Remember watching some at Archie Moore's maybe 20 years ago.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Heading to Korea for the first time in November. I'll be on the lookout for some Korean fried chicken.
My last boss came from spending 4 years in Korea. Kept saying how he missed the food

Reaction Score
My last boss came from spending 4 years in Korea. Kept saying how he missed the food
Obviously the Korean BBQ there is out of this world. Clients took me to a restaurant one day for lunch. We entered, took off our shoes and all sat on benches that were essentially on the ground with a very low table in front of us. We were sitting there for a while when I remarked that they had not yet brought us a menu. They told me this restaurant had no menu. I would soon discover that they serve chicken noodle soup and only chicken noodle soup. I thought, "this better be the best damn chicken soup ever". It was.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I would try both, but I prefer Spicy which is Gochujang based. Soy Garlic is solid too. Drums and wings are personal preference. I like my drums.

Korean Fried Chicken in general is the truth. Some amazing spots in LA and north jersey if y’all are in those areas.
Where in North Jersey?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It's as spicy going in as it is coming out. Just a warning

The ultimate sign of bad spice sourcing.

You ever wonder why flaming hot cheetohs set you on fire on the toilet? but super hot good Indian or Thai food is way more forgiving on that end while even hotter at initial bite?

Reaction Score
Where in North Jersey?
I would imagine the Bergen County towns. My aunt and uncle live in Ridgefield Park and cousins are in the other towns around there. I never know what town I'm in because they're small and all crammed right next to each other but there's Korean people everywhere and signs are written in Korean. Pretty sure it's the largest Korean population in the country.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom