thread for frivolous realignment schemes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

thread for frivolous realignment schemes

Reaction Score
Thinking major realignment as the Mountain West gets poached by the PAC-12 and Big 12 during their expansion craze:

14 Team League
East:
UCF
USF
Temple
ECU
Navy*
UConn
Villanova*

West:
Cincinnati
Memphis
Houston
SMU
Boise State
BYU
San Diego State

16 Team League
Add UMass, Buffalo, FAU, or Rhode Island to the East
Add Fresno State, New Mexico State, Texas State, or Air Force to the West

Anyone remember when Boise State, BYU, and TCU were going to come over to the AAC? That would have been so sweet...

* Football only

Reaction Score
16 Team Football League [with last Sagarin rating]

North and East:
JMU* (FB only, CAA) [44]
Navy* (FB only, Patriot) [55]
Temple [70]
Cincinnati [128]
ECU [129]
UConn [135]
Delaware* (FB only, CAA) [137]
Villanova* (FB only, Big East) [142]

South and West:
UCF [13]
Memphis [32]
USF [41]
Houston [61]
SMU [86]
Tulane [91]
Tulsa [108]
BYU* (FB Only, WCC) [112]

AAC basketball doesn't change.

Nobody gets kicked out.

AAC Football becomes more regional (better travel and rivalries). 7 games in division, 2 cross division (play each cross division team every 4 years), and 3 out-of conference. 1 conference championship.

For reference, the SEC is 14 teams, two 7 team divisions, and plays 6 games in division, 2 cross division (1 an annual rival, the other rotates), and 4 out-of-conference. 1 conference championship.

Reaction Score
North and East:
JMU* (FB only, CAA)
Navy* (FB only, Patriot)
Temple
Cincinnati
ECU
UConn

Delaware* (FB only, CAA)
Villanova* (FB only, Big East)

Also, for basketball, we include an OOC scheduling agreement to enhance the rivalries in the North and East Football Division. The Full AAC teams play the FB Only teams every year in hoops.

For example, UConn would play Nova, JMU, Navy, and UD every year OOC.

Reaction Score
*Basketball-Driven AAC (with latest RPI ranking)
-Current Teams
#7 Cincinnati
#14 Wichita State
#18 Houston
#48 Temple
#80 UCF
#86 Tulsa
#107 Memphis
#108 SMU
#115 UConn
#172 Tulane
#274 ECU
#276 USF

-Add
#13 Rhode Island (Basketball Only)
#19 Nevada (All Sports)
#23 Gonzaga (Basketball Only)
#42 Saint Mary's (Basketball Only)

-Substitute
#69 BYU for #172 Tulane

-If AAC wants to be the first 18 team league Add
#127 UNLV
#59 Davidson

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no incentive for the AAC to expand in football unless our media partner demands it.
I always loved football onlies and BB onlies
If kept on a limited basis
The Navy add was great and may of saved the league and many thought it would never happen.
The ECU BB add ( all sports) was stupid and unnecessary but it’s a done deal
If your going to add two football onlies
I would take Army who seems to want to get back into the big time and Air Force
Those games as league games enhance the attraction of the league. Unless you can get BYU
Add VCU or Dayton as B.B. onlies .
From a market Prospective the DMV area is an AAC wasteland
Dayton has a Cult following that Cinncy might not be happy about.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely no incentive for the AAC to expand in football unless our media partner demands it.
I always loved football onlies and BB onlies
If kept on a limited basis
The Navy add was great and may of saved the league and many thought it would never happen.
The ECU BB add ( all sports) was stupid and unnecessary but it’s a done deal
If your going to add two football onlies
I would take Army who seems to want to get back into the big time and Air Force
Those games as league games enhance the attraction of the league. Unless you can get BYU
Add VCU or Dayton as B.B. onlies .
From a market Prospective the DMV area is an AAC wasteland
Dayton has a Cult following that Cinncy might not be happy about.

Who would Air Force use at travel partners? Our Texas schools are are southeast Texas and Tulsa isn't really too much closer to Colorado Springs. I think adding Air Force would require bringing in another west coast school....had TCU, Boise State, and BYU not backed out at the beginning I am sure wooing Air Force would have been easier.

Reaction Score

non-media partner driven reasons to expand:
1) add security to the conference.
2) improve regional rivalries, and therefore the long-term conference interest and value.
3) decrease travel costs and wear and tear on the student athletes. reduce the worst travel through a limited cross division schedule, yet keep the opportunity for the best playing the best in a CCG.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
TStpTlX.png

got very bored at work today and rez'ing my own thread

Reaction Score
Or per Rothsteins tweet, If I'm Temple especially or maybe even Navy (with some of the C-USA leftovers) , it's time to get out & lobby for a new East coast FB only conference with say:

Temple, Navy (AAC)
UConn, Army, Liberty, UMass (Indy)
Buffalo (MAC),
Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Old Dominion (C-USA).

With it every man for themselves in terms of hoops, etc.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Or per Rothsteins tweet, If I'm Temple especially or maybe even Navy (with some of the C-USA leftovers) , it's time to get out & lobby for a new East coast FB only conference with say:

Temple, Navy (AAC)
UConn, Army, Liberty, UMass (Indy)
Buffalo (MAC),
Coastal Carolina, Marshall, Old Dominion (C-USA).

With it every man for themselves in terms of hoops, etc.

Thanks but I'll pass on that - we still do better as an independent.

Reaction Score
Thanks but I'll pass on that - we still do better as an independent.
"If I'm Temple especially or maybe even Navy (with some of the C-USA leftovers) , it's time to get out & lobby.."
But I agree the Indy schedule for Uconn is alot more interesting even though half those schools are part of it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If I'm Temple especially or maybe even Navy (with some of the C-USA leftovers) , it's time to get out & lobby
Agreed - Temple has to get out or risk seeing all of their programs shrivel up. Everyone is lobbying all the time - just like how everyone is honing their resume everyday in their work life.

Reaction Score
Blow everything up and start an east coast league comprised of state schools (or state-related in the cases of PSU & Pitt). Wouldn't care if it's divided into divisions or other so long as the most proximate schools definitely play each other every year.

University of Massachusetts Amherst
University of Connecticut
Rutgers University
Penn State University
University of Pittsburgh
University of Maryland
University of Virginia
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
North Carolina State University
Clemson University
University of South Carolina
University of Georgia
Georgia Institute of Technology
Florida State University
University of Florida

Reaction Score
got any out there fantasies or realistic suggestions? just sort of interested in seeing where BYer heads are at in their ideal/slightly ideal/workable conference suggestions, both for us but for the NCAA in general
UConn as the only public.

East:
UConn
BC
Wake
Syracuse
Notre Dame
Miami
Duke
Liberty
Vanderbilt

West:
Northwestern
Tulane
Tulsa
SMU
Rice
Baylor
USC
Stanford

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
I’m not sure how frivolous this is but I wouldn’t mind seeing a situation where Temple goes Indy in football (BE?) and we adopt a strength in numbers tactic of a scheduling and negotiating alliance with them and UMass and pitching the three (or four, with Army if they’d be interested) as a package deal to a conference for a few games with a lot of eyes on for northeastern markets.

Wouldn’t have to be a big conference - MAC or Sun Belt even. I figure they’d play three or four against our alliance per year, again depending on how many members we are. Our annual schedule would look like

2-3 games against alliance members (depending on if Army is included)
4 games against conference partners
1 FCS game
4-5 games open, not all have to be body bag games but a few should for CBS TV purposes

Reaction Score
I’m not sure how frivolous this is but I wouldn’t mind seeing a situation where Temple goes Indy in football (BE?) and we adopt a strength in numbers tactic of a scheduling and negotiating alliance with them and UMass and pitching the three (or four, with Army if they’d be interested) as a package deal to a conference for a few games with a lot of eyes on for northeastern markets.

Wouldn’t have to be a big conference - MAC or Sun Belt even. I figure they’d play three or four against our alliance per year, again depending on how many members we are. Our annual schedule would look like

2-3 games against alliance members (depending on if Army is included)
4 games against conference partners
1 FCS game
4-5 games open, not all have to be body bag games but a few should for CBS TV purposes
Temple is in a pretty tough spot and should consider going the UCONN-Indy route. Problem is the Atlantic 10 already has 14 basketball schools and the Big East isn't an option.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
another one. In this scenario the dreaded mega-league forms with a national footprint becoming, basically, a quasi-pro league, and the rest of the schools scramble to establish durable 14 member regional conferences to protect their markets, form local TV deals/networks, etc. I used football valuation only from 2018 for the numbers below as I think that's the metric driving realignment. I think in this scenario the AACA thing could hold NCAA at gunpoint and demand 4 autobids in a 16 team CFB playoff with each of the "billion dollar five" getting one autobid and then the remaining 7 going at large with a handshake agreement that at least one will come from the "hundred million dollar three".

AsVW5Vd.png

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
Straight forward idea with basketball focus - Big East manages to land Kansas with the provision that it will help arrange a stable football situation for it in order to induce it to join. UConn and Kansas join MAC as football only in exchange for a few MAC-BE games on the schedule

Reaction Score
Straight forward idea with basketball focus - Big East manages to land Kansas with the provision that it will help arrange a stable football situation for it in order to induce it to join. UConn and Kansas join MAC as football only in exchange for a few MAC-BE games on the schedule

Kansas just beat Texas yesterday and they have a terrific coach in Leipold. There is a better chance of Kansas becoming the dominant football team in the B12 than there is of them shipping their basketball team to the Big East.

Urcea

Rent Enjoyer
Reaction Score
more of an observation than a scheme, but the online college realignment simulator yields an interesting map; namely, that the Sun Belt and American apparently have the exact same geographical center. it sort of illustrates just how out of place Temple/Navy are in the new version of the American and how big of a bullet we dodged

nF60dtQ.png

Reaction Score
more of an observation than a scheme, but the online college realignment simulator yields an interesting map; namely, that the Sun Belt and American apparently have the exact same geographical center. it sort of illustrates just how out of place Temple/Navy are in the new version of the American and how big of a bullet we dodged

nF60dtQ.png
What site is this?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom