TN Postgame Thread [merged] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

TN Postgame Thread [merged]

Reaction Score
Paige was the only player to hit >50% on FTs. It must be a UConn thing (if you watch the men, you know what I mean)

Reaction Score
What a great day for watching basketball! I started at 7 am and it felt like a LOTR or HP marathon on TNT lol I'll keep this simple:
1. A tough, gutsy win--this will help them down the road! ?
2. Very happy for Evina! ?
3. Paige--at the end...WOW! Just hope her ankle is ok!
4. CW played a great game and Liv with some huge blocks!
6. TN played a hard-fought game! Kudos to them!
7. What ever happened to Kudos candy bars? lol
8. Very odd 3 point selection throughout the game and the FT situation was a nightmare
9. I miss Pat. So happy 20,000 was raised for the PS Foundation ???

"In a world where you can be anything...be KIND"

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Bad ankle? I didn't see the game. What happened to Paige?
Rolled her ankle in the 4th qtr dropping a beautiful dime on Christyn for a key layup. Had to come out and get it tape, returned to the game and hit a monster 3 with time running out on the shot clock to effectively put the game out of reach.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
As someone posted in the Chat, the top 2 things I'll remember from this game are 10-21 on FTs and ONO's 4 3-pt attempts
And Griffin shooting 1 for 3 from 3. Why is she shooting outside?

Reaction Score
Page had an excellent game even though she did not shoot well. You can shoot poorly and still get it done.
Excellent game?

She contributed with Reb & Asst, including a clutch 3, despite having a terrible shooting night. It was good. Nowhere near excellent.

Reaction Score
What a nerve racking game...TN played very well on defense...lucky for UConn, TN still does not have an offense.
Who told Liv she should be shooting those 3's? every time she shoot one of those i cringed....Page was missing a lot t of shots she makes every game so it must be nerves and the size of the TN guards but that last 3 on a twisted ankle with the time running out (nothing but net) is why she'll be a UConn legend!
The Free Throws...that was pathetic...if i would have been the TN coach i would just have UConn go to the line for the last 4 min....TN would have won the game

Reaction Score
A number of curious decisions by Geno. UConn up by 9 - TN can't score on UConn zone. Why do you go man to man? Beginning of game - most of UConn's shots by ONO and Aubrey from 3 point land? Particularly 1st half - UConn getting killed on TN offensive rebounds. Many of them when Aubrey lets herself gets pushed too far under basket. Give her some coaching so she knows where to position herself for rebounds.
I agree, Geno was rusty tonight as well, but got in done in the end.

Reaction Score
What a game. Why was Olivia taking outside shots instead of being down low?
Was saying the same thing all night. Also, overall a lot of standing around on offense, too much dribbling, and very poor rebounding and foul shooting, But hey, a win is a win, and good experience for the youngsters. Evina was huge down the stretch!

Reaction Score
The Legend of Paige started tonight. That 3-point sequence at the end of the game will be replayed for years to come. Her will to win is just amazing. Even though each of her shots seemed to be half-way in before falling out, she did all the other things - tons of rebounds, assists & steals playing all game until her injury. Diving all over the floor. And after what looked like a pretty nasty ankle injury, she hit the most important shot of the game. You can't coach that!

Reaction Score
T his has to change. Geno has to change up the offense to make her stay low.
I dont understand why everyone doesnt get this. They were being left wide open. Key was staying 10 feet away. I AM SURE that Geno told them to shoot it if that was happening.

Maybe it wasnt the right game plan, but I doubt they decided on their own "I'm going to do my Steph Curry impression tonight."

Reaction Score
Evina - Started off slow and caused a couple silly turnovers, definitely had to play out the nerves but she didn't force things and showed up when it mattered with the dagger threes.

Olivia - Kind of a quiet game from her but I also think it's difficult for her to get good looks in the post against Tennessee's size when her companion most of the game was Aubrey. Had a couple important rebounds and blocks that gave us extra possessions towards the end of the game.

Christyn - Hopefully with Geno's comments and her performances in the last two games this is the beginning of a new chapter for her here at UConn. I forgot just how athletic and springy she can be when attacking the basket and creating shots and I hope going forward we get to see more of it out of her because she really is too gifted to let it go to waste.

Aubrey - Seems like deep down Aubrey although quiet is a big game player. I thought some of the fouls called on her were a bit much but putting that aside she along with Christyn really kept UConn in the game early and I LOVEEEEEE seeing her taking 3's and hitting them...her upside is so sky high that if she starts hitting those shots regularly and even just hitting 15-20 footers regularly she's going to be insanely hard to guard.

Anna - Honestly with the players we have coming in (including Saylor this season) and Anna's regression this season I actually do worry about her long term prospects on this team. I think she's very talented and intelligent but she seems to be unable to assert herself and to lack confidence and on a team with so much talent that worries me.

Paige - Shot poorly but she still got the shots she wanted (there's always a positive with Paige) and honestly that three in the fourth quarter really sealed the game in my mind. That's what All-Americans do, close out big important games with big time shots and she did it on a lame ankle no less. To go with that three she had the beautiful little pass through the Lady Vol defenders to Christyn for the layup in the fourth and had another 6 assists in the game and a bunch of defensive rebounds.

Aaliyah - I thought she played as well as could be expected for a freshman in a big game and did what the team needed her to do. Be a presence inside, open things up a bit, knock down open shots, and bring a little nasty.

P.S. This was the first game this year that I felt the adrenaline going and it felt good to watch this team trade shots with a worthy opponent. Can't wait for Arkansas and South Carolina.

Last edited:

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Going to zone in fourth was a great move by the Vols. UConn did not adjust well. They were trying to penetrate through it.

Tennessee may not be a top ten team but their size, especially at guard is going to be a matchup nightmare for most teams. Burrell is nice player. UConn did a nice job on her in the second half.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Rolled her ankle in the 4th qtr dropping a beautiful dime on Christyn for a key layup. Had to come out and get it tape, returned to the game and hit a monster 3 with time running out on the shot clock to effectively put the game out of reach.
I'm not saying it was a lucky shot, but she didn't have time to think about it, as the shot clock went off while the ball was in the air. Sometimes it's better if you don't have time to think about it. Excellent experience and confidence builder for Paige.

Reaction Score
I won’t sit here and take the “Paige had a Bad Game” stuff! The freshman almost had a triple double...WTH?!?!! She had a not so good shooting game, SO WHAt? When she hit that 3 at the end of the fourth I bet y’all heartbeats finally calmed! Tough fans...but I love it! When I see greatness I expect greatness, so I definitely understand but DANNNNNNNG! Great grind out win!!!!!

** But those free throws had my stomach churning.**

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Why is it that some are saying Tennessee's height was trouble for UConn? Georgia is shorter than UConn and Tennessee did not stop them from outscoring them 29 to 9 in one quarter. I do wonder why the coaching allowed Tennessee to dictate the tempo. Also, after the last games some were saying UConn will go 8 to 9 deep. Now some of those same people are saying UConn will go only 6 deep. What is it?

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
SOOOOO happy for Evina. She was the spark when thing looked bleak. Those clutch 3s!! I wanted this very bad for her.

Artistically, a really bad game for national TV. Tennessee was trying hard to lose this game down the stretch and we FINALLY allowed them to do so.

Awful shooting night for Paige but she made the biggest one (and on one leg)! The legend continues. Hope she's OK for Arkansas, cause we'll NEED her.

Reaction Score
Having ONO and Griffin outside most of the first half clogged up the offense, besides having their worst shooters take the most 3's. No accident that UConn went on a run when Griffin when to the bench 2nd half.

Reaction Score
Tenn fans on volnation begging for round 2 in March . They seem satisfied with the performance in a loss LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom