Thread Display Options | The Boneyard

Thread Display Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Okay - I've played with the thread display options and read the FAQs but still can't figure out how - or if - I can set up my page to display the responses under each thread heading. That way I can just read new responses without having to re-read the whole thread again.

Does anyone know what I mean?:confused:

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
LML--

I asked a similar questiona few days ago, and I think either the mods fixed it or it is there already - but first you have to reply to some threads, possibly just visit them (but I am not sure about this last point), and when you go back to that thread next time, you get put immediately to where you last had been reading. I hope I know what I'm talking about!!! :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
LML--

I asked a similar questiona few days ago, and I think either the mods fixed it or it is there already - but first you have to reply to some threads, possibly just visit them (but I am not sure about this last point), and when you go back to that thread next time, you get put immediately to where you last had been reading. I hope I know what I'm talking about!!! :)
that is correct. but apparently there is no longer the option to have a thread view. all we get is topic view...

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
that is correct. but apparently there is no longer the option to have a thread view. all we get is topic view...
It's in the works but there's a lot to do right now.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
eric, you are always topical.

Ice, I didn't recognize you, poking your head up out of the water like that. I guess it is summertime in the Artic.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Could someone define a thread view vs. a topic view?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Could someone define a thread view vs. a topic view?
Thread view shows like the pic below while topic view only shows the subject line, meaning you need to click on that to read a string of posts. Each has its own pros & cons. I like topic view because very long threads don't hog the board. Those who like thread view find it easier to see who is responding to whom.

forumthread.png

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Thanks. I thought thats what it meant.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Thread view shows like the pic below while topic view only shows the subject line, meaning you need to click on that to read a string of posts. Each has its own pros & cons. I like topic view because very long threads don't hog the board. Those who like thread view find it easier to see who is responding to whom.

ur right about the "who's responding to whom", but also it gives you the opportunity to see exactly who has made new posts in the thread and you can click on a post midway down the thread and ONLY see the replies to that portion, which saves time in huge threads where you don't want to have to read all the other extraneous posts.

i realize it's nit picking. i really do like the new format and have no issue with it even tho i always used thread view in the old site...

Reaction Score
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Glad to read that getting the "old" thread view at a later date is an option.

Reaction Score
Okay - I've played with the thread display options and read the FAQs but still can't figure out how - or if - I can set up my page to display the responses under each thread heading. That way I can just read new responses without having to re-read the whole thread again.

Does anyone know what I mean?:confused:

What I have discovered is after reading a thread, if you use the "back" button, all the "new" messages that you just read in the the thread are not cleared as read and the thread itself does not indicate this either. It still has bold font instead of the fainter font. When you go into it the next time, it will go to the first message that was unread from the last time you read through the thread.

But, if you click on the "bread crumb" trail at the top or bottom (Home > Forums > Off Topic Boards > Suggestions, Comments, Questions, etc. > the all of the "New" posts markers are cleared. Using this method, the next time you come into the thread when there are new messages, you automatically go to the first unread message.

Using the "bread crumb" navigation method, when you go back into the thread and there are no new messages it starts at the first post in that thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom