Time to have a discussion | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Time to have a discussion

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I don't see a college player at this moment at forward or post that can challenge for a spot on the NT - too many really good young pros have left college in the last ten years. Fowles is probably gone after this year, and maybe Charles, but Stewart and Wilson are young and Griner probably has another 4 year cycle. Then you have the O sisters Collier, Turner, and a bunch of others.

The college players they have chosen over the years are the ones that you know are going to be on the team for years Moore, Griner (didn't chose to join I believe), and Stewart - Sue and DT were actually chosen as just graduated and not while in school, Can't remember when Catchings and Parker were first selected.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was in Tenerife for the 2018 WC. Loyd eventually settled down and played pretty well, especially defensively. Clarendon and Plum looked terrified.
Sue and Dee didn't do too well the first time they got the keys to the car - Bronze in the 2006 WC. Putting on that USA jersey is special, but a lot of responsibility. Maya and Breanna shot really poorly the first time they were on the team.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sue and Dee didn't do too well the first time they got the keys to the car - Bronze in the 2006 WC. Putting on that USA jersey is special, but a lot of responsibility. Maya and Breanna shot really poorly the first time they were on the team.
Sue and Dee played pretty well in 06 but the team sure didn't.

I remember being in Istanbul and Stewie did not fare well in the garbage time she got. Maya didn't shoot that poorly in 2010; she just took some ill-advised shots and her teammates had to rein her in a bit.

It's hard. That's why USA BB keeps players like Sue and Dee who've been there and done that.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I suppose my real question is:
Are we seeing a new era of transcendent woman's talent:

Is it possible that Catlin and Paige are so unusually gifted and have such finely honed skills
That speaking of established WNBA stars like Chelsea Gray, Skylar, A'ja, Arike, even Sabrina is silly.

I don't know the answer...and we don't have quite enough information...more to come.

I remember Dee doing some of the things that our present 2 do (regularly)...Can she do it as well at her current age? Sue was always more conventional...just phenomenally steady, great competitor, the definition of clutch...But again...except for the experience angle, the kids may have more overall skills.

I propose this as a theory...unproven...Surely, in a year or so, we'll know much more...
But we may be witnessing the dawn of a quantum leap in woman's skillset
and its a pleasure to watch it unfold,

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I suppose my real question is:
Are we seeing a new era of transcendent woman's talent:

Is it possible that Catlin and Paige are so unusually gifted and have such finely honed skills
That speaking of established WNBA stars like Chelsea Gray, Skylar, A'ja, Arike, even Sabrina is silly.

I don't know the answer...and we don't have quite enough information...more to come.

I remember Dee doing some of the things that our present 2 do (regularly)...Can she do it as well at her current age? Sue was always more conventional...just phenomenally steady, great competitor, the definition of clutch...But again...except for the experience angle, the kids may have more overall skills.

I propose this as a theory...unproven...Surely, in a year or so, we'll know much more...
But we may be witnessing the dawn of a quantum leap in woman's skillset
and its a pleasure to watch it unfold,
You could say DT and Sue have dominated almost 20 years of women's basketball, as did Lisa Leslie before them, and as might Breanna in the future. Sabrina if she gets and stays healthy could as well. Paige is certainly phenomenal as a freshman as is Clark, but maybe let them get through college before talking transcendent. WCBB players have had the kinds of years they have had, just not as freshman, so all we can say at the moment is they may have arrived in college more prepared. Kelsey Plum as a senior scored 31.7 points a game with 5.1 rebounds and 4.8 assists 1.9 A/TO shooting .529/.428/.887. Sabrina senior year 17.5 points, 9.1 assists, 8.6 rebounds, 3.1 A/TO. Pretty amazing numbers that match or exceed Paige's and Caitlin's years. Give them time.

(Sabrina's career stats: 18.0 points, 7.7 assists, 7.3 rebounds, 2.7 A/TO, what an amazing 4 years.)

They also both went to teams that desperately needed their skills immediately. DT, Sue, Maya, Breanna all joined pretty deep and good teams as freshmen. I don't think we will see Paige score as much next year when the team becomes deeper.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Paige is the PG of the future. I'm not sure how long that will take. Maybe someone else will take the spot in the interim. Sabrina probably will be in the mix. I love Crystal, but her height is a disadvantage. Caitlyn could be on the team in time too. Don't forget Azzi.

Jewell is improving each year. Especially if she is on the floor with Sue and Stewie, she takes high percentage shots. She also plays defense and rebounds.

There is one player people are overlook often (not at the guard spot). Napheesa Collier is moving into the core off the team. She's one of the elite players in the W and is still young. Part of the youth movement.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Sue and Dee played pretty well in 06 but the team sure didn't.

I remember being in Istanbul and Stewie did not fare well in the garbage time she got. Maya didn't shoot that poorly in 2010; she just took some ill-advised shots and her teammates had to rein her in a bit.

It's hard. That's why USA BB keeps players like Sue and Dee who've been there and done that.
That was Sue's third NT tournament - 2002 WC, 2004 Oly where DT debuted and then 2006 when Dawn and the Lisa and a few other veterans did not participate. It was the 'new blood' team with Parker and Augustus and Beard and Snow as newbies. I think it was probably the youngest least experienced team since they stopped sending college kids. The 2008 team Lisa Leslie came back for a last hurrah and Fowles joined and was the leading scorer.

Neither Sue or DT did much before that 2006 team, they were there to learn. Like Maya and Stewart later.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The U.S.V.I. and Puerto Rico have their own Olympic teams.
But I don't think they have ever qualified for either Oly or WC competitions. She can choose since she is a US citizen.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
On Wednesday, I posed the (somewhat hypothetical) question
"Are we seeing a new era of transcendent woman's talent?"

Well today, Dee answered the question in the affirmative.

She said in an interview that Paige is the best player in Woman's BB.

Reaction Score
It's time for a serious discussion...And you can bet your bottom dollars
Dawn and the committee are having it.
Send your recommendations to the committee forthwith so they can have a serious discussion of this.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On Wednesday, I posed the (somewhat hypothetical) question
"Are we seeing a new era of transcendent woman's talent?"

Well today, Dee answered the question in the affirmative.

She said in an interview that Paige is the best player in Woman's BB.

She said it, and then later she qualified it to WCBB. Still very high praise.

Reaction Score
She was on the USA U19 team with Paige and Caitlin.
I felt like an idiot shortly after I posted that (although I did want to know where she was from) as I suddenly thought about that. DUH!

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, is there any way Karlie and Lou could play for Britain? The EuroLeague lists them as British/American.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom