TJ Weist Offensive Analyst, Baltimore Ravens | The Boneyard

TJ Weist Offensive Analyst, Baltimore Ravens

Reaction Score
Just read this article from last month. Great to see TJ back in the business as an assistant coach with the Ravens.
IMG_0528.JPG

NFL Draft first duty for Bay City's T.J. Weist as Baltimore Ravens assistant

Reaction Score
I’ll never understand the love affair some had with him. Seemed like a good guy and you had to admire the short sleeves vs Memphis, but he was 3-5 and has never gotten another sniff. Best to him, but on what basis would you think we’d have been better? He never ran a program, hired a staff, recruited, etc. he’s barely coordinated.

I’d much rather we ask why every OC that seems to come in and open up the field is no sooner gone. He might have been a good OC under a competent staff.

Reaction Score
I’ll never understand the love affair some had with him. Seemed like a good guy and you had to admire the short sleeves vs Memphis, but he was 3-5 and has never gotten another sniff. Best to him, but on what basis would you think we’d have been better? He never ran a program, hired a staff, recruited, etc. he’s barely coordinated.

I’d much rather we ask why every OC that seems to come in and open up the field is no sooner gone. He might have been a good OC under a competent staff.
Not to mention those three wins were against statistically three of the worst defenses in the country that year.

Reaction Score
Put me on team TJ.

Everything I know from every successful organization points to TJ being a very good choice as an HC.

He had a vision knew how to evaluate talent and how to shock the existing system.

I don’t want to trash the guy because he seemed very likeable and frankly I was hoping he’d get a shot at OC, but there’s not a scintilla of evidence that supports your hunch.

What exactly was his vision? He never recruited. And the so-called shock was lambasting RU. Moreover, your argument is that there is no successful organization out there as he’s never sniffed a head gig.

I hope he’s happy in Baltimore. And successful. RE showed that route can open up doors so maybe he will get that chance someday.

Reaction Score
The UConn fan cult following of this guy is truly unbelievable.

If you call respect for TJ Weist a cult following and that posting information on where he landed as truly unbelievable it's your choice but you come off sounding condescending. TJ wants to be a head coach some day. I hope this next step gets him closer to his goal.

And, at age 52, he continues tackling new challenges in his career while climbing the coaching ladder.

"As a coach, you take it year by year and hopefully build on each season," he said. "This was a great opportunity to get in the NFL. Now hopefully I stay in the NFL and work on moving up to position coach, coordinator and head coach."

Reaction Score
I’ll never understand why people can’t just appreciate that TJ won 3 games in a row with a team that was crashing and burning when he took over. We beat 3 real High major schools, not FCS, and our offense was looking great when he was finished.

We win 3 games per year these days. He won 3 games in a row and transformed the offense in only two months. This team hasn’t performed that well three games in a row since. On top of that, he was personable, disciplined and unique with the short sleeves in 20 degree weather. Of course people like him. Could he run a program? No idea. However, I am certain he would have been much better than Diaco.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I think a lot of us forget to remember that TJ had Casey under center and he was tearing it up. Diaco never had the opportunity to use him. I'm not saying Diaco would have been successful with Casey because I think he still would have screwed it all up. However, I think a lot of TJ's success was due to Casey playing very well.

I have nothing against TJ and am very happy to see him succeeded. Just don't think it is fair to think he'd be the turn around coach this team needed. Then again, he couldn't have been any worse then Diaco.....:confused:

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think a lot of us forget to remember that TJ had Casey under center and he was tearing it up. Diaco never had the opportunity to use him. I'm not saying Diaco would have been successful with Casey because I think he still would have screwed it all up. However, I think a lot of TJ's success was due to Casey playing very well.

I have nothing against TJ and am very happy to see him succeeded. Just don't think it is fair to think he'd be the turn around coach this team needed. Then again, he couldn't have been any worse then Diaco.....:confused:

I can't remember: was Casey starting QB #1 or #1A? ;)

Diaco was already well into the process of screwing it up. And if the folks who thought TJ had done a good job are overselling it, then what are the folks who believe that Casey could single-handedly have made us a winning team with not much else around him?

There's no doubt in my mind that TJ would have been much better than Diaco. No doubt at all. Does that mean that he was the answer to our football woes? Maybe not, but we'll never know...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Put me on team TJ.

Everything I know from every successful organization points to TJ being a very good choice as an HC.

He had a vision knew how to evaluate talent and how to shock the existing system.
Hear hear, me too. Mike Cavanaugh and TJ came to UConn the same year and instantly bonded. That tells me they had the same values and outlook on coaching. In fact, I believe they made cross sport appearances at each other's practices. My sense is that the two are cut from the same cloth. Just on the basis of what Cav has done with UConn hockey alone (currently following the HCRE1.0 path) you gotta think that TJ would have been a head and shoulders better pick than Disco.

We had a saying about certain people in a certain very large engineering organization while back. "A lot of hair gel and fast walking." Same as the saying several decades ago: "All hat and no cattle." That was Disco in a nutshell and the very opposite of who TJ was.

Last edited:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I can't remember: was Casey starting QB #1 or #1A? ;)

Diaco was already well into the process of screwing it up. And if the folks who thought TJ had done a good job are overselling it, then what are the folks who believe that Casey could single-handedly have made us a winning team with not much else around him?

There's no doubt in my mind that TJ would have been much better than Diaco. No doubt at all. Does that mean that he was the answer to our football woes? Maybe not, but we'll never know...
Ha! Yeah Diaco had Casey for one game, maybe two? I forget which game he got his final concussion in.

Regardless, you're correct that I am assuming Casey would have been the missing link we have been searching forever for. However, in the few games he played, he showed more ability than any other QB we had at that time. I know his competition wasn't the best of the AAC at the end of that season, however they were still AAC teams. Nothing makes me think he couldn't have continued growing and improving as a player against similar AAC competition.

In the end, it's all a big what if game that we'll know the answer to. Here's to hoping one of the many QBs we have now will turn into the QB we've been looking for.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Ha! Yeah Diaco had Casey for one game, maybe two? I forget which game he got his final concussion in.

Regardless, you're correct that I am assuming Casey would have been the missing link we have been searching forever for. However, in the few games he played, he showed more ability than any other QB we had at that time. I know his competition wasn't the best of the AAC at the end of that season, however they were still AAC teams. Nothing makes me think he couldn't have continued growing and improving as a player against similar AAC competition.

In the end, it's all a big what if game that we'll know the answer to. Here's to hoping one of the many QBs we have now will turn into the QB we've been looking for.

I definitely think Casey had a bunch of potential. But I just wanted it on the record that Diaco wasn't even sure he should start. In fact, if my memory serves me correctly, Casey was the "1A" starter.

Kudos to Weist for at least recognizing who the starter should have been on that team. And he did beat our rival Rutgers, who went on to play a bowl game that year also. It was a nice job by him no matter which way you slice it...

Reaction Score
I was at the Temple game in freezing cold Phila when TJ and Casey Cochran brought us a victory after trailing 21-0 at the half. It was incredibly cold—and yes, TJ was in shirtsleeves.

Later, after he’d been let go by Diaco, my wife and I met him while having dinner in Boston’s North End. Two things stood out from our conversation.

TJ said PP’s mid-year decision to start true freshman Tim Boyle was the wrong thing to do —both for Tim and the team—but he felt compelled by the intense media buildup to let it happen.

Another interesting point he made was that after having coached at 7 other universities in his career, the school President he was most impressed with was Susan Herbst.
I wish him well in Baltimore.

C

Chief00

If Diaco had Tom Brady at QB, he would have still screwed up the offense.

Reaction Score
I always thought USF should of given him a serious consideration for head coach, but then again hot shot Charlie Strong stepped in. Look he was a great offensive coordinator for sure, and has really been a coaching journeyman I wish him the best. Would love to see him as a head coach one day wherever that may be.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom