OT: - Top Gun Movie | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Top Gun Movie

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I was skeptical—and it was totally cheesy and totally derivative—but damn that was a great watch.

Agree with @auror ’s review in pretty much every respect, except that I saw it in a normal theater and didn’t feel gypped. It’s just a good, old fashioned action movie experience, and we haven’t had that experience in a movie theater in a long time.
Which is exactly why it has now done $1B at the box office. People were longing for something like this.

I still haven't seen it. May go next week when we get back home.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Watching the original. Tim Robbins is Cougar's Goose in the opening scene. He's Merlin. Must be thee Merlin with Maverick in the final scene.

Reaction Score
I saw it a couple weeks ago liked it but thought it was ok. I felt the original had more intense training aerial battles, better rivalries and the love interest was more interesting and important to the story.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I saw it a couple weeks ago liked it but thought it was ok. I felt the original had more intense training aerial battles, better rivalries and the love interest was more interesting and important to the story.
Wow. Couldn’t disagree more. I saw the original for the first a week before seeing this and thought it was remarkably weak on all those fronts, especially the love interest. I thought the new one was much better in every respect.

Reaction Score
Wow. Couldn’t disagree more. I saw the original for the first a week before seeing this and thought it was remarkably weak on all those fronts, especially the love interest. I thought the new one was much better in every respect.

I think they are both great. Tony Scott was a genius.

There are a ton of podcasts about the making of Top Gun. It was a miracle that film came together.

The original script had McGillis as an aerobics instructor. None of the flying scenes had lines! They screened it for some of the pilots and they blasted the movie for not having any speaking in the aviation scenes. So they had to go back and record that.

Also the Navy wasn’t playing ball with the script. Jerry Bruckheimer had to intervene. He basically told them that they were making a movie, not a documentary and that all of them were going to get laid a ton so get with the program.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think they are both great. Tony Scott was a genius.

There are a ton of podcasts about the making of Top Gun. It was a miracle that film came together.

The original script had McGillis as an aerobics instructor. None of the flying scenes had lines! They screened it for some of the pilots and they blasted the movie for not having any speaking in the aviation scenes. So they had to go back and record that.

Also the Navy wasn’t playing ball with the script. Jerry Bruckheimer had to intervene. He basically told them that they were making a movie, not a documentary and that all of them were going to get laid a ton so get with the program.
I just felt there was zero chemistry between Cruise and McGillis; not to mention that her height—and Goose’s—really emphasized how short Cruise is. I thought the relationship between him and Connelly seemed much more believable.

As for the rest, I’ll admit that judging a 1986 Movie with 2022 eyes is not necessarily fair; not having seen it previously, I don’t have the nostalgia for the original that others do.

Reaction Score
I just felt there was zero chemistry between Cruise and McGillis; not to mention that her height—and Goose’s—really emphasized how short Cruise is. I thought the relationship between him and Connelly seemed much more believable.

As for the rest, I’ll admit that judging a 1986 Movie with 2022 eyes is not necessarily fair; not having seen it previously, I don’t have the nostalgia for the original that others do.

That’s because you are a Communist.

Reaction Score
I have no problem with that. The movie worked for you for the most part and not as much for me. I did enjoy it though.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Just watched. Good movie. Jennifer Connelly gets better looking every year.

One thought: Why does Goose's son look like Viper (Tom Skerritt)? Meg Ryan has some 'splainin' to do.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. Jennifer Connelly gets better looking every year.
She does look good, but not quite as good as Rocketeer Jennifer Connelly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
jetblast-pushingtin.gif

Reaction Score
Tom Cruise is the greatest actor of all time. Action thrillers, no question.

We watched Top Gun: Maverick last night. Great movie

As I mentioned in another thread, we kept waiting to figure out what Penny and Pete's connection was and I ended up googling. In hindsight, OK, got it. Now who would Amelia's father be?

Great sequel to a great movie with lots of references to the first. They did a great job of making a sequel 36 years later using a similar style and up to today's standards. I'd like to see a third similar to the Creed movies.

Here's a nice video with the tuneage and scenes to bring you back.

Reaction Score
So, what happened to Maverick and Darkstar when they hit Mach 10.4? I'm fine with the impossible happening in movies but did the jet disintegrate? Did the engines blow and it coasted for a while? at what point would he have ejected and would it have been survivable? just curious what the story is supposed to be.

balls stick jockey.JPG

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom