Tom Izzo How Good Is He? | The Boneyard

Tom Izzo How Good Is He?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I like Tom Izzo I think he's a good coach and I also respect the hell out of Mich St. With that said if you look at his coaching in big games he kind of comes up short. His only title was 16 years ago in 2000. He's been to 7 final fours. Out of those 7 only 2 championship game appearances and 5 losses in semi-final games. So how good is he?

Reaction Score
He's great, needs that second title to pad his resume though. They are always there but have been steamrolled in a few big games.

Reaction Score
My beef with Izzo is his style of play. I don't know if he's bad at coaching guards or he just can't recruit high level guard play. But he's always trying to run offense with bigger slower players. Get some speed and ball handling.

Reaction Score
He gets more teams to the Final Four than you would expect based on their seeding. We denied him another in 2014.

That said, it begs the question: are his teams actually "Final Four" good and they just underperform during the regular season, or does he truly get merely decent teams to overachieve in March?

Reaction Score
No he's not. He's pretty clearly behind Pitino, IMO. I think he's about on par with somebody like Boeheim.

Nah he's a better coach than Boeheim and fairly easily. Not sure as you said, #2 or not. But clearly he's a Top 5 guy for those still coaching and can be thrown in with Pitino as 2,3.

Reaction Score
Boeheim and Pitino have had way more talent to work with. Boeheim sucks compared to Izzo. Pitino has done more with better players. They are probably pretty even as coaches. As human beings it isn't even close. Pitino is a cheating snake. Izzo does it the right way. Unfortunately, the right way doesn't win a lot of championships unless you are Calhoun. What we witnessed was miraculous. It was probably the nuns....

Reaction Score
I always liked what KO said in the post game after beating MSU. He was asked about matching up with such a tough physical team like MSU. His reaponse was freakin' awesome. Something along the lines of, were tough too. But mentally tough. It's not a wrestling match. It's basketball.

I sometimes feel Izzo is more concerned about playing physical than he is about playing basketball. The last sentence is me...not KO

Reaction Score
Nah he's a better coach than Boeheim and fairly easily. Not sure as you said, #2 or not. But clearly he's a Top 5 guy for those still coaching and can be thrown in with Pitino as 2,3.

If you compare Izzo's resume to Boeheim's the last decade and a half, they are not much different. Izzo has a couple more final fours, but Boeheim's teams, at least recently, have struck me as better overall.

Izzo 'does more with less' is a bit oversold. He gets players. Not McDonald's all-Americans, necessarily, but Boeheim doesn't get that many either.

Reaction Score
Boeheim and Pitino have had way more talent to work with. Boeheim sucks compared to Izzo. Pitino has done more with better players. They are probably pretty even as coaches. As human beings it isn't even close. Pitino is a cheating snake. Izzo does it the right way. Unfortunately, the right way doesn't win a lot of championships unless you are Calhoun. What we witnessed was miraculous. It was probably the nuns....

Why do you say Pitino has had way more talent? Maybe when he was at Kentucky, since he's been at Louisville it's been a pretty similar approach to Izzo.

Reaction Score
Why do you say Pitino has had way more talent? Maybe when he was at Kentucky, since he's been at Louisville it's been a pretty similar approach to Izzo.

Pitino has done great with some less than heralded players much like JC. Maybe not as many or as much but at least similar.

Boeheim has consistently gotten better players than most and has done less with them throughout his career. Some of his best years in the Big East was while teams like UConn, Seton Hall and Nova were finding themselves and thereafter, while the Cuse was still good, he didn't win as much as the better coaches found a way to beat him. He's one of the greats on record alone but not even Top 10 in my mind.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
I'm also in the Pitino > Izzo camp

Reaction Score
If you compare Izzo's resume to Boeheim's the last decade and a half, they are not much different. Izzo has a couple more final fours, but Boeheim's teams, at least recently, have struck me as better overall.

Izzo 'does more with less' is a bit oversold. He gets players. Not McDonald's all-Americans, necessarily, but Boeheim doesn't get that many either.
The Izzo doesn't get talent thing is nonsense, he doesn't get talent like K and Cal but he has had more McDonald's all-americans than Calhoun had in his whole career. Also, Pitino is clearly ahead of Izzo.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Saying a guy isn't a great coach because he has too many losses in the final 4...WHAT?!? Counter-intuitive

Reaction Score
I think Izzo is an excellent coach, but Pitino is better. Pitino has had great players, but his Providence Final Four team might have been the least talented I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
I like Tom Izzo I think he's a good coach and I also respect the hell out of Mich St. With that said if you look at his coaching in big games he kind of comes up short. His only title was 16 years ago in 2000. He's been to 7 final fours. Out of those 7 only 2 championship game appearances and 5 losses in semi-final games. So how good is he?

"He's been to too many final fours" is a new one.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
"He's been to too many final fours" is a new one.
Like the line from Major League (when I think the Yankees were crushing homers off them mid season):

"Too far? How would it be too far?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro