Thoughts out of left field from a southpaw... | The Boneyard

Thoughts out of left field from a southpaw...

Reaction Score
Connecting dots by a lefty (noting the old adage that only lefthanders are in their right minds):

1. Coaching staff is on record that this will be a winning season, not a rebuild
2. A.D. Dave is clairvoyant about the fluidity of realignment & putting UConn in the best position for the next round
3. Last week got an e-mail that July 16th is UConn Day at Yankee Stadium as the Bombers host the Sweet Carolines
4. Yesterday's bombshell news about USC & UCLA bolting to the BiGger

Could there be a major marketing announcement with UConn, the YES Network, & NESN involved which would attract the prying eyes of a P5 (soon to be P4) conference?
Sorry Conspiracy Kitty if I'm intruding on your domain!

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
As a Red Sox fan, I’m not sure that UConn on NESN is the way to go… John Henry has made NESN almost inaccessible, trying to stream it for $30 a month. That’s too much to pay for baseball games and Charlie Moore marathons. Sorry ya greedy billionaire, I’ll sign back up when you stop running franchise icons out of town! Until then, it’s baseball on the radio for free.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Connecting dots by a lefty (noting the old adage that only lefthanders are in their right minds):

1. Coaching staff is on record that this will be a winning season, not a rebuild
2. A.D. Dave is clairvoyant about the fluidity of realignment & putting UConn in the best position for the next round
3. Last week got an e-mail that July 16th is UConn Day at Yankee Stadium as the Bombers host the Sweet Carolines

Could there be a major marketing announcement with UConn, the YES Network, & NESN involved which would attract the prying eyes of a P5 (soon to be P4) conference?
yes-1.jpg

yes.jpg

those other two i don't know much aboot. i think that they should roll all those thoughts into a thread captioned Endless Speculation. whenever i tune in and see the thread captioned 'realignment,' i always think it's a chiropractor thing. every time.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
For those of us not in the metro area, I really hope they don't sign up with Yes or NESN.

I like cbssn.

I don't have my hopes up for anything, but I do think Benedict is doing what he can to position UConn well. I wish this was happening next year when hopefully Mora would have a successful year in the books.

Reaction Score

I wish. There are better options than us out there unfortunately and with lawyers pretty much any conference is fair game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
SNY is better than YES. I said what I said.

Yes is available nationally on linear cable. NESN is still SportsChannel New England.

Once NESN can afford enough cameras to cover UConn hockey home games on a regular basis, we can talk.

Reaction Score
How Rutgers made it into the B1G still fries my rear end. How we got outmaneuvered time and time again in CR is a lesson in poor leadership. Dave has no plan beyond closing his eyes and hoping something lands in his lap. Sorry to be so cynical.

Reaction Score
How Rutgers made it into the B1G still fries my rear end. How we got outmaneuvered time and time again in CR is a lesson in poor leadership. Dave has no plan beyond closing his eyes and hoping something lands in his lap. Sorry to be so cynical.
We need the Board of Trustees and the governor totally behind UConn winding up in the best conference possible ASAP. They give the orders, Benedict will follow them. It is too soon for a new UConn president to take charge on this issue.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
NESN has the large issue of coverage in Fairfield County, locally.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yes is available nationally on linear cable. NESN is still SportsChannel New England.

Once NESN can afford enough cameras to cover UConn hockey home games on a regular basis, we can talk.

Not really. I mean at a certain extent if you are willing to pay for premium access, maybe?? But it certainly isn't a part of basic cable or even first tier of premium access outside of northeast or mid-atlantic.

Reaction Score
You lost me at this season will be a winning record. 4 wins would be a minor miracle.

As for realignment I think UCONNs best bet is waiting for ACC to be pillaged (although as Fishy has said, it a high cost for those schools to leave right now and through 2027).

As for AD Dave he has been on the record many times saying UCONN joined the Big East for the long haul. He wouldn’t be lying would he?

Reaction Score

I thought that the local school provides the coverage from inside the building. NESN pulls up the production truck and plugs into the building.

Reaction Score

Perhaps a small point, but I believe that the staff said that they would try to win immediately rather than giving PT preference to less experienced players with perhaps higher long term potential like Disco did. I do not think the staff is on record saying that this season would have a winning record. My impression is that they have been silent on that question, as well they should. Lets manage expectations a bit.

Reaction Score
…As for AD Dave he has been on the record many times saying UCONN joined the Big East for the long haul. He wouldn’t be lying would he?
Unspoken was “if the current landscape remains unchanged.” The landscape has changed.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Conspiracy Kitty says:
Not at all. I like the way you think Coach!

Reaction Score
UConn fans must be honest with themselves when considering and examining Conference Realignment. Be comfortable with who you are. Don’t try to be something you’re not. Take emotion out of the equation.

1. UConn is not getting an invite to the B1G. We do not bring ADDED monitory value to the conference. This has nothing to do with how much begging our AD or President does.

2. UConn just needs to continue building the football program. At some point in the the future we will join the leftovers from the ACC and be in a decent football conference with very good basketball.

3. In the near future the P2 is going to totally breakaway from the rest and do their own thing in Football and Basketball. Once that happens everything will settle down and we won’t need to worry about CR anymore. We will be able to just enjoy watching UConn athletics.

Reaction Score
UConn fans must be honest with themselves when considering and examining Conference Realignment. Be comfortable with who you are. Don’t try to be something you’re not. Take emotion out of the equation.

1. UConn is not getting an invite to the B1G. We do not bring ADDED monitory value to the conference. This has nothing to do with how much begging our AD or President does.

2. UConn just needs to continue building the football program. At some point in the the future we will join the leftovers from the ACC and be in a decent football conference with very good basketball.

3. In the near future the P2 is going to totally breakaway from the rest and do their own thing in Football and Basketball. Once that happens everything will settle down and we won’t need to worry about CR anymore. We will be able to just enjoy watching UConn athletics.
It is possible UConn will make the AAU if the right president gets hired at UConn. It is also possible that UConn FB could be in top 40 and UConn men's BB could be in top 20. That would put UConn competitive for B10 at some future date.

Reaction Score

They have also done a similar game @ CitiField w/ the Mets over the years.

Reaction Score
It is possible UConn will make the AAU if the right president gets hired at UConn. It is also possible that UConn FB could be in top 40 and UConn men's BB could be in top 20. That would put UConn competitive for B10 at some future date.
If the B1G sets it’s sights on Uconn, not being an AAU member would not be an issue, at least not right away. Just applying for membership might be enough. Only reasons I can see the B1G looking at Uconn would be to expand it’s footprint in the northeast, specifically the Boston market, NYC metropolitan area and Fairfield County, and maybe to prop up Rutgers by renewing an old rivalry, and the quality of all of it’s other athletic programs besides football. It would also torpedo the ACC if they grab Uconn first. It’s a stretch but it is conceivable. If UConn football is indeed the surprise of the upcoming season that only will help things along.

Last edited:

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If the B1G sets it’s sights on Uconn, not being an AAU member would not be an issue, at least not right away. Just applying for membership might be enough. Only reasons I can see the B1G looking at Uconn would be to expand it’s footprint in the northeast, specifically the Boston market, NYC metropolitan area and Fairfield County, and maybe to prop up Rutgers by renewing an old rivalry, and the quality of all of it’s other athletic programs besides football. It would also torpedo the ACC if they grab Uconn first. It’s a stretch but it is conceivable. If UConn football is indeed the surprise of the upcoming season that only will help things along.
How do you know not being an AAU member would not be an issue and just applying for membership would be enough?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
UConn offers nothing to the B1G. I also think B1G & SEC expansion will all but kill opportunities to play opponents from those two conferences in the future.

But I think it's inevitable that UConn gets into the ACC or whatever iteration of the ACC remains after all this shakes out.

What I don't understand is scheduling in a 16-20 team superconference. I don't know how fans can be expected to care about conference opponents they may only see at home every 4-6 years. Especially if that also entails fewer games against traditional rivals in order to make room for the new members.

Reaction Score
In the near future the P2 is going to totally breakaway from the rest and do their own thing in Football and Basketball. Once that happens everything will settle down and we won’t need to worry about CR anymore. We will be able to just enjoy watching UConn athletics.

In a nutshell I think this is where we are. I just don't see us in the P2 and, frankly, as a fan, I'm fine with that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom