Top Three UConn Player/Moment/Szn | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Top Three UConn Player/Moment/Szn

Reaction Score
My favorite players to watch are Svetlana Abrosimova, Kelly Faris, and Diana. That game against Providence in Sveta’s freshman year after the loss to Tennessee, Geno put Sveta in the starting lineup and she had almost a triple double in the first half. Like yup she should’ve been a starter from the beginning. Her junior year she had so many near triple doubles. My favorite games to watch!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moments:
1. MoJeff -- I don't know why, but it's always MoJeff for me -- in the SC game where she ran right through their defense, especially one length of the court sprint, after grabbing a defensive rebound under the rim, she out ran everyone to the other end of the floor. People say passing gets the ball down the floor faster, but not necessarily with MoJeff!

2. Rebecca Celebrating the first NC, racing around the court like a mad thing! That kind of joy is infectious.

3. Maya running full tilt down the floor. I just loved to see the energy she brought to the big games.

Come to think of it, all my favorite moments involve folks running... which means Jen and Kelly and Kia belong on this list for always bringing the energy!

I recall early in her junior year when Mo began asserting herself and would have been NPOY if not for Stewie. She took over games on offense and on defense. I recall one game, perhaps against Rutgers, where she made a diving steal while falling out of bounds (on the scorers table) and then threw a behind-the-back pass to Stewie for a breakaway layup. After the play, Mo was upset and told Stewie that she should have dunked the ball. That was a great play that could have been even greater.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
Carla Berube, Ann Strother, Kelly Faris

1995 Team NCCA game vs Virginia for me Jamelle Elliot’s Legend was born. Rebecca and Kara on the bench in foul trouble, she single handedly kept them in the game with her rebounding and scoring inside against 3 Virginia players that were all 6” taller than her, what she was doing, the way she battled inside, it was amazing.

2002 Team at Home vs Seton Hall when Phyllis Mangina was asked what area of Diana’s game could be improved (weakness) I wish I could recall the exact score but it was the most dominant 1st 2 minutes of a game ever. I believe score was 19-0 UCONN was full court press Seton Hall wasn’t able to bring the ball over half court. Phyllis used all her timeouts to try and stop it. Geno yelled over to her at that point and asked her if that was good enough defense for her.

2016-2017 that Team my favorite and the whole season they were amazing loved watching them.

Reaction Score
I loved watching Maya play. Followed her into the WNBA which I hadn't really paid much attention to prior to her joining the Lynx. She was literally poetry in motion on the court, it's almost like we were in her head and saw the game slow down for us ( as they say happens within all great players). When she would rise up and release the ball on a jumper, float in for a layup or fly downcourt to block what by all rights should have been an uncontested lay in, all of those just a pleasure to watch. There was never a moment she was on the court that you would be shocked if she just took over a game. Just beautiful basketball.

I live across the Hudson River from Saniya Chong's hometown of Ossining NY. She was just an amazing basketball player in Highschool. One game I recall in particular, the opponents strategy in the second half was to simply foul Sanyia on every play - she just calmly went to the line and knocked down twenty something free throws in a row. Smooth as silk as she carried her team to their first State championship the year after making to that final game only to fall to Breanna Stewarts team ( although I believe Saniya outscored Breanna in the game). She still holds the New York State record for most career points for a four year varsity player ( a couple are ahead of her on the career list but they played 5 or 6 years). You can only imagine how thrilled i was when she committed to our Uconn Huskies.

Sanyia was always extremely gifted but IMO she was a very reluctant leader ( didn't like the limelight on herself, even in HS when she was not only her teams leader but the most outstanding player in the state). She just loved being part of the team. A moment her Freshman year I remember was in the Penn State game where she went to the basket on a runout and literally twisted her defender into a pile on the floor with a couple crossovers and a lay in. I always had my eye on her whenever she was on the floor throughout her Uconn career. Her senior season at Uconn she led the nation, by a good margin in assist/turnover % until Kia went down with injury and she was called on to step up on the defense end to offset Kia's loss ( which was no small task). It was always 'the big four' that year, Lou, Pheesa, Kia and Gabby that got all the press and attention but Sanyia played a huge role in their success that season as well.

Both the above were players I just personally always focused on when they were on the floor. I just enjoyed seeing them play the game. Obviously Maya is among Uconn's all time greats, but both were extremely team first players, which I think is perhaps a reason they are two of may favorites. Kelly Faros was another one in that mold and I loved watching her play as well. She probably would be the third one on my list.... but that brings me to my current favorite player to watch, Nika.

For me, Nika is just a joy to watch play. She is so intense, total energy and drive. It has been fun to see her work to reprogram her game to fit the US college game. She fought it like hell as a freshman, somehow thinking that her personal outrage would trigger a transition to the more physical game she was used to in Europe! In the end this season, though she has toned down her physicality but maintained her intensity. She just lives to celebrate every single success, be it small or large, of and with her teammates. Her personality has been infectious and IMO the team has been reflecting it in their play this season. Hope she is back on the floor again soon!

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
game should be played "inside-out."
The inside out game is designed to set up 3-point shooters. The concept is to get the ball in the middle and when the defense collapses kick out to a 3-point shot. Hence playing inside out as opposed to running a series of ball screens and down screens.

Reaction Score
The inside out game is designed to set up 3-point shooters. The concept is to get the ball in the middle and when the defense collapses kick out to a 3-point shot. Hence playing inside out as opposed to running a series of ball screens and down screens.
Yes but the point I was making is that the podcast said to paraphrase that "Inside/Out is the way the game should be played."

years when UCONN had Sveta/Ralph/Bird or the last two years of Taurasi, or the last year of Maya, or these past 3 years with our best players being perimeter players; the focus shouldn't be "inside/Out." You play to your strengths.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Yes but the point I was making is that the podcast said to paraphrase that "Inside/Out is the way the game should be played."

years when UCONN had Sveta/Ralph/Bird or the last two years of Taurasi, or the last year of Maya, or these past 3 years with our best players being perimeter players; the focus shouldn't be "inside/Out." You play to your strengths.
I have to reiterate the statement 'play inside out' does not refer to a strong inside game where the bigs do the scoring. Inside out is an offensive strategy to prevent the defense from defending the three point arc. It gives the outside shooters more open shots. Inside out refers to ball movement. Pass the ball inside, when the defense moves to the ball, the inside player passes to the open shooter outside. .

Reaction Score
Last year we were stacked with injuries and I was going through a rough personal time so I said if this ever happens again i would stay positive both personally and boneyardly. It's been pretty heavy in the BY these last few weeks so let's have some fun and keep it light friends

Who are your personal top 3 UConn fav players, moments or seasons and why?

Maya Moore - Kobe Bryant is my fav NBA player and she reminds me so of him more than any player. Work ethic, skillset, clutch gene, versatility. I just love everything about her and who she has grown to be as a basketball player and person.

Paige Bueckers x Caitlin Clark NCAA game: Paige was National Player, Freshman, Human of the year. Caitlin Clark led the league is points, assists and WTF moments. There was more hype around this game than any other game I can remember and two superstars and their teams collide. The game itself turned into a different show but seeing those two against each other was like a Marvel movie, you just go because it's fun.

Kelly Farris: That lady ate steel for lunch. She was one of the toughest competitors I've ever seen. She developed her scoring but she stayed on the floor because she outcompeted everyone she everyone she ever met.

The list is far too long to limit to three. But Stewie has to be on the list. She always came through when most needed. And if Paige ever plays again; and Azzi. And look what Edwards is giving.

Reaction Score
I have to reiterate the statement 'play inside out' does not refer to a strong inside game where the bigs do the scoring. Inside out is an offensive strategy to prevent the defense from defending the three point arc. It gives the outside shooters more open shots. Inside out refers to ball movement. Pass the ball inside, when the defense moves to the ball, the inside player passes to the open shooter outside. .
Yes but "Inside/Out" means that the inside player is going to have to make a play / ie pass back outside (or score). That means the the Defense would have to collapse. They aren't going to collapse until you prove you can score or they know they are at a big disadvnatge.. Otherwise why collapse? And if your Offense is "Inside Out" as he put it "The way the game should be played" - it means that's the focus. That should not be the focus if that is not your strength.

I'll reiterate again that the person said to paraphrase that the game should be played inside out.

By playing inside out it clearly means you are getting the ball inside to your posts as a focal point\ to your offense. For some teams ball screens and down screens is preferred as the focal point.

Reaction Score
Most fun to watch for me -
Mo, Paige and Kelly.

Most fun to watch for me -
Mo, Paige and Kelly.
My favorite player to watch was Moe and NOW Caroline.
Tonights game with MD showed me why I think Caroline wasn't hitting on all cylinders..
Tonight as in games last year---Caroline HAD to FUNCTION at a high level---and DID. She isn't a follower, she's a leader. When asked to lead, she LEADs and takes over, shoots and maybe shoots too often.
She's the kind that needs to lead from the front. In those games she was needed to takeover she took OVER. Same today, when the chips were down,she came through.

Paige does that. Moe did that, the best of Uconn best LED from the Front. Before she is done, if she isn't relegated to the back row, she'll Lead.

Reaction Score
For me these are the three WOW moments for my favorite players:
1) When D threw a behind the head pass to a player under the basket for a layup. I don't know how she ever saw the player.
2) When Mo lost her dribble at the top of the key and the Rutgers (I think) player raced down the court for a sure layup. Stewie was at the baseline in a game UConn was winning by 30 points and somehow raced after the Rutgers player and blocked her layup. It was a meaningless potential 2 points but Stewie was having none of it. This was the greatest defensive play I've ever seen in women's basketball.
3) Paige's 30+ points against South Carolina as a freshman. She couldn't be stopped that day and the perfect ending to a phenomenal game was her other worldly 3 pointer in overtime that hit the back of the rim and seemed to fly 10 feet in the air to then fall straight into the air. The Paige legend was built that day.

Reaction Score
Carla Berube - did everything, played anywhere Geno needed her
Diana Taurasi
1991 team led by the great Kerry Bascom that showed me I could watch women’s basketball

Reaction Score
Taurasi in the 2003 finals game
Paige in the 2022 final four against NC
Gabby Williams jumping straight up (had to have her hands close to 10ft) to intercept a pass in a regular season game-year?

Reaction Score
I posted this before. Diligent BY people might be tired of it. My favorite player quote is by Svet. In her cute Russian accent Svet said: "Basketball is an easy game, coach makes it hard".
I loved Svetlana's difficulty understanding English when Geno was getting on her.

Reaction Score
There is no question in my favorite among many UConn women’s moments. April 6th 2003 vs Texas and Stacy Stephens. It really cemented Diana Taurasi’s legend as the greatest women’s player I ever saw. UCONN was down 11 points with minutes to play and Taurasi just put the whole team on her back and eekd out a win against maybe the best Texas team I can remember. The rocket pass the full length of the court is the stuff of legend. To cap that off they advanced to the final against Tennessee and stunned Pat Summitt and her Lady Vols.
Actually IIRC it was a behind the back rocket pass!!!

Reaction Score
Nika, too.
Here dismay version of UCONN's best "5 " : Stewy, Maya Moore, Diana T, Sue Bird, Tina Charles.

I'm pretty sure Paige would push someone hard if she had had a healthy career. Possibly the same is true for AZZI. But we'll be lucky to get another season out of them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom