Thoughts on outdoor pizza ovens | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Thoughts on outdoor pizza ovens

Reaction Score
I've been eyeing down an outdoor pizza oven for a while now and fortunately won an instagram giveaway for a $500 Ooni gift card and a bunch of pizza ingredients. I ended up getting the Ooni Karu but was wondering if anyone here has an Ooni or any other pizza oven and what your thoughts are on it. Anyone have any good dough recipes and tips that they wanna share?

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Can someone explain what cold fermentation is? I've heard the New Haven restaurants do it, but is it just making the dough and putting it in the fridge to rise vs. leaving it on the counter?
Essentially yes

Reaction Score
Is Ooni the only game in town when it comes to easy in-home/backyard ovens, or are there other, maybe better options?

Reaction Score
Let's refire this thread. I have the itch to buy an Ooni and the Fyra looks like the one for us. Since I am hoping to buy a Recteq smoker later in the summer/fall that requires wood pellets, the Fyra seems logical.

Cold-fermented dough is something I want to make, too. Sounds pretty easy.

Are Oonis sold in local stores?

I have the Karu 12 which is both Wood and Propane. You can use pellets in there too if youre even curious about getting one with the ability to use propane.

Cold fermented dough isn't too hard to make and once you make it once or twice you'll know how to tweak it to make it what you want.

Oonis are sold in a lot of stores such as: William and Sonoma, Bloomingdales, Crate and Barrel, Lowes, Ace Hardware, and some others but you can also buy directly from their website. You just missed the MDW sale where everything was 20% off but if you buy one then around Black Friday they have good sales on other items you might need such as peels or additional Ooni products.

Whether you get Ooni or Roccbox or any other just make sure it fits what you're looking for. During Covid i got heavy into making pizza and for me the Ooni works great.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain what cold fermentation is? I've heard the New Haven restaurants do it, but is it just making the dough and putting it in the fridge to rise vs. leaving it on the counter?
A lot of restaurants do a cold ferment but you have to adjust your yeast and hydration for cold ferment. In essence what you said is the difference between the two but cold ferment yields better flavor and structure cause you're giving the yeast a longer time to break down the sugar.

Reaction Score
I'm starting to sour on my Ooni Fyre, fueled only by pellets. Seems like every 3rd or 4th time I fire it up, it's super finicky with the air flow and takes 30-40 minutes to get up past 600 degrees with a lot of babying and coddling. I thought that it was just a learning curve and it would get more consistent and now I'm pretty convinced it's just not that easy and there are times where it sputters to get to where I need it to be.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I'm starting to sour on my Ooni Fyre, fueled only by pellets. Seems like every 3rd or 4th time I fire it up, it's super finicky with the air flow and takes 30-40 minutes to get up past 600 degrees with a lot of babying and coddling. I thought that it was just a learning curve and it would get more consistent and now I'm pretty convinced it's just not that easy and there are times where it sputters to get to where I need it to be.
Interesting. So perhaps maybe I shouldn't commit to one fuel source.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
plan b.
get this
pfgrfp11-500x500.JPG

line the hat with foil. huck a large caste iron pan loaded with the goods into it. better than many pizzerias. portable, too!

plan c
pizza+hut+fire+11-30-10+BOONE.JPG

check that, forget plan c. looks like their ovens don't work either.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I used to make my own dough; and then I used to buy it from a decent local pizza place. But I just got tired having to plan enough ahead to let it rise properly, and I got really frustrated spreading it.

It's obviously very rewarding when you nail it, but the stars aligned so infrequently for that that once we discovered these, I was hooked:
These are fast, easy, and consistent. Not quite as good as your own dough, but still good, every time.

Reaction Score
Ooni now sells pre-made frozen dough balls for people who don't want to make their own.

They are 9 oz portions which are perfect for any of their 12" ovens

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom