Twelfth Team to the Big East | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Twelfth Team to the Big East

Reaction Score
The problem, of course, is you can’t bring in too many mid-majors and still be considered a Major. The NOOB has already brought in Xavier, Butler, Creighton in recent years, plus it has Providence and Seton Hall who basically scream mid-major, and DePaul who screams low D1. At some point you are what your membership says you are. Does anybody actually believe that Providence world win the A10 on a regular basis? Of course not.

Gonzaga makes zero sense. Great team but be reasonable. Temple has tradition, it’s in the footprint, it’s in a major recruiting area. And honestly, Temple has a very different fan base from Nova. VU is white suburban upper middle class. Temple fans are more urban, African-American and working class. More John Chaney while Villanova’s coach is a perfect representative of their fans.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
This is the only answer that makes sense. Plus it gives UCONN another big conference rivalry that will sell tickets.

This idea gets rejected by this board because there are too many chicken littles afraid UMASS might become too successful. PC fans hate it even more for the same reason. Too many cowards who don't understand rivalries should be nurtured not shunned.

What money does UMASS bring to the table? There is no reason to add them, IMO

If a program, any program, doesn't increase the TV contracts, they're not getting an invite

The Zags would be huge, maybe Memphis is the only other program that would. I don't see either coming

Reaction Score
Understand what we’re talking about…

Men’s sports…soccer is on a plane two or three times a year. Track is going to meets locally and maybe gets on a plane once depending on where the Big East championship is. Golf is always on a plane because it’s cold in Connecticut in the winter - has nothing to do with their conference. Football, basketball and baseball are what they are.

Women’s sports…Track mostly does local meets, but will fly once or twice, depending on where the championship is. Field hockey…there’s a bunch of associate members in the Big East and most are relatively close by, but the program plays a national schedule because they’re good and that’s how it goes. Lacrosse…no home and homes, so you might fly twice to some of the midwest Big East schools and play two games against Butler or whoever. (Or Denver, which I think is an associate member.) Rowing is never on a plane. Soccer is on a plane two or three times a year, depending on where the championship is. Softball, like baseball, travels a lot because you can’t play outdoors here for part of the season. Swimming will always have a local schedule - they’re never on a plane. Tennis will always be local. Volleyball will fly to the midwest once or twice a season.

Basically, adding UMass to the conference does nothing for UConn’s travel budget. They’re already on the schedule of some of the Olympic sports and they’re not going to save us a road trip in some of the others.

It’s like adding Gonzaga would not really affect the travel for UConn that much either. (The travel for Gonzaga, on the other hand, would be disastrous.)
Ok, yeah I do not know or understand it at all. To me it should be the old model where we have a 8-12 team conference and schools play each other in EVERYTHING. Naturally this precludes football. Probably it doesn't include big time basketball. Sounds like the other sports do piece this together in some artificial schedule which hopefully is consistent, practical & produces some good rivalries.

The travel budget is an ancillary concern. What I'm mostly lamenting is the loss of a conference where every sport plays the same opponents, so that students, athletes and coaches all go to 3-4 campuses once a year to foster all encompassing regional rivalries. You need the biggest sports to truly make this work & matter. I guess the other sports have figured out a way to formulate a schedule or quasi-conferences based on logistics. Yet it seems a loss if every sport doesn't play Providence, BC and UMass every year and use those rivalries to rise all boats. Kumbaya

Reaction Score
Out there thought... BU..

Check marks for hockey, lax, soccer, baseball. Bring in a real HC and shoves it to BC. Gotta commit big to hoops though. At least Pee C big.

Good academics, right in footprint. Cannabalizes no other BU sport. FB goes great with 'Nova in FCS.

Win/win?

edit: plus, great Catholic school too:)
You mean BU as in Boston University? For real? Also, not a Catholic school.

Reaction Score
Ok, yeah I do not know or understand it at all. To me it should be the old model where we have a 8-12 team conference and schools play each other in EVERYTHING. Naturally this precludes football. Probably it doesn't include big time basketball. Sounds like the other sports do piece this together in some artificial schedule which hopefully is consistent, practical & produces some good rivalries.

The travel budget is an ancillary concern. What I'm mostly lamenting is the loss of a conference where every sport plays the same opponents, so that students, athletes and coaches all go to 3-4 campuses once a year to foster all encompassing regional rivalries. You need the biggest sports to truly make this work & matter. I guess the other sports have figured out a way to formulate a schedule or quasi-conferences based on logistics. Yet it seems a loss if every sport doesn't play Providence, BC and UMass every year and use those rivalries to rise all boats. Kumbaya
Ok Ward

Reaction Score
Ok Ward
1637266168755.jpeg
nm

Reaction Score
Wishful thinking.

A school that cannot compete on a consistent basis in the A10 is suddenly going to be competitive in the Big East.

It’s idiocy.
You could say the same thing about UCONN Football being in the AAC vs. the ACC. It's the chicken and the egg.

How about one of the largest, if not the largest, public universities in Virginia. I hate to mention the name due to past history oh say around 2006 but I think it would be a good addition to the Big East. Large public, good hoops. The A-10 has 3 programs in Virginia and 1 in North Carolina while Georgetown has been a dog.

Reaction Score
The problem, of course, is you can’t bring in too many mid-majors and still be considered a Major. The NOOB has already brought in Xavier, Butler, Creighton in recent years, plus it has Providence and Seton Hall who basically scream mid-major, and DePaul who screams low D1. At some point you are what your membership says you are. Does anybody actually believe that Providence world win the A10 on a regular basis? Of course not.

Gonzaga makes zero sense. Great team but be reasonable. Temple has tradition, it’s in the footprint, it’s in a major recruiting area. And honestly, Temple has a very different fan base from Nova. VU is white suburban upper middle class. Temple fans are more urban, African-American and working class. More John Chaney while Villanova’s coach is a perfect representative of their fans.
Yes and no. I think the Nova fan base is probably more national and Temple is local. I don't think race has anything to do with it and I think both programs could live in the Big East.

Reaction Score
All colleges were doing remote learning for an extended period of time so it's really no big deal. Gonzaga could schedule more than half (6 of 11) of their Big East away games during a 3 week East Coast trip and get tons of exposure from New England to Virginia. They fly out, take buses over the 3 weeks, fly home. No biggie. They could do the trip in January and miss very little school. The West Coast is losing BYU so it might make a lot of sense for them.

Reaction Score
I have a few points.
1. People have mentioned that Gonzaga will only be good with Mark Few. Well, Butler was added to the NBE based on Brad Stevens' success. They have not had a final 4 team but have had reasonably good teams.
2. Schools should be considered, even if they are not currently top 25, if they have fan support and resources. That's why I like SMU. They were hugely popular with Larry Brown.
3. Memphis continues to have basketball recruiting success. I think they would be a great addition.
4. Not to rehash previous discussions, but people have mentioned the "KO days" in such negative light. The guy won a national championship!! I know folks will say "he won with Calhoun's players". Well, he also defeated (and I would say out-coached in the 2014 NCAA tourney) Martelli, Wright, Hoiberg, Izzo, Donovan, and Calapari. That's a pretty impressive run!
KO had the tough luck of UCONN failing in re-alignment and getting stuck in an inferior conference.

Reaction Score
I would have to go with Syracuse. As much as we hate nose picker and fans, those conference rivalry games were awesome.
Unfortunately the whole football thing gets in the way. IMO UConn’s main BE rival(see 90s-00s BE BB). Otherwise my 1st choice.

Reaction Score
Can't tell if this is sarcasm...this thread has me questioning everybody's sanity
why is cincy so wild...good bball apparently, decent rivalry, football would have more flexibility to play better competition as an independent. Don't like 'em but why not?

Reaction Score
why is cincy so wild...good bball apparently, decent rivalry, football would have more flexibility to play better competition as an independent. Don't like 'em but why not?
They just got a Big 12 invite, they're not going backwards to the Big East

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom