Turn off e-mail notifications | The Boneyard

Turn off e-mail notifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I hate to ask a question like this, but I went through all preferences and still seem to be getting e-mail notifications. How can I turn them off, to be sure?

Reaction Score
"Receive email when a new conversation message is received
Email notifications for new conversations, replies to existing conversations, and being added to an existing conversation."

Turned that off and STILL get e-mail notifications.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
At the top right of your screen you'll see your handle with an arrow for a pull down menu. Click on that then choose Alert Preferences. You can get rid of the notifications you don't want there.

Reaction Score
At the top right of your screen you'll see your handle with an arrow for a pull down menu. Click on that then choose Alert Preferences. You can get rid of the notifications you don't want there.

But what if I like getting the alerts on my bar when I come in here. I find them handy. There should be an option to turn off emails connected to the alerts, but keep the alerts.

Reaction Score
I've found if you press the "More options" button under the post text entry window, it brings up an option of "watch this thread" and then a sub option of "and receive email notifications" which are both checked by default.

I'm wondering if because these are checked you are automatically "watching" a thread if you post in it even if you don't intend to watch it

Reaction Score
Found the answer I think, under preferences there is a box to set whether or not you automatically follow threads you post or create

Reaction Score
I've found if you press the "More options" button under the post text entry window, it brings up an option of "watch this thread" and then a sub option of "and receive email notifications" which are both checked by default.

I'm wondering if because these are checked you are automatically "watching" a thread if you post in it even if you don't intend to watch it

I don't necessarily mind that function if it puts alerts at the top of the page. I just don't want the emails. I may just have Gmail automatically put those messages in the trash if there isn't a way around this via the mods end - but I think there should be. At least any message boards I've admined before have had this option.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
But what if I like getting the alerts on my bar when I come in here. I find them handy. There should be an option to turn off emails connected to the alerts, but keep the alerts.
Below are your options under Alert Preferences. You can pick and choose what you want:

Messages in Threads

Receive an alert when someone...​

• Replies to a watched thread
    Someone replies to a thread you are watching
  • Attaches a file to a watched thread
    Someone replies and attaches a file to a thread you are watching
  • Quotes your message
    Someone directly quotes one of your messages in a thread
  • Likes your message
    Someone likes one of your messages in a thread
Messages on Profile Pages

Reaction Score
Below are your options under Alert Preferences. You can pick and choose what you want:

Messages in Threads

Receive an alert when someone...​

• Replies to a watched thread
    Someone replies to a thread you are watching
  • Attaches a file to a watched thread
    Someone replies and attaches a file to a thread you are watching
  • Quotes your message
    Someone directly quotes one of your messages in a thread
  • Likes your message
    Someone likes one of your messages in a thread
Messages on Profile Pages

You're still missing my point...but let me conduct a test. :)

Reaction Score
I turned off every single alert and I am still getting Emails every-time I post.

Reaction Score
I think I found the answer under browsing preferences, just making a post to make sure.

Reaction Score
Last thing I could find I just turned off, just posting to see if it works.

Reaction Score
Just what I suspected. The alerts thing only turns off the alert notifications at the top of the forum. There is some option we can't see that must be accessible to the admins to turn off this feature. While I can live with these notifications, it's a real pain in the ass and I'd really really like them to go away.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Just what I suspected. The alerts thing only turns off the alert notifications at the top of the forum. There is some option we can't see that must be accessible to the admins to turn off this feature. While I can live with these notifications, it's a real pain in the ass and I'd really really like them to go away.

I shut off all of the alerts and still am getting e-mails as well, possibly not as many. I wonder if ones that were activated initially do not stop even when you change the preferences. Maybe not. I agree, though, that this is not working as it is.

Reaction Score
I shut off all of the alerts and still am getting e-mails as well, possibly not as many. I wonder if ones that were activated initially do not stop even when you change the preferences. Maybe not. I agree, though, that this is not working as it is.

There should be something in the preferences when the admins set up this board. It probably is hidden somewhere in their massive capabilities. When another forum I'm part of moved to a new company, there were some things they were tweaking throughout the upcoming months. Bulletin board software is pretty complex today - sometimes it's good...but sometimes...it's not. :p

Reaction Score
I see the setting under Preferences, not under the Alert Preferences menu.

àPreferences
à à Options
à à à Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
à à à à and receive email notifications of replies

After I unchecked the box for email notifications I stopped receiving the email alerts

Reaction Score
I see the setting under Preferences, not under the Alert Preferences menu.

àPreferences
à à Options
à à à Automatically watch threads that you create or when you reply...
à à à à and receive email notifications of replies

After I unchecked the box for email notifications I stopped receiving the email alerts

DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER! :D

Reaction Score
Are they on threads you are watching? I noticed a couple this morning, but it was sporadic and only on threads I was watching.

Reaction Score
Yeah, they're on the threads I'm watching. This is just strange. I hope they figure it out. But in the mean time, I'm going to figure out how I can filter these messages out of my inbox in my Gmail account.

Reaction Score
Alright, try this:

Under the options when you click on your handle at the top, click on “Watched Threads”

Mine defaults to “Unread Watched Threads”

Below the last listed thread, there is an option (small font) to “Show all watched threads”

When the full list displays, check the box for each of the threads, then go to the bottom of the page and in the list/drop down box that reads (for me, anyway) “with selected…”, choose “Disable email notification”, then click “Go”.

That might do it. Not sure if you will have to repeat this, or do it once for the threads you were watching before you shut down the email notification option under “Preferences”.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Alright, try this:

Under the options when you click on your handle at the top, click on “Watched Threads”

Mine defaults to “Unread Watched Threads”

Below the last listed thread, there is an option (small font) to “Show all watched threads”

When the full list displays, check the box for each of the threads, then go to the bottom of the page and in the list/drop down box that reads (for me, anyway) “with selected…”, choose “Disable email notification”, then click “Go”.

That might do it. Not sure if you will have to repeat this, or do it once for the threads you were watching before you shut down the email notification option under “Preferences”.

Lol. This is pretty crazy. How about one box somewhere that says something like "Do not receive emails for replies to threads". Right at the top. No need to dig.

There's about 6 different boxes with "don't receive emails" in different places. Some of which appear the same, some not.

Ahh well, they'll get it sorted out in time.

Keep this thread updated. I'm certain I'll receive an email with any replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom