Thoughts on Starlink internet | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on Starlink internet

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
I was thinking of going with Starlink for our household internet, my questions would be if anyone has tried or uses it & what are your thoughts on it? is it worth the near $700 price tag for the purchase of the equipment? this is the biggest point of hesitation for me because you purchase the equipment which can be returned within 30 days but am unsure of return shipping fees. service is currently $110 month with no limits but they reserve the right to set limits in the future.

Reaction Score
I wasn't expecting this to be a thread about Hawinton. Definitely the first time I've heard people call Harwinton awesome and a vacation spot.

Reaction Score
Harwinton
8eecf446485805aeae837e86733c694al-m1321582443od-w480_h360_x2.jpg

not Harwinton
7V7CZUASJVGPDPDK2GPOF2DBYA.jpg
How big is the biggest bass in there?

Reaction Score
I wasn't expecting this to be a thread about Hawinton. Definitely the first time I've heard people call Harwinton awesome and a vacation spot.
This thread continues to hammer home the point that there are people who are made to live in places like Harwinton and people who cannot possibly imagine living full-time in a place like Harwinton. And both are totally fine.

Reaction Score
I agree with the money for vacationing in Harwinton but they'll do so for the solitude and natural beauty somewhere with more cache, I wasn't saying it was a vacation destination. lol, but my home is in the woods where there is not a road, power pole or other home in sight.
I understand the beauty and all, but I'd have trouble getting to sleep while listening for twigs snapping and someone using a prybar to open the back door..........

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
Once we have access to it we’ll get starlink - why we don’t i have access i no idea.

We run 5 wifi hotspots here which is 150 gb, but sometimes we blow past that limit and pay more. But we changed plans and are now only paying $300 a month for cell and the hotspots - we used to get cell bills of $1600 which is criminal.

They promised to run the cable four years ago as part of build out NY, but that was another false promise from spectrum.
I believe Starlink is available for the entirety of rural NY. Double check with them. Their map says it covers basically the entire state of NY. Starlink

Reaction Score
I believe Starlink is available for the entirety of rural NY. Double check with them. Their map says it covers basically the entire state of NY. Starlink
Thanks my man, will give them a holler. as I type this I've used 15GB in the last 4 hours, so worth it for me for sure. We upload a ton of video to test our platform and that chews the data.

Reaction Score
I am going over to Ft Myers, Florida tomorrow to install a couple of Starlink units. I've never had an opportunity to work with one, so maybe I can come back with some good information. These are for commercial use to get a couple of CVS drugstores back in operation, so I don't know how that compares to personal use.

Reaction Score
I am going over to Ft Myers, Florida tomorrow to install a couple of Starlink units. I've never had an opportunity to work with one, so maybe I can come back with some good information. These are for commercial use to get a couple of CVS drugstores back in operation, so I don't know how that compares to personal use.
Commercial works really well, where I live pretty much every business within 10-15 miles has Starlink and is able to power operations and consumer wifi. Just need a good north view when you’re down in Florida, make sure it’s very unobstructed or put very high up

Reaction Score
Commercial works really well, where I live pretty much every business within 10-15 miles has Starlink and is able to power operations and consumer wifi. Just need a good north view when you’re down in Florida, make sure it’s very unobstructed or put very high up
We got all the way over there only for the project to be put on hold by someone in CVS corporate. Seems the buildings had not yet been inspected to make sure it was safe to get up on the roof. I was hoping to get my hands into it, but better safe than sorry.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
the view off my front porch tonight. This is where the sun sets when it's clear, obviously.
I wouldn't have attempted loading pics like this which took only a few seconds to load. All the surroundings is wild life preserve.
20221013_174237.jpg

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
The backyard, just because it's fast and easy now.
for those afraid of someone coming through the backdoor with a crow bar, well they will be outclassed. Most city people are scared around here any how.

20221013_174000.jpg

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
About Starlink now, first off if comes in 4 pieces consisting of a receiver/dish, a wifi transmitter, a 75 foot connector cable & a 6 foot power cable.
Setting it up is easy enough for a 5 year old to get it up and running in 5 minutes, and 10 minute or so for it to go through it's initial set up. I got it last Friday and have downloaded a ton of movies and music just because I can now. I have tried in a few different locations to see where I get the best performance before permanently mounting it this weekend.
For those looking for an upgrade from slower systems this is ligit.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
About Starlink now, first off if comes in 4 pieces consisting of a receiver/dish, a wifi transmitter, a 75 foot connector cable & a 6 foot power cable.
Setting it up is easy enough for a 5 year old to get it up and running in 5 minutes, and 10 minute or so for it to go through it's initial set up. I got it last Friday and have downloaded a ton of movies and music just because I can now. I have tried in a few different locations to see where I get the best performance before permanently mounting it this weekend.
For those looking for an upgrade from slower systems this is ligit.
ok, this is awesome.
op asks for thoughts on starlink, people weigh in.
op pulls the trigger, buys it, and finds out that this move is the right one.
'performs as advertised!'
sweet. a question, answered in 2 pages of discussion- results!
now, that's a thread with a purpose!

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
ok, this is awesome.
op asks for thoughts on starlink, people weigh in.
op pulls the trigger, buys it, and finds out that this move is the right one.
'performs as advertised!'
sweet. a question, answered in 2 pages of discussion- results!
now, that's a thread with a purpose!
How unboneyardesque.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Harwinton is awesome. My best friend lives right near the border in Burlington. I'm still waiting to pull the trigger on a house because I'm not quite sure where my career is going to put me in the state... but Harwinton is definitely on the list of places my wife and I have considered places to settle down.

But I don't think anyone is really paying good money to vacation in Harwinton.
Especially since the Landing Zone closed.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
hey elon, what are you up to this week?
ed4b3550-5679-11ed-b235-b6eacaa4f01d_1666932028792.jpg

iffn u read many tech sites, it's quite funny to see a regular pattern on most - they ferment, teem, seeth, and convulse with anger for him. some contend that he's not all that smart, as he runs rings around the planet.
it's really just jealousy, a useless affectation. as best as they can find out, he's also got at least nine kids floating around, mebbe more. some famous wall street guy is writing a biography of him, but he can't finish it as elon keeps on doing more and more stuff.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
hey elon, what are you up to this week?
ed4b3550-5679-11ed-b235-b6eacaa4f01d_1666932028792.jpg

iffn u read many tech sites, it's quite funny to see a regular pattern on most - they ferment, teem, seeth, and convulse with anger for him. some contend that he's not all that smart, as he runs rings around the planet.
it's really just jealousy, a useless affectation. as best as they can find out, he's also got at least nine kids floating around, mebbe more. some famous wall street guy is writing a biography of him, but he can't finish it as elon keeps on doing more and more stuff.
Let that sink in,

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom