Tick and mosquito spraying | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tick and mosquito spraying

temery

What?
Reaction Score
This is the second time this summer I've had someone at my door saying they were in the area spraying a neighbor's property and offered to take care of my property at a discount, seeing as though they were already in the neighborhood.

Kudos to whoever hired the smoke show who just left, but I had to laugh when she said, "If your neighbors have their yards sprayed, the ticks and mosquitoes will have nowhere to go but to yards that haven't been treated."

Bottom line: Is there any benefit to this service? I already have a couple dozen turkeys in my hard daily eating ticks, and fish in my pond to eat mosquito larva.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Not to high jack the thread but it wouldn’t be the BY if someone didn’t:

$16.70 for a six pack of Bud Light. Water was way expensive too. So I did the math. Water was more of a ripoff than BudLight.

BudLight cost = $0.17 oz.

Water cost = $0.18 oz.
Fair.

Reaction Score
Wonder what kind of mosquito spray they use in Disney World!? Didn’t see one damn mosquito there.
There was a big story on that recently… but I don’t have a link. Bottom line, they designed it to have no standing water… bubblers and/or flowing water. They consulted with Panama Canal architects.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Cutter - best thing ever for mosquitos and more. And it lasts, I highly recommend it.

This is what I use. It is a broad based product that kills beneficial bugs, but I have little doubt that the smoke show's product is similar. I use it around the edge of the lawn, into the woods, in the shrubs/landscaping, and around and under the deck. Seems to work. The staggering amount of rain in July has the population very high right now.

Keep it away from any birds or pets.

Reaction Score
This is what I use. It is a broad based product that kills beneficial bugs, but I have little doubt that the smoke show's product is similar. I use it around the edge of the lawn, into the woods, in the shrubs/landscaping, and around and under the deck. Seems to work. The staggering amount of rain in July has the population very high right now.

Keep it away from any birds or pets.
I bought this stuff a couple weeks ago but just haven't had time to try it out. It seemed to get good reviews and another reason I got it was because I read that it's fine for dogs once it dries. Is that not the case? We let our dogs roam around the yard (fenced). I suppose I could just spray it in the back wooded area and around the outside of the fence where they can't get to just to be safe.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I bought this stuff a couple weeks ago but just haven't had time to try it out. It seemed to get good reviews and another reason I got it was because I read that it's fine for dogs once it dries. Is that not the case? We let our dogs roam around the yard (fenced). I suppose I could just spray it in the back wooded area and around the outside of the fence where they can't get to just to be safe.

That is indeed what it says. I haven't had any issues. To what extent do the dogs eat the grass though? I have a cat, no dog, but still tend to apply that stuff around the landscaping near the house and the edges of the property rather than the middle of the yard.

Reaction Score
Wondercide - EcoTreat...
Aside from Wondercide purporting it's safe for pets, company marketing suggest it controls "mosquitoes and other flying insects" yet is "Safe for bees and butterflies". Maybe or not, but I'm no entomologist nor chemist. UConn entomology majors? For home veggie gardeners, the following generally positive independent review of Wondercide EcoTreat suggests the bee-safe claims may be a stretch (versus the marketing claims, bottom link).

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ya want bees? plant a bunch of rose-of-sharon. almost maintenance free, spread easily, just remember to cut back hard to get copius flowers next season. and oh, i said spray deet on me (mebbe 10 times a whole year, mebbe), not on the flora.
pretty cool lately to watch the swallers pack up and pass back and forth over a significant stand of those landscape 'evergreen' tree/bushes. skeeter factories. like football players at a smorgasbord. bats doin it at dusk. they gotta eat too.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
It kills bees from what I just read. Yes?

Yes, it is broad spectrum. That's why I am cautious about where I spray it. I avoid flowering plants except roses (no bees, but Japanese Beetles). I largely aim it at the ground, especially dense vegetation in the woods (ticks) and any place water may pool, including hard surfaces, for mosquitos. I plan to apply some today, because the insect situation as bad as I've ever seen.

Reaction Score
Yes, it is broad spectrum. That's why I am cautious about where I spray it. I avoid flowering plants except roses (no bees, but Japanese Beetles). I largely aim it at the ground, especially dense vegetation in the woods (ticks) and any place water may pool, including hard surfaces, for mosquitos. I plan to apply some today, because the insect situation as bad as I've ever seen.
So if I were to spray it on the ground at the base of plants the bees would be ok?

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
So if I were to spray it on the ground at the base of plants the bees would be ok?

I'm no industrial chemist, but that's been my belief. It doesn't get into the root system, it's a pesticide, not a herbicide. You just need to avoid the flowers. If you have bees nesting on the ground it could kill them, but I believe that's just yellow jackets, not honeybees and bumble bees. I'm all for killing yellow jackets, which are wasps anyway.

Reaction Score
I'm no industrial chemist, but that's been my belief. It doesn't get into the root system, it's a pesticide, not a herbicide. You just need to avoid the flowers. If you have bees nesting on the ground it could kill them, but I believe that's just yellow jackets, not honeybees and bumble bees. I'm all for killing yellow jackets, which are wasps anyway.
Good, thanks.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Good, thanks.

I just sprayed. Came across a large section of wildflowers (I threw down seeds a few years ago) with a dozen+ bees. I simply shut the hose down, walked by and started it up again. When I came back the bees didn't seem to notice I had sprayed around those flowers. The new hose on/off switch is vastly improved over the old one on the same Cutter stuff. Very easy to use.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
This is the second time this summer I've had someone at my door saying they were in the area spraying a neighbor's property and offered to take care of my property at a discount, seeing as though they were already in the neighborhood.

Kudos to whoever hired the smoke show who just left, but I had to laugh when she said, "If your neighbors have their yards sprayed, the ticks and mosquitoes will have nowhere to go but to yards that haven't been treated."

Bottom line: Is there any benefit to this service? I already have a couple dozen turkeys in my hard daily eating ticks, and fish in my pond to eat mosquito larva.
In my area we couldn’t spend more than a few hours outdoors without a monthly mosquito service from a Professional pest control service. Ticks are extremely bad to.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom