Top 25 WCBB Power Rankings. UConn #2 | The Boneyard

Top 25 WCBB Power Rankings. UConn #2

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Decent Top 25 list for 2020

1. South Carolina
This isn't as much of a landslide, unanimous No. 1 as many might think, but Dawn Staley and the Gamecocks are clearly the best team entering next season. They lose some terrific players in Mikiah Herbert Harrigan and Tyasha Harris to the WNBA, but return three starters in Zia Cooke, Brea Beal and Aliyah Boston — all sophomores. Boston may be the best post player in the country and we have only seen the beginning of what Cooke and Beal can do. Add incoming guard Eniya Russell to the mix and this is the team to beat.

2. UConn
Welcome to the Paige Bueckers era at UConn. Sure, she hasn't played one collegiate basketball game yet, but, I'll take my chances by saying she is UConn's next star. The early departure of Megan Walker to the WNBA hurts, but Tennessee transfer Evina Westbrook, who sat out this past season, will be back and ready to go for Geno Auriemma and the Huskies. Olivia Nelson-Ododa, Anna Makurat, and Cristyn Williams are returning starters, while Aubrey Griffin, who showed flashes of brilliance last season, also returns. Along with Bueckers, Auriemma also adds dynamic wing Aaliyah Edwards and another strong guard in Mir McLean--two other top-25 recruits. Depth was an issue for the Huskies last year. I don't see that being the case again with this group. Also, UConn is in the mix for DiJonai Carrington, a 5-foot-11 graduate transfer from Stanford. If Carrington, who missed all but five games last season, is healthy, the Huskies have a good case for the preseason No. 1 spot. This is a Final Four team on Day One already.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Seems like a mostly reasonable list. Not sure Arizona will be #4 but they will certainly be in contention for a top two seed. And calling it now: if there is a season, U$C is a sleeper top 25 pick.

And interesting that unlike many BYers, Ward thinks Carrington's potential transfer to the Huskies could be the difference in boosting them to pre-season number one.

Reaction Score
At least at this point it seems similar to last year, a clear top three and then a drop off to the next tier.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Kelly Campbell is such a big loss for DePaul that Gonzaga will also be missing her. Wait, what? :rolleyes: Katie Campbell, they were close. Fact checking and editing is so passe.

Reaction Score
I was thrown off with Arizona at 4 but they should be really good next year

Reaction Score
I had no idea that Arizona was going to be that good. McDonald must be an awesome player to carry a team that high. Speaking of awesome players, I'm surprised Kentucky was ranked that low with their special player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
No Texas? I'd put them on there due to Vic being the new coach....

A little article about Schaefer taking on the challenge Tyler Phommachanh take down Big Bad Baylor

A reference to UConn whipping Miss St by 60 and learning from that

"We know Baylor is a great team, Kim does a great job with that team. We have a lot of respect for her, but we’ll figure out how to get it done.”

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
C’mon...doing good?? Reasonable? Y’all really think ND is 13 to start the season next year? They lost me on that one.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
C’mon...doing good?? Reasonable? Y’all really think ND is 13 to start the season next year? They lost me on that one.

Too low or too high??? :confused::confused:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I had no idea that Arizona was going to be that good. McDonald must be an awesome player to carry a team that high. Speaking of awesome players, I'm surprised Kentucky was ranked that low with their special player.

It's not just McDonald, they keep adding more talent around her.

Reaction Score
And interesting that unlike many BYers, Ward thinks Carrington's potential transfer to the Huskies could be the difference in boosting them to pre-season number one.

If Carrington, who missed all but five games last season, is healthy, ...

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
It's not just McDonald, they keep adding more talent around her.
I watched a lot of Arizona and like Cate Reese a lot but no way are they the #4 team in the country. With luck they will be a top 10 team. Not sure that the way the ball bounced this year in their favor all the time will continue to do that next year when teams will be well aware of them.

I think as @TheFarmFan said, USC Trojans are interesting. What Mark Trakh has done in the short amount of time has been exceptional. I do worry about their overly physical style and the fact they can't really keep up with "running and transition teams" but in the slow down-keep possessions at minimum PAC12 world of OSU, Stanford, AZ, ASU and CSU style they will be very good. When against UCLA and Oregon, their lack of running will hurt them.

Texas has some really good pieces that Vic may do very well with-Charli and Celeste plus what ever else he can cobble together. However, it will be a shock to that team to figure out an offense after years of not having a plan at all. Who is their point guard???

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I watched a lot of Arizona and like Cate Reese a lot but no way are they the #4 team in the country. With luck they will be a top 10 team. Not sure that the way the ball bounced this year in their favor all the time will continue to do that next year when teams will be well aware of them.

#4 may be a bit high, but I like their upside. They've taken big steps forward each of the last two seasons, I think they can continue their upward trend. They were inconsistent this season, but at their best they were really good. I'm not sure how much they snuck up on anybody, at least in the Pac 12. After the 18-19 season everybody had to be aware of them.

Reaction Score
Yeah Arizona is too high at #4, I say #7. I think Oregon is too high too at #9, Chavez, Boley & Shelley & the freshmen need to prove their top 10 material... they have the potential and will probably be a top 10 but I don’t see it now, maybe if Sabally had returned. Can’t wait for next season, hoping we have one!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Worth the price of admission. She is all that and then some.

As mentioned above, Cate Reese, while inconsistent at times, is also outstanding. Every once in a while she just doesn't go up strong enough and the ball doesn't go in. Often at exactly the worse moment, which is just bad luck, not lack of skill. I look for good things.

Much of the team - returning and new - are foreign players. So it is kind of hard to get a handle on them, but they are quite well thought of, so far as I know. The transfer from OK is eligible this season and I think she is on Canada's National Team, as is one of our players from Europe (on her national team, that is), IIRC.

We also have a 2 sport freshman player coming aboard, she will be playing both Volleyball and Basketball.

I don't want to guess what our "power ranking" should be, but I'll take top 10, no problem.

Reaction Score

I think as @TheFarmFan said, USC Trojans are interesting. What Mark Trakh has done in the short amount of time has been exceptional. I do worry about their overly physical style and the fact they can't really keep up with "running and transition teams" but in the slow down-keep possessions at minimum PAC12 world of OSU, Stanford, AZ, ASU and CSU style they will be very good. When against UCLA and Oregon, their lack of running will hurt them.

Texas has some really good pieces that Vic may do very well with-Charli and Celeste plus what ever else he can cobble together. However, it will be a shock to that team to figure out an offense after years of not having a plan at all. Who is their point guard???

Texas will have grad transfer Kyra Lambert from Duke (played high school ball in San Antonio). Other players who could see time at the position include junior combo guard Joanne Allen-Taylor, sophomore Izzy Palmer, and incoming freshman Ashley Chevalier. A real question mark is who will join Charlie Collier inside. Coaches are praying transfer Lauren Ebo from Penn State will get a waiver to play immediately. In the meantime, they may look for another player to add for this season.

Reaction Score
I'm a Pac-12 supporter, but IMO Arizona will be good, but not top 10. More likely top 15. Likewise, Oregon Ducks are top 20, not top 10. UCLA is also top 20, not top 15. Only Stanford is top 5 in the Pac-12. Oregon State seems about right as listed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom