True Womens Scoring Record Surpassed and Acknowledged | The Boneyard

True Womens Scoring Record Surpassed and Acknowledged

Reaction Score
I was aware of Woodard but not Moore until just this year. I recall Woodard being mentioned when Plum and Stiles were chasing the record but Moore wasn't mentioned (to my recollection).

Honestly, why did the NCAA recognize coaching wins in the AIAW but not player achievements? It seems strange they wouldn't but almost nothing that organization has done makes any sense.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Glad to see Bluder/Clark recognize Woodard.

Regarding Pearl Moore, I saw this on Reddit which might shine a light why she isn't brought up in the same way Woodard was.

"Moore played in the AIAW's Small College division, which is an important distinction. Lynnette Woodard played for Kansas in AIAW's Large College division, so their D-I equivalent."

Reaction Score
Glad to see Bluder/Clark recognize Woodard.

Regarding Pearl Moore, I saw this on Reddit which might shine a light why she isn't brought up in the same way Woodard was.

"Moore played in the AIAW's Small College division, which is an important distinction. Lynnette Woodard played for Kansas in AIAW's Large College division, so their D-I equivalent."
Just for the record, there wasn't much distinction between what are now Division 1 schools and smaller schools back in the AIAW days during the regular season. For instance, Pearl Moore's Francis Marion team played against the University of South Carolina 11 times in her four seasons, with South Carolina holding a slim 6-5 advantage in those games. (The top teams in South Carolina across all classifications played a state tournament at the end of the regular season, but then the teams split into large-school and small-school for national tournaments.) South Carolina was strong enough to make the large-school AIAW regionals two of those years. Francis Marion made the small-school AIAW regionals all four years Pearl played and advanced deep into to the national tournament three of those years. Doing a quick scan of the Francis Marion schedules from the four years Pearl was playing, I came up with at least 70 games against schools that are now Division 1. Sure, she played against some small schools, but she scored a ton of her points against the bigger schools, too. And in many cases, small schools put more resources into women's sports than the big ones back then.

Reaction Score
But can she catch Pearl Moore?

Found this gem of an article while researching Pearl Moore.

I wonder if they could create a stat called total made buckets. I think that would help neutralize the extra point gained from a 3-pointer when comparing players who did not have a 3-point line against those who played with one.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom