Time for Nika to shine! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Time for Nika to shine!

Reaction Score
The consensus seems to be that Nika MUST tighten up her game. She will be perceived as a leader as an upperclassman. She must be ready to play 29-33 minutes a night. She must stay on the floor (especially in the first half) by staying out of foul trouble. She’s got 4 fouls to give. She must choose wisely when to risk a foul (choose her battles).

There will be nights when Nika will be whistled for two fouls before the seats are warm. Those nights the reserves must be ready to make a significant contribution minute and production wise.

Her back up should see significant playing time. She’s aggressive but must play under control by realizing she’s more valuable to Geno and the team if she can stay on the floor. The longer Nika is in the game, the better our chances are of winning the game.

Reaction Score
To the contrary, in March Geno often left Nika on the bench at crunch time, or occasionally used an offense-defense platoon. Why? It's a deep mystery, but it may have something to do with her scoring limitations. In the 4th quarter, when teams are evenly matched, and both teams are locked in, we can't afford to play 4 on 5 in the half court offense.

You're not being serious here, I hope. Because I'm waiting for my paycheck as Geno's BY consultant.
******* I was stating the obvious. However, if you can actually get that paycheck--accept it, 52 goes in to 4.5 million how many times? Nice weekly stipend.

Truer words were never spoke, nor writ. This is what Stanford runs, too, a positionless offense. Watching games from the Stewie-Steph years, the speed of the passing game is stunning. We haven't often matched that in the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
Here's a quote from Geno that has been on all of our minds all summer long:
“Nika has to be better offensively — more consistent offensively,” Geno Auriemma said in June. “Just to be more of a threat offensively so that people guard her more and there’s less leaving her to go double someone else.”

Reaction Score
Oldude, no disrespect, just a question or 3.

1. In what respect, and how does Nika "Tighten up her game"? You mentioned fouling, maybe she can but not by any order of magnitude. What else?

2. As a human affected by many ingrained, born in, heredity inflicted traits, I've tried to change SOME without substantial luck. For a moment here and there, that change will come through. In times of stress and pressure, old me pops up without thinking. BB is stress/pressure at times.
As a Human watcher, I believe my characteristics approach impossibility to change, Nika too.

3. Nika, because shooting is hand-eye coordination, and SOME physical characteristics can change, she may improve her shooting. She'll never ever be on the scale of Paige, Caroline, or AZZI.

4. I suggest that those things Geno and us fans like about Nika are those same traits some want her to change. To reduce a trait is near impossible, more success comes in eliminating it and that is rare.

5. Tame her, play her against certain teams, it is easier for Geno to adjust his way of using Nika, I suggest, than to change her. Personality, is built in, you can back ground it for a while--but you always come out when least desirable.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oldude, no disrespect, just a question or 3.

1. In what respect, and how does Nika "Tighten up her game"? You mentioned fouling, maybe she can but not by any order of magnitude. What else?

2. As a human affected by many ingrained, born in, heredity inflicted traits, I've tried to change SOME without substantial luck. For a moment here and there, that change will come through. In times of stress and pressure, old me pops up without thinking. BB is stress/pressure at times.
As a Human watcher, I believe my characteristics approach impossibility to change, Nika too.

3. Nika, because shooting is hand-eye coordination, and SOME physical characteristics can change, she may improve her shooting. She'll never ever be on the scale of Paige, Caroline, or AZZI.

4. I suggest that those things Geno and us fans like about Nika are those same traits some want her to change. To reduce a trait is near impossible, more success comes in eliminating it and that is rare.

5. Tame her, play her against certain teams, it is easier for Geno to adjust his way of using Nika, I suggest, than to change her. Personality, is built in, you can back ground it for a while--but you always come out when least desirable.
I didn’t use the term “tighten up her game.” But I did outline 4 areas of focus for Nika this coming season: take care of the ball, stay out of foul trouble, improve her scoring & stay healthy. Unless you haven’t been watching, Nika was much better as a sophomore than she was as a freshman in all these areas, something that we’ve come to expect of everyone that ever played in Geno’s system.

I absolutely expect Nika to continue to improve in all areas as a junior. That expectation is not wishful thinking or blind hope. It is an absolutely reasonable belief based on my observations of 36 years of successful player development by the greatest coach in WBB.

Reaction Score
Did this come from Geno? Or the writer's opinion?

To me, Azzi Fudd is the most important player.

And imo Lou is very, very high up depending on what she can do. Not that she is 2nd best player. But she might not even play which puts big pressure on the others to being an impact player which would mean at all times UCONN would have at least two fine perimeter scorers (not just shooters).

Reaction Score
I didn’t use the term “tighten up her game.” But I did outline 4 areas of focus for Nika this coming season: take care of the ball, stay out of foul trouble, improve her scoring & stay healthy. Unless you haven’t been watching, Nika was much better as a sophomore than she was as a freshman in all these areas, something that we’ve come to expect of everyone that ever played in Geno’s system.

I absolutely expect Nika to continue to improve in all areas as a junior. That expectation is not wishful thinking or blind hope. It is an absolutely reasonable belief based on my observations of 36 years of successful player development by the greatest coach in WBB.
If I misquoted you, my apology. 2 of your 4, may not entirely be within her control. ball handling and scoring may see MINOR improvements. I'm a fan of NIKA from the start. As a junior, using past history of a few hundred Uconn Huskies as my models, at this point in their careers, Juniors are expected to be teachers, minimal students.
With anyone other than Nika, Id say she is what she is. Nika is a never quit kid. We'll see. In any case I expect to see her with good minutes.

Your term was Focus on, not tighten up. Another poster used tighten up. I shouldn't have used the quotes " " . Ms Novak, my English teacher told me I get in trouble using quotes. in 1898.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom