Thoughts about Ines as back up PG against Princeton | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Thoughts about Ines as back up PG against Princeton

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
If not Ines then who? I think once Ines learns the UConn system that she is perfectly capable.

Ines Bettencourt's FIBA stats:

30 minutes / game
1.9 Three pointers per game
41.9% from three
46.1% field goals
72% free throws
14.4 points / game
3.7 rebounds / game
3.6 assists / game
3.4 turn-overs / game
4.6 steals / game

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If not Ines then who? I think once Ines learns the UConn system that she is perfectly capable.

30 minutes / game
41.9% from three
46.1% field goals
72% free throws
14.4 points / game
3.7 rebounds / game
3.6 assists / game
3.4 turn-overs / game
4.6 steals / game
I agree.
Defense may be her main issue after learning the system. Also meshing with her teammates (chemistry )

Reaction Score
Coach G is smart, we all know that, he is starting to see how he can't keep playing players 38-40 minutes a game. He has to trust the players out there and let them play through their mistakes. In the game against Princeton, I would hope that he lets Ines get 10 or more minutes out there. If she has been showing promise in practice and doing all of the little things that he requires of the players and she has earned those minutes, gotta let them play and trust them out there. Who knows. She could be a secret weapon and we do not know it.

I just look back to Caroline last year. Through her first few games she played very limited minutes. She would get in the game and make a few mistakes and get pulled for the rest of the game. Until the injury bug hit hard and he was forced to play her and she did not disappoint when she got more minutes out there. Ines could be in that same situation. We will see. I hope that she does get minutes but I ain't the coach.

Reaction Score
I think the issue is that we have to use the Princeton game to get ready for the MD game. If we were into the conference schedule already, this wouldn't matter so much. The game tonight has to prepare us for the game on Sunday. Geno likes to say he focuses on only one game at a time. But I suspect he's also peeking ahead to Sunday, too.

Reaction Score
I think the issue is that we have to use the Princeton game to get ready for the MD game. If we were into the conference schedule already, this wouldn't matter so much. The game tonight has to prepare us for the game on Sunday. Geno likes to say he focuses on only one game at a time. But I suspect he's also peeking ahead to Sunday, too.
Oh yeah. Coach G is peeking at that Maryland game with one eye and got the other one on Maryland.

Reaction Score
The kid is a player. She is a bona fide PG with the necessary skills who is just getting her sea legs. As Dickie V always said about an up and coming player's refrain " I need PT coach". I think she will get it tonight.

Reaction Score
Edwards is as close to a POST as Uconn can come. At this point in time, DeBerry (42) isn't a post, nor does she have the physical characteristics needed to battle heavy weights or big posts. Edwards is tough and determined and in 80 percent of games she'll win that position against opponents. I take the ND game as an aberration, I doubt ND could get away with that game again----IF this TEAM is healthy. Lou and Azzi don't need a lot of room to shoot. The Coaching staff, I believe, didn't expect the game ND muscled in. No knock on ND, you play to win, whatever it takes. UConn shall see that again with other teams. Geno will be prepared, if he has the players to field.
But he has what he has. And while deBerry is not a classic Post, she can ( at 6'5" and with long ams) be an effective substitute, even if for just two0three minutes per quarter. Geno recruited her for " something" even if not the post.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The kid is a player. She is a bona fide PG with the necessary skills who is just getting her sea legs. As Dickie V always said about an up and coming player's refrain " I need PT coach". I think she will get it tonight.
If the Huskies have a good lead, yes. Geno will NOT run up the score on Carla’s team

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
If the Huskies have a good lead, yes. Geno will NOT run up the score on Carla’s team
Other than not fast breaking, I’m not sure what he can do. It’s all hands on deck so I would expect everyone to be playing anyway.

Also, with a few notable exceptions, I can’t think of a time when Gino does “run up the score.” Particularly at this level, you can’t tell kids not to score especially to bench kids, who might not otherwise be getting time.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Other than not fast breaking, I’m not sure what he can do. It’s all hands on deck so I would expect everyone to be playing anyway.

Also, with a few notable exceptions, I can’t think of a time when Gino does “run up the score.” Particularly at this level, you can’t tell kids not to score especially to bench kids, who might not otherwise be getting time.
You know what I mean. You’re such a guy :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Coach G more often ends up situational in rotations than strictly following best laid plans. So, depends on how much he wants to win the game, whether the team has the game under control, and the quality & size of players of the other team on the floor. Princeton is a better opportunity to give Ines time with some of the starters than at Notre Dame, obviously but that game got away.

Ines sometimes shows a bit of nerves and takes a fraction of a second more in her decision-making than she will after seeing lots more playing time. But most of the time, she is composed and seems to be catching on to the way UConn wants to play - she did say when she arrived that she likes this style. The other factor that will help her a lot as she is given more floor time is that her teammates have adopted her, so to speak, ready to help.

She could, indeed, see more playing time. But if the game is close, Caroline will help Nika bring the ball up court.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Pretend that I did NOT say this, but: What if Nika gets injured??
Reaction GIF by The Weather Channel

Reaction Score
I was rootin' for Ines to hit those foul shots at the end. She made a bunch of costly turnovers, and looked like a deer in the headlights for a while. Very tough position for her to be in, but the experience will help her in the long run. Talk about baptism by fire!

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Geno recruited Ines for a reason, because she's a PG.
And with Azzi now out as our back up PG, how much PT will Ines get to be prepared to give Nika a rest, or due to injury or fouls?
Princeton should be a good opportunity to see how Ines can perform since they're not a very high scoring team, and their PG Chen doesn't seem to be any more talented or athletic then Ines.
Although Chen is more experienced.
Who else on UConn will be handling back up PG duties besides Ines?
It would seem to make sense for Ines to get better prepared by giving her more PT as the circumstances allow.
Will Geno try to developed Ines into a viable PG in a short amount of time by baptizing her by fire?
How else will she get more real game experience.
What are your thoughts about Ines getting enough PT so that she can get experienced more quickly to help fill UConn's current need?
Do you think that Ines will get as many as 6, 8 or 10 minutes of PT against Princeton?
If all of the UConn players play well it should be like an exhibition game with a lot of opportunity for Ines to develop.
Holy moly, who are you - Kreskin? If you have any prognostications about this week's lotto, I'm all ears, Cassandra!

Reaction Score
The

30 minutes / game
41.9% from three
46.1% field goals
72% free throws
14.4 points / game
3.7 rebounds / game
3.6 assists / game
3.4 turn-overs / game
4.6 steals / game
The way it looked tonite, it's AE we need at PG (only half joking). From what I saw tonite, it's not Ines right now. It was painful at times.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The

The way it looked tonite, it's AE we need at PG (only half joking). From what I saw tonite, it's not Ines right now. It was painful at times.
Geno said she plays dumb sometimes but that right at the end of the game, she went hard to the ball with confidence and aggression the way he told her to. He said he could make her smarter but he can’t make her more aggressive

Remember, she first came to UConn at the beginning of September. She thought she was going somewhere else the week before.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
May not be much of a choice here. With the BE schedule coming up, I’d play her.

Reaction Score
The

Agreed, freshman jitters caused a few problems but she had the composure to make 3 of 4 key free throws at a critical juncture. As I recall, Nika had a few moments as a freshman too, and look at her now. Pretty sure Ines will settle down with more exposure.

Reaction Score

OK I will go into dangerous territory here, and I'm sure I will get plenty of disagreement, but by my definition Geno runs up the score all the time. In my opinion when the game is decided, the players that are out of the normal rotation should be in there, and generally with the reserves in the rotation, not the starters.

We can all disagree over at what margin the game is over, but there are many games where Uconn is ahead by 30-40 points and the third stringers don't come in until there is only a couple of minutes left. Could he have put them in much much sooner without jeopardizing the outcome of the game? Of course but he doesn't. IMO there are quite a few games where the starters could sit the entire 4th quarter.

It certainly appears that Geno would rather leave the starters in till very near the end and win by 40 instead of giving the bench more play much earlier and only win by 35 for example. I consider that to be running up the score.

Having said that, there are a number of reasons why a coach might do that. Some of the statistical rating services probably take the margin of victory into account and winning by 40 instead of 35 helps that rating. Some star players that you recruit may not want to sit much of the 4th quarter of a blowout, I do think Geno wants to develop chemistry between the core rotation, and continuing to play them after the outcome has been decided adds to their experience together, but of course that strategy has the downside of not developing the end of the bench for when they may be needed for a significant role due to injuries.

There are trade offs in many things including how playing time is administered, but if you look at the clock and the score, and the game is clearly over and your stars are still in the game, that is running up the score to me.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom