OT: - Tua/Left-Handed QBs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tua/Left-Handed QBs

Reaction Score
There are some lefty goalies in lax, but I don't think for goalies it really makes much of a difference. I always found shooting against a lefty goalie as a righty was easier, but its really just personal preference. It's certainly an advatage to have a lefty defender guard a righty. Having at least one lefty on offense is a necessity in lax.
That offensive necessity point, brings me back to its weird in basketball that there aren't more lefties. In a spread offense put a right-handed shooting wing on the right side and a left handed shooting wing on the left side and the combo provides fractional advantages, namely a quicker release with more space off a strong hand dribble and a little more space to get a shot off on each baseline.

Plus for the rarity reason a good left-handed shooting stroke is more aesthetically pleasing than a right hander. I can still envision Greg Woodard's pure jumper (Villanova).

Reaction Score
There are a lot of "lefties" in hockey, but that doesn't necessarily equate with being left handed. Same with lax. I know plenty of people who were lefty in lax and/or hockey, but were right handed.
That would be me. I’m a righty when writing, throwing, shooting a basketball, golfing, tennis. But hockey and lacrosse I’m a lefty.

Reaction Score
What are the stats for lefty success in various sports? Seems like lower than % in general population.

Football - QB's under-represented, I'd guess irrelevant at all other positions save kicker?
Baseball - more lefty's than usual, definitely among pitchers
Basketball - There SHOULD be more lefties, but I think they are under-represented, for that reason they have an advantage as even at NBA & college level defenders can't seem to remember when a guy is lefty. I've always had an easier time defending lefties than most because I remember and because I incorrectly try to block shots with my right hand. You'd think there'd be more lefties as % since lefties via standard youth drills lefties are forced to be more ambidextrous.
Hockey - ?? no clue
Soccer - ?
Tennis - seems like an advantage but I'd guess under-represented
Boxing - no one will fight them
Skating - ?

Thanks for adding the Rocky clip.

Need to add Golf to the List....very low percentage of players playing lefty there.....

Reaction Score
Thanks for adding the Rocky clip.

Need to add Golf to the List....very low percentage of players playing lefty there.....
Good one, golf already high barrier to entry due to costs/time - paucity of lefty clubs makes the barrier even higher for lefties.

Unique in that I think all of the other equipment/cost barrier sports don't have lefty/righty equipment: skiing, gymnastics, cycling, racing (assume car, motorcycle etc are sports). Surprised that quick search shows hockey more expensive than skiing - that must not be accounting for travel, meals & clothes - although I'm sure that per hour hockey is way more expensive.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Many non-pitchers (Smoltz Glavine, and Maddox were known avid golfers in their playing days.) will play golf from the opposite side of the ball/plate from how they hit. The mechanics of a golf and baseball swing are so different, they can't afford to mess up their livelihood. I remember trying to pick up golf in college after 12 years of baseball and it was brutal.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
As someone who played a skill position with both a right and a left handed QB in high school I can tell you it does take some getting used. I found the adjustment took longer and was harder than I expected when we switched QBs.

Reaction Score
Many non-pitchers (Smoltz Glavine, and Maddox were known avid golfers in their playing days.) will play golf from the opposite side of the ball/plate from how they hit. The mechanics of a golf and baseball swing are so different, they can't afford to mess up their livelihood. I remember trying to pick up golf in college after 12 years of baseball and it was brutal.
Never knew that opposite side factoid, but it makes sense. Maybe if I played golf lefty I wouldn't suck... Head bang I think hockey players have the easiest transition to golf

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Between Rickey and me, we have the most steals in major league history for a T:L/B:R combo with 1,406.

We also hold the record for lead off homers.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom