TN Postgame Thread [merged] | Page 10 | The Boneyard

TN Postgame Thread [merged]

Reaction Score
I guess I saw a different game. When Anna was in she positioned herself for several three point shots. Her teammates NEVER passed to her. on the base line on the left and mid side on the right. wide open and no passes. Can't get hot if you can't get the ball

It could be that her teammates- and her coach- have lost confidence in her. When she gets the ball this season, she passes up open shots, only opting to score, as Coach Geno has pointed out, in the fourth quarter after the game has been decided. This is the second straight game in which Makurat has not scored. And during those two games, she's only attempted one shot. Unlike earlier games, she also did little in terms of assist, credited with just one in twelve minutes.

Anna has now scored just under 5 ppg, compared with nearly 4 ppg for Mir McLean. Yet Anna has played four times as many minutes as Mir: 28 mpg versus 7 mpg. And she's ranked behind previous non-starters Aubrey Griffin and Aaliyah Edwards in scoring as well. And in the previous game, while Anna was not scoring or attempting a shot, McLean notched 6 points in just 10 minutes. Clearly, Makurat has the physical frame, the skills, the outside shot, to be successful. That's why Coach Geno put her in the starting lineup to begin the season. But there appears to be a large, and growing, deficit of self-confidence that is keeping Anna from performing at the level of a starter. She needs to get her mind right, and soon, in order to begin contributing as one would expect from a player on a crowded roster should to deserve big minutes. And, yes, if this keeps up, her presence on the floor could be severely limited next year when Fudd and Ducharme show up, and when Poffenbarger is in UConn shape and has learned the offense.

Wishing her luck, and hoping for a turnaround. But seems clear why she's now coming off the bench, and for decreasing minutes.

Reaction Score
ONO and AG maybe shot one to many 3’s but they were necessary. At some point down the stretch of the season, you will need ONO and AG, to be able to hit some outside shots.
Liv is such a good passer from the post, I wish they would have given her more post attempts and let her pass back out to the shooters. When posting it seems that ONO and AE received a few dump off passes from dribble drive in the 4th quarter.
Agree that ONO needs to be able to take outside shots but not Griffin. With both ONO and Griffin outside, it clogged the court for everyone elsen and lessens the ability for offensive rebounds. If you were the opposition coach, would you give Griffin every 3 pointer she wanted if it prevented ONO from shooting layups and getting your bigs in foul trouble? No accident that UConn went on its comeback when Griffin went to the bench. Not a shot at Griffin, but the game plan of having both outside was not working.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It could be that her teammates- and her coach- have lost confidence in her. When she gets the ball this season, she passes up open shots, only opting to score, as Coach Geno has pointed out, in the fourth quarter after the game has been decided. This is the second straight game in which Makurat has not scored. And during those two games, she's only attempted one shot. Unlike earlier games, she also did little in terms of assist, credited with just one in twelve minutes.

Anna has now scored just under 5 ppg, compared with nearly 4 ppg for Mir McLean. Yet Anna has played four times as many minutes as Mir: 28 mpg versus 7 mpg. And she's ranked behind previous non-starters Aubrey Griffin and Aaliyah Edwards in scoring as well. And in the previous game, while Anna was not scoring or attempting a shot, McLean notched 6 points in just 10 minutes. Clearly, Makurat has the physical frame, the skills, the outside shot, to be successful. That's why Coach Geno put her in the starting lineup to begin the season. But there appears to be a large, and growing, deficit of self-confidence that is keeping Anna from performing at the level of a starter. She needs to get her mind right, and soon, in order to begin contributing as one would expect from a player on a crowded roster should to deserve big minutes. And, yes, if this keeps up, her presence on the floor could be severely limited next year when Fudd and Ducharme show up, and when Poffenbarger is in UConn shape and has learned the offense.

Wishing her luck, and hoping for a turnaround. But seems clear why she's now coming off the bench, and for decreasing minutes.
And remember Saylor is on the way...with more height and at least equal long range skills

Reaction Score
Liv battled and did some good things, especially in the 2nd half. Not dominating doesn't mean she isn't competing. I don't think she deserves some of the shade thrown her way.
Aubrey's 4th foul was not smart and could've really hurt us.. She hasn't had that worry coming off the bench but if she's gonna play starters minutes, she's gotta be smart.
Anna's in a spiral... Losing minutes means fewer opportunities to play through her funk. Starting to look like foul/injury insurance.
It's trendy to call the huskies soft but I'm seeing some money time swag from pb, ew, and cw. I like it.
It was fun to see a competitive game.
As some say, we must have seen a different game. Anna did exactly what you would hope a sub would do - come in and maintain or increase the level of play. Aubrey did alot of things well. She also missed a number of shots, got crushed in the first half on the defensive boards, and got a number of fouls at a critical time in the game. Remember, UConn got and increased its lead when Aubrey was out of game. Anna did nothing spectacular but did her job. Not seeing any "spiral."

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
OMG. Looking at this clip, I did not realize Anna was open in the corner and just a slight shift in Paige's mood might have made her pass and history would be different. Why? Irregardless if Anna made the shot, Geno would have run out on the court and sat her down for the rest of the year. :eek::eek:
No... history would have been different indeed. One more pass to Anna would have resulted in a shot clock violation. The shot clock expired as Paige's shot was in flight.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
As some say, we must have seen a different game. Anna did exactly what you would hope a sub would do - come in and maintain or increase the level of play. Aubrey did alot of things well. She also missed a number of shots, got crushed in the first half on the defensive boards, and got a number of fouls at a critical time in the game. Remember, UConn got and increased its lead when Aubrey was out of game. Anna did nothing spectacular but did her job. Not seeing any "spiral."
A couple of clear blow-bys on D, but mainly on offense, she's just not making the plays we'd expect from her last year. If Mir was playing at Anna's level we'd be ecstatic, but Anna should be showing some progress, no?

Reaction Score

I think the key stat for Anna is does UConn score when she is in game. While she gets criticized on this Board, other teams come out and guard her. A good passer, she opens the floor up for the other shooters with her movement and gets the ball where it needs to go. Anyone who saw how UConn's offense was stagnant the first half will understand the value of opening the court up. If you run a motion offense, this is critical. Tough game last night but lets not give the starters more credit than they deserve - they only scored 67 points against a barely ranked team. Agree that Anna needs to shoot more but will continue to be a key sub no matter what.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
What a game. Why was Olivia taking outside shots instead of being down low?
I think the answer is obvious. That's the way Geno wanted it. If not Liv would have been on the bench faster than Old Dude makes his post game threads. {Which I look forward to} The coach wanted to spread the defense out making it easier to run the offense while getting to the bucket. He isn't kidding when hw says the isn't a good shooting team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1611332920926.png

My take? On an night when we struggled to get the ball in the basket, even from the free throw line, we found a way to win, on the road, against ranked team. That is what good teams to do.

While we wait for the next game, I strongly recommend that the girls spend sometime on the Steve Nash free throw drill... like a lot of time. If we shoot even 70% as a team, we win by ten points and everyone is a lot happier this morning.

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Much has been made about the 3Pt attempts taken last night and if it was part of the game plan and if the players had Geno's permission to launch those threes. Even Rebecca made a comment towards the end of the first quarter regarding bigs taking so many three that early in the shot clock. This prompted me to go back and look at the 1st quarter specifically with an eye on the shot clock and when those threes were taken.
Format: Player Attempting the shot, Time remaining on the shot clock, result
  1. Aubrey, 8 seconds, (Miss)
  2. Olivia, 18 seconds, (Miss)
  3. Paige. 20 seconds, Miss)
  4. Christyn, 18 seconds, (Made)
  5. Olivia, 22 seconds ( Miss)
  6. Aubrey 16 seconds (Made)
  7. Paige 20 seconds ( Miss)
  8. Olivia 18 seconds (Miss)
  9. Christyn 19 seconds ( Miss)
I don't believe this was part of the game plan. If it was part of the game plan it was a poor plan because it is very unusually for UCONN teams to be shooting that early in the shot clock. This is still TN and although they played good defense last night the way you beat TN is off with the secondary action like back door cuts. The secondary action does not have time to develop if UCONN is shooting that early in the shot clock. Someone has already noted that if Geno was not OK with this he would have stopped it. I don't have any good explanations for why Geno did not stop this except possibly this: This is still a relatively young team with a lot of growth to do. One other interesting note and in support of that point the only UCONN player to pass up a 3pt attempt in that 1st quarter was Evina Westbrook.

Last edited:

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
It was our 9th game in a weird season of start and stops. First big game, on the road, with fans, with a young team, and they showed they could come from behind late and pull it out. I'd be happy with a one point victory all things given.
Yes! Fans I know a lot of you want every game to be a blowout for the Huskies, have we forgot what it feels like when we are on the edge of our seats, our pulse is elevated, we are yelling at the TV, all the things that make us feel alive. A roller coaster of a game, my b. p. went wild I was in despair, I was elated, I had a pit in my stomach and I loved every minute of it. After 11 months of being stuck inside with the highlight of the day being do I eat dinner at 5pm or 5:15pm. I needed this type of game my fire is back and I bet the team's fire is hotter than at any time this season.
This game gives fuel to the coaches to show from game experience what the players individually and team wise needs to be done to improve. Yep there was poor shooting, lapses on defense, too much standing around at times, all which can be worked on. Dang I loved it, I don't want every game to be like this one but I stand a little taller today. Thank you Huskies one and all!

Reaction Score
Agree that ONO needs to be able to take outside shots but not Griffin. With both ONO and Griffin outside, it clogged the court for everyone elsen and lessens the ability for offensive rebounds. If you were the opposition coach, would you give Griffin every 3 pointer she wanted if it prevented ONO from shooting layups and getting your bigs in foul trouble? No accident that UConn went on its comeback when Griffin went to the bench. Not a shot at Griffin, but the game plan of having both outside was not working.
I totally get your assessment of clogging the lane. Just so that I'm clear. Which comeback are you talking about? There was several comeback's in this back and forth game which had multiple rotations.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Geno made a very relevant comment about the Aubrey/Liv shooting in the first quarter which no one seems to have picked up on. He said that he did tell them before the game that he wanted them to take midrange jump shots if they were open. But during the game, it was apparent that they took that as, "Forget about doing anything else -- cutting, screening, moving. Coach told me to take these shots if I was open, and I'm open, so here goes."

So he had to clarify his instructions, which he apparently did around the beginning of the second quarter. He said that the shots were good (i.e., wide open) in the first three quarters, but the offense wasn't good.

I think that explains what Coco painstakingly documented about the shooting propensity in the first quarter early in the shot clock.

Reaction Score

Seeing the clip of Paige's three again, I like h..g.ow Makarat went to the basket in case there was a rebound. I don't know if any other UConn players went to the basket, but Anna did- showed basketball smarts there.
She has a high basketball IQ and will do good things for TGIF
I don't want to rain on your parade but....and you are right Tennessee can hold their head up high they played the number 3 team well. I might be inclined to agree with you that maybe Tennessee should be ranked a little higher...and they will probably be rewarded for their play in this game in the next rankings.

I knew going in that 6'5", 6'2", 6'2", 6"2", 6'1" was going to be tough. UConn hasn't experienced that kind of length so far this year. UConn has missed too many games and hasn't really gotten into a rhythm yet. They were lucky to a certain extent...with ONO, Christyn and Aubrey on the bench with an already shortened bench...that they got out of there with a win.

The stat of the game was UConn was 10 for 21 from the line...they make 6 of those which would only be 76 percent from the line and UConn wins by 12 on the road. So far for the season they are shooting .689 from the line. Tonight they were only 25 for 61 from the floor...you have to credit TN's defense for that but, 41 percent from the floor is below their season's average of 53.1 percent. I think UConn was bothered by Tennessee's length. If this UConn team gets to see Tennessee again this season...I don't see them playing this poorly a second time around.

I think what may have gotten lost in all of this...is that our Freshman Paige Bueckers may have had an off shooting night but she was working on a triple double. 8 Rebounds, 7 assists and 9 points. If you throw in 3 steals and the dagger three pointer with 25 seconds to go in the game...and, what you have is a pretty solid all around game...that just about any player on the planet would be happy with.

In closing, Burrell was lights out...she did a great job. Rennia Davis had an off night. Christyn Williams played like an All Star and lived up to her high school number one ranking, Aubrey is the energizer bunny and having her on the floor is a blessing. Evina had an excellent game 15 points (two big back to back threes), 2 steals, 4 assists, 5 rebounds...she had to be an emotional wreck going into her old teams home gym.
If Saylor can acclimate and show Geno something before the NCAA tournament, she may be able to help against the Lady Vols if we have to play them again.
Not again...or "still" with Anna not getting passes? Is this going to be her legacy? Conspiracy theories all over again.

youtube fashion GIF
Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean no one is out to get you! I saw the same thing as Jayfromfla. Anna was open, really open, once frantically waving for the ball, but never even sniffed a chance. I’m not saying they are freezing her out, just that she is often open but does not get the ball. Perhaps she herself is partially responsible for this as she has shown a repeated reluctance to shoot the ball when she does get it. Anyway, I am worried about one of my favorite players on this team. I hope she can find her lost confidence and get back to where she was the second half of last season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Hello folks. I would like to comment on the game but find the game so hard to get my mind around I am going to spare you of my thoughts. I need to see it again, but even then I suspect I'll have nothing to contribute. Lots of good comments from the rest of you though.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Hello folks. I would like to comment on the game but find the game so hard to get my mind around I am going to spare you of my thoughts. I need to see it again, but even then I suspect I'll have nothing to contribute. Lots of good comments from the rest of you though.
Recommend you FF to 4th quarter. :D

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
For my way of thinking a long shot for a post is 17 feet. 2 feet behind the free throw line. Hit that shot and your opposing post has to come to 14-15 feet away from the hoop. This does two things 1) opens up the potential high-low game because the you can make a pass from 17 feet that you can't make from 22. 2) brings a rebounder away to open up the opportunity for offensive boards.

Liv and Aubrey were both outside their range. Also of the 3 posts the one who seems to have the best shot from 15-17 is Aaliyah. I would love to see her more on the high post and able to dish to Liv.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
EXACTLY!!!!!! Why in the world doesn't Coach Geno take her out of the game whenever she attempts one of her terrible outside shots? She should be made to run laps- or steps- or something. Absolutely hurts the team when she does that.
Watch the coach's post game press conference.

Reaction Score
The double technical last night ....what was that all about? Obviously Uconn got the better end of it with possession after the foul shots.

Reaction Score
I dont understand why everyone doesnt get this. They were being left wide open. Key was staying 10 feet away. I AM SURE that Geno told them to shoot it if that was happening.

Maybe it wasnt the right game plan, but I doubt they decided on their own "I'm going to do my Steph Curry impression tonight."

There is a reason why they were being left wide open; just because a player is left wide open doesn't mean it is a good shot for them to take.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom