Travel: Is Costa Rica really THAT expensive? | The Boneyard

Travel: Is Costa Rica really THAT expensive?

Reaction Score
Hi everyone,
Before I get started, first let me apologize if this is not the correct place for this, I could not think of a better place for the topic.

Any way, a low cost airline that serves Guatemala, where I currently reside, has recently added a route to Costa Rica.

This intrigues me. Generally speaking I have made it a habit to avoid Costa Rica because of how expensive I hear it is. I have already seen a lot of Central America and South America (Colombia, Ecuador, Bolivia and Peru) and find the prices to be very reasonable, especially in Colombia. Plus I have always assumed I got a similar, cheaper type of experience in Nicaragua, El Salvador, Belize, Panama, Mexico and Guatemala (compared to CR), all of which I have been to and all of those countries offer great activities and things to see and do on a budget. Although I found Panama and Belize to be expensive at times, especially for the value you get for your money.

So any way, is Costa Rica really as expensive as so many people and websites like to claim? As you can probably tell, my wife and I like to travel on a budget. In Cuba we were perfectly fine with the casas and Air B and Bs we got for 20 to 25 USD per night. Nothing fancy needed, just a bed, clean room and bathroom. We were also fine with the street food we could find for 1 to 2 USD. Can you find budget options in Costa Rica? I remember being scared by this story two Mexicans told my wife and I in Panama, that they had paid 7 dollars for a litre of Orange Juice (outrageous) and had to water it down a number of times to make it last longer.

Any ways, Opinions? Is Costa Rica expensive or is it all unwarranted hype, with budget friendly options available?

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I lived in San Jose for a few months--that area was pretty cheap, but not a tourist destination by any stretch. Also went to Puerto Viejo and stayed at a hostel for either $5 or $10 per night, can't remember. Flights aren't cheap but everything else is reasonable unless you want to stay at a fancy resort.

Reaction Score
There are inexpensive options in most of these islands where there is poverty. All of this depends on where you want to stay and dine. Been to costa rica twice and dinner out casual but nice for about $75 per couple. Nice but not 4 star hotels on beach for $100.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32
Top Bottom