TN Postgame Thread [merged] | The Boneyard

TN Postgame Thread [merged]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the TN game:
  • UConn finally played a game that generated some genuine anxiety relative to the outcome. TN’s length and athleticism provided a challenge that UConn hasn’t faced this season.
  • While TN was a better defensive team then UConn has played this year, UConn missed open shots both outside and inside the arc, as well as a bunch of FT’s, appearing tentative until money time at the end of the game.
  • This is a game where players need to make plays. Christyn made a bunch of plays for UConn. She wasn’t getting a whole lot of help early, particularly after Aubrey picked up her 4th foul.
  • Evina stuck a dagger in LV fans hearts tonight. I’m sure she feels a great sense of redemption.
  • Paige’s game tonight reminded me a little of DT’s game her freshmen year in the national semifinal. Geno knew enough to keep Paige in the game until she finally started making plays down the stretch, Ultimately Paige hit one of those legendary shots that we'll all be talking about for years to come, on a bad ankle.
  • UConn really needs to play and learn from games like this if they are to have a chance to advance deep into the Big Dance. Let’s hope they learned a lot tonight.

Reaction Score
It's amazing that the final buzzer has not sounded and OldDude has already posted his victory run.

I did not like the way the team played. If you saw it, you know why. What I did like was the fact that the Team did not give up and played to win. That is my biggest take away.

Nice victory but it was stressful.

Reaction Score
Surprised at how many were surprised. Not too much was unexpected.

2 concerns going in were Paige's first match against good, big guards and the size issue for Ono. And we know this isnt a good shooting team. All 3 were factors.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Very physical game for Paige tonight. She was bumped, pushed and held on every offensive series. She faced length on every shot. Yet even after twisting that ankle she hits the game winner. This team finally played better on both ends when both AE and Liv were on the floor together. In the end the vets finally came through. They need more games like this to get them ready for Dancing. AG played a nice game, and if not for fouls she would have had a bigger impact. But man, FT's, and 3 shooting were worse here than against DePaul. One of the worse I've seen since I started watching UConn. Once again though Evina was a dog tonight, and if she stays healthy UConn will remain very tough. A very tough, gritty win for this young, undersized team. My co-players of the game are CW and again, Evina the junk yard dog.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A win is a win but... totally unsatisfying.

Free throw shooting was a mystifying joke.

In spite of going 0 for whatever (almost - she was 3-14 I know), Paige almost had a triple double with 9 points, 8 boards and 7 assists. That 3 pointer at the end was the dagger.

If our game plan involves 7 3-point attempts from Olivia and Aubrey, that spells trouble. In a blowout that's nice. In a tight game, WTH?

Almost zero from the bench except for Aaliyah. For those (myself included) who were so excited about the depth, it pretty much showed we are about 6 deep right now in a big game, and Tennessee isn't close to a top 10 team.

Aubrey cemented herself as the 5th starter IMHO. She brings something to the floor that no one else does.

Olivia will get destroyed by Boston. Geno better have a plan B.

I was so hoping Evina would hit those last two 3-pointers. What a feeling for her - I bet she's so glad the game is over, and she played a huge role in the win.

Christyn - man - she may have missed a few shots, but give the girl props for playing her guts out.

Gutsy and well played 4th quarter. How about bring that the entire game? So many open shots were missed.

Reaction Score
Big thing is seeing how a team responds in adverse situations, and this team did that big time in 4Q. That's huge.

I remember the 99-00 team got excited about an early season win over Kentucky (which was NOT good back then). The coaches thought it was no big deal. But the players had been through a miserable 98-99 season in which it had folded in some big games. So even though beating KY was not impressive, the situation gave the players confidence.

Reaction Score
UCONN was very lucky to get out of Rocky Top with a win tonight. With only 3 players (CW, Evina and Aubrey) scoring in Double Figures, and outside of that BIG TIME 3 Pointer by Paige at the end, Paige did not have a good game at all. Edwards had some good moments off the bench, however our Bench got out-scored 10 to 6. If we play like this against Arkansas, we are going to lose big time. WAKE UP GAME for this young team. We are not nearly as good as our press and fans think we are "presently" (but we still can come out on Saturday and take it out on Georgetown).

Golden Husky

The Midas Touch
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the TN game:
  • UConn finally played a game that generated some genuine anxiety relative to the outcome. TN’s length and athleticism provided a challenge that UConn hasn’t faced this season.
  • While TN was a better defensive team then UConn has played this year, UConn missed open shots both outside and inside the arc, as well as a bunch of FT’s, appearing tentative until money time at the end of the game.
  • This is a game where players need to make plays. Christyn made a bunch of plays for UConn. She wasn’t getting a whole lot of help early, particularly after Aubrey picked up her 4th foul.
  • Evina stuck a dagger in LV fans hearts tonight. I’m sure she feels a great sense of redemption.
  • Paige’s game tonight reminded me a little of DT’s game her freshmen year in the national semifinal. Geno knew enough to keep Paige in the game until she finally started making plays down the stretch, Ultimately Paige hit one of those legendary shots that we'll all be talking about for years to come, on a bad ankle.
  • UConn really needs to play and learn from games like this if they are to have a chance to advance deep into the Big Dance. Let’s hope they learned a lot tonight.
Bad ankle? I didn't see the game. What happened to Paige?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom