To AD Dave: The New Big East Is Not the Old Big East | Page 5 | The Boneyard

To AD Dave: The New Big East Is Not the Old Big East

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
No such thing as P6...a puff PR move.

But UConn was saving it's most valuable commodity...basketball...which was not doing well in the AAC.
That was a factor, no doubt, but the most recent AAC contract was just plain bad. As posted here frequently, on a net basis the BE "old" contract for just basketball exceeded the American's "new contract" for football and basketball. That's crazy. The differential will only increase when the BE gets a new deal.

CL82

Reaction Score
If UConn was winning conference championships in football and basketball it absolutely would have stayed in the AAC.
I'm not so sure. The American contract was a nightmare. I think we'd have looked around regardless. The difference is that people might have had more of an interest in our football if it was at least competent, never mind winning championships.

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure. The American contract was a nightmare. I think we'd have looked around regardless. The difference is that people might have had more of an interest in our football if it was at least competent, never mind winning championships.

I'm pretty much in agreement. I think the driving force for UConn leaving the AAC was not the money, but the fact that so many games were going to move to a streaming platform only. I recall being at the women's final four after the AAC deal was announced, and it was certainly a major thorn of contention for UConn officials who spoke at fan gatherings.

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm pretty much in agreement. I think the driving force for UConn leaving the AAC was not the money, but the fact that so many games were going to move to a streaming platform only. I recall being at the women's final four after the AAC deal was announced, and it was certainly a major thorn of contention for UConn officials who spoke at fan gatherings.
Yep, the original American deal traded money for exposure. The new deal lacked either.

Reaction Score
The goal all along was to get into the ACC or B1G so if UConn Football was winning the AAC or at least competing for the championship, the only place it would be looking is Power 5. It would have helped elevate the conference rather than weigh it down. I suppose UConn may have still considered going independent if it meant more money but leaving the AAC would have been an extremely risky move. That's my opinion but given that level of success I don't think anyone would have left to go indie. The AAC finished the 2019-2020 season ranked 4th or 5th best rpi conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
The goal all along was to get into the ACC or B1G so if UConn Football was winning the AAC or at least competing for the championship, the only place it would be looking is Power 5. It would have helped elevate the conference rather than weigh it down. I suppose UConn may have still considered going independent if it meant more money but leaving the AAC would have been an extremely risky move. That's my opinion but given that level of success I don't think anyone would have left to go indie. The AAC finished the 2019-2020 season ranked 4th or 5th best rpi conference.
The bottom line is, well, the bottom line. UConn playing in the American was not financial sustainable. Bad media money and bad exposure? Why would anyone stay unless they have not options?

Oh and how was UConn "weighing down the conference" by winning national championships?

Reaction Score
The bottom line is, well, the bottom line. UConn playing in the American was not financial sustainable. Bad media money and bad exposure? Why would anyone stay unless they have not options?

Oh and how was UConn "weighing down the conference" by winning national championships?
The premise was, if UConn was challenging for conference championships, and if that were they case, it would have been going to bowl games and perhaps the conference would have gotten a better tv deal. It's all hypothetical but in that scenario, the best G5 conference would be the best place for the football program.

CL82

Reaction Score
The premise was, if UConn was challenging for conference championships, and if that were they case, it would have been going to bowl games and perhaps the conference would have gotten a better tv deal. It's all hypothetical but in that scenario, the best G5 conference would be the best place for the football program.
Lol, you are right. Even more so, if UConn had won the national championship in football every year it was a part of the conference, the American probably would’ve gotten a better TV deal. Tragically that didn’t happen. Is it Connecticut fault, I guess, they didn’t win football national championships but that seems like a silly thought process.

Reaction Score
Connecticut was really a bust in its AAC years. Yes they won a NCAA basketball title early but never really lived up to its billing after that. 1 more bid and that the result of a once in a lifetime shot. In football. It was a mess. When you are the big name and you fail dismally it is a major setback for the league. Had the Huskies been what Villanova was in the NBE and a bowl contender/ league champ in football as it had been that would have made a difference for the league. It was neither. Villanova alone has kept a meh Big East relevant. UConn could have done the same thing for the AAC.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The AAC never treated the only member of that crap conference to win a title with the respect it deserved. Screw 'em all. Except Cincy.

Reaction Score
“UConn only won 1 basketball national championship for the AAC”.

Still more than any other program, right? UConn’s title is the greatest achievement in the history of the AAC.

UConn could have been better in FB and BB in recent years, but it wouldn’t have measurably changed the TV deal. The P6 myth was exposed. This was the 2nd TV deal, with time to position, negotiate, and extract the AAC’s full value. It’s just not that valuable.

Reaction Score
I think that the last train has left for Clarksville.

The UConn brass made a decision. They realized that you can't stand for years on the station platform, bags in hand, straining to hear the thrum of the rails. Life goes on.

Switching to Mellencamp...

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be

CL82

Reaction Score
I think that the last train has left for Clarksville.

The UConn brass made a decision. They realized that you can't stand for years on the station platform, bags in hand, straining to hear the thrum of the rails. Life goes on.

Switching to Mellencamp...

No I cannot forget where it is that I come from
I cannot forget the people who love me
Yeah, I can be myself here in this small town
And people let me be just what I want to be
“Winning national championships in my small town…” :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes...and that's why UConn went back home....

Just click the heels of your ruby slippers and say....

Reaction Score
And when we grow up we begin to understand...it's not that there is "no place like home", but rather there is really no longer any such place as "home".... except for the home we make.

EDIT...forgive me for my wandering...on a philosophical tear this morning.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, going 10-2, 6-2 in AAC gets you The Boca Raton or the Gazpiralla Bowl against FAU or Marshall.
UConn going into the AAC definitely made it a less desirable job. That's why you ended up with a coach who really didn't want to work with kids and another one who was a modern day Rasputin, thanking other teams who slapped us around for being great partners in making us a better program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And Liberty, as an Indy, went 10-1 and went to the Cure Bowl to play Coastal Carolina.

And Louisianna went 11-2 (with the win over Liberty) and went to Mobile to play in the Lending Tree Bowl.

And 9-0 Cincinnati played Georgia in the Peach Bowl (my favorite bowl for sentimental reasons).

Last edited:

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, going 10-2, 6-2 in AAC gets you The Boca Raton or the Gazpiralla Bowl against FAU or Marshall.
UConn going into the AAC definitely made it a less desirable job. That's why you ended up with a coach who really didn't want to work with kids and another one who was a modern day Rasputin, thanking other teams who slapped us around for being great partners in making us a better program.
But he won breakfast! You can't take that away from him, or this...

1611766317163.png

Reaction Score
Or if you are in ACC..to the American College of Cardiology...WWW.ACC.org

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think everybody recognizes the AAC as a pretty good football conference. Some good hoops too. Some good schools. The dichotomy of the AAC is that people have interest being in the conference but very little interest in the schools within the conference save a couple. No matter how good or bad we are it will feel like playing an OOC schedule. Getting Navy home once every 6-8 years?

Reaction Score
Just any kind of sign.

NCAA football: How will college sports change after pandemic? (yahoo.com)

"Perhaps more relevant to the prospect of a significant shakeup is the ACC’s untenable television deal that new commissioner Jim Phillips inherits. The ACC is locked up through 2035-36, and the fixed income of that contract essentially puts the league in cement financial shoes as its peers are poised to distance themselves from the ACC financially.

Can a creative and dynamic solution arise — like the addition of new big-brand partners — to prompt a new deal? It’s tricky, as ESPN didn’t become a worldwide conglomerate by ripping up deals that are tilted significantly in its favor.

Also relevant is that the AAC has already engaged with Boise State and San Diego State about potentially joining. It’d be naïve to not brace for another round of realignment at both the Power Five and Group of Five level."

1611847030548.png

"

Reaction Score
Just any kind of sign.

NCAA football: How will college sports change after pandemic? (yahoo.com)

"Perhaps more relevant to the prospect of a significant shakeup is the ACC’s untenable television deal that new commissioner Jim Phillips inherits. The ACC is locked up through 2035-36, and the fixed income of that contract essentially puts the league in cement financial shoes as its peers are poised to distance themselves from the ACC financially.

Can a creative and dynamic solution arise — like the addition of new big-brand partners — to prompt a new deal? It’s tricky, as ESPN didn’t become a worldwide conglomerate by ripping up deals that are tilted significantly in its favor.

Also relevant is that the AAC has already engaged with Boise State and San Diego State about potentially joining. It’d be naïve to not brace for another round of realignment at both the Power Five and Group of Five level."

View attachment 64010
"
Time for UConn to take ACC membership very seriously. Gov. Lamont needs to implement the kind of advisory panel he has for COVID. And both men's BB and FB need to start improving! And no more Virgin Islands trips for the AD and UConn Pres. while selection is being made.

Reaction Score
Time for UConn to take ACC membership very seriously. Gov. Lamont needs to implement the kind of advisory panel he has for COVID. And both men's BB and FB need to start improving! And no more Virgin Islands trips for the AD and UConn Pres. while selection is being made.
They need to tell ESPN that they will increase their taxes to 50 million if they don't get UConn to a P5.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom