Thoughts about Ines as back up PG against Princeton | The Boneyard

Thoughts about Ines as back up PG against Princeton

sun

Reaction Score
Geno recruited Ines for a reason, because she's a PG.
And with Azzi now out as our back up PG, how much PT will Ines get to be prepared to give Nika a rest, or due to injury or fouls?
Princeton should be a good opportunity to see how Ines can perform since they're not a very high scoring team, and their PG Chen doesn't seem to be any more talented or athletic then Ines.
Although Chen is more experienced.
Who else on UConn will be handling back up PG duties besides Ines?
It would seem to make sense for Ines to get better prepared by giving her more PT as the circumstances allow.
Will Geno try to developed Ines into a viable PG in a short amount of time by baptizing her by fire?
How else will she get more real game experience.
What are your thoughts about Ines getting enough PT so that she can get experienced more quickly to help fill UConn's current need?
Do you think that Ines will get as many as 6, 8 or 10 minutes of PT against Princeton?
If all of the UConn players play well it should be like an exhibition game with a lot of opportunity for Ines to develop.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
And with Azzi now out as our back up PG, how much PT will Ines get to be prepared to give Nika a rest, or due to injury or fouls?
Princeton should be a good opportunity to see how Ines can perform since they're not a very high scoring team, and their PG Chen doesn't seem to be any more talented then Ines.
It would seem to make sense for Ines to get better prepared by giving her more PT as the circumstances allow.
Will Geno try to developed Ines into a viable PG in a short amount of time by baptizing her by fire?
How else will she get real game experience.
What are your thoughts about Ines getting enough PT so that she can get experienced more quickly to help fill UConn's current need?
Do you think that Ines will get as many as 6, 8 or 10 minutes of PT against Princeton?
I hope so. She is the youngest on the team. She appears to be skilled and a decent shooter. I think its in Uconn's best interest to play her. She played against high level European and older players but it pales in comparison to top 10 competition. She is always fairly calm and confident. All she needs is playing experience.

Reaction Score
I would love to see her get minutes and thrive. She’s intriguing partly because we haven’t see a whole lot of her playing.

Reaction Score
From very limited action, she reminds me of Molly Bent, with better all around skills. I think out of necessity, she’ll see around 5-8 minutes of game action to help alleviate the load on the guards.

Similarly, I see Amari getting 5-8 minutes as well, allowing Aubrey to slot in at the 3 spot, further helping the guard rotation get rest.

I could also see Geno using more timeouts even in non close games to get players additional breathers.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geno himself said the other day that they can't have Nika, Aaliyah, and Lou playing 40 minutes a game. I believe we saw Lou handling the point for a couple of minutes the other day, but I think Inês has to spell Nika at least some. I know it goes against every fiber of Geno's being to play someone out of sheer necessity, but I dunno that he has a choice now.

I hope after a game or two, Geno plays Inês her because she's shown him that she's fully ready. I really think she has it in her.

Reaction Score
I think Amari and Ines will see plenty of time. Otherwise it would be unfair to the other players for Geno to run them into the ground just to make some philosophical point to the end of bench players' practice effort and lack of following directions.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I would love to see Ines get 4 minutes in each half...and if she does decently...the same amount against
the Terps.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
if she plays a lot, it's bcuz geno decided to.
if she plays a little, it's becuz geno decided to.

he's way better at this than me, so ill just hang up and watch to see what he decided. he's the 'Decider-in-Chief!'

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
I think it is a good idea to try Ines at the point to spell Nika. It's true, she was brought here for a reason, and now we can see why Geno plucked her from another school at the eleventh hour. Oh, and by the way, Chen is no slouch. She is a very good basketball player and should not be ignored.

Reaction Score
Princeton should be a good opportunity to see how Ines can perform since they're not a very high scoring team, and their PG Chen doesn't seem to be any more talented or athletic then Ines.
If all of the UConn players play well it should be like an exhibition game with a lot of opportunity for Ines to develop.
I would think it makes all the sense in the world. And, she played well against Providence. As an aside, Geno also recruited Amari DeBerry and Edwards got " killed" playing 40 minutes against the Notre Dame " heavy weights." If Edwards doesn't get some relief, she will get injured as well. But Geno probably will just play six and wait for Dorka.

Reaction Score
As much as I love Nika she shouldn't play all 40 minutes. Well, she could I suppose but even someone with her energy level & fierce competitiveness needs a break every so often.

Does anyone know if Ines is spending more time at PG with the starters during this week's practices? That might give a hint as to Geno's thinking.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
As much as I love Nika she shouldn't play all 40 minutes. Well, she could I suppose but even someone with her energy level & fierce competitiveness needs a break every so often.

Does anyone know if Ines is spending more time at PG with the starters during this week's practices? That might give a hint as to Geno's thinking.
Well, my fly costume is at the cleaners, so I haven't been able to get into Werth.

Reaction Score
I think with game experience, she looks like she can contribute. She doesn’t run weird or anything like that, she moves like a real all around athlete. She just needs to get the nerves out and figure what works for her at this level.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
My guess is that Nika is in Ines' ear pretty much 24/7...coaching her up...and putting positive
spins on this big opportunity Bettencourt has in front of her. And that combo will help Ines
up her game Thursday and down the line.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
People always think because we recruited them and they have shown good individual skills that Geno can just plug them into the rotation. It is NOT easy to run a UCONN offense. I hope she is ready and can contribute in the regular rotation but I'm not going to roast Geno if she isn't ready yet. Fingers crossed she can step up for the team (Along with a couple of the others).

Reaction Score
I say "give her a shot ". If Geno recruited her ,he must have seen something he liked in her, so let's find out. She proved she can shoot with the two 3's she had in the last game she played. Ines might be a "diamond in the rough". I believe she will surprise a lot of Posters. GO INES! GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
From very limited action, she reminds me of Molly Bent, with better all around skills. I think out of necessity, she’ll see around 5-8 minutes of game action to help alleviate the load on the guards.

Similarly, I see Amari getting 5-8 minutes as well, allowing Aubrey to slot in at the 3 spot, further helping the guard rotation get rest.

I could also see Geno using more timeouts even in non close games to get players additional breathers.
Agree with all your points here, but unlike in Sun's original post I don't consider this like an exhibition game that is good for player development. If Dorka is still out in addition to Azzi this game is not a lock. We could lose it because we did use Ines and Amari, and we could lose it because we didn't.

Use inexperienced unproven substitutes or have some very tired regulars out there. It's a lesser of bad choices scenario, no way around that. If it was me, I would make a decision to play Ines and Amari limited minutes in each half, regardless of how they do. What I hope doesn't happen is Geno puts them in, and if they screw up once in the first minute yank them out and keep them on the bench the rest of the game. Give them a little more rope to settle down and then after the game reappraise the situation.

Reaction Score
I'd like to see her gain USA/Div 1 experience at PG. She has PG skills. Didn't look lost against ND. She nailed at least one 3. None of that makes her a top Div 1 guard. Nor does it make her unqualified.
I think she has an opportunity, that rarely comes along for newbees. If she get the shot at PG, I hope she makes the most of it and excels.

Reaction Score
People always think because we recruited them and they have shown good individual skills that Geno can just plug them into the rotation. It is NOT easy to run a UCONN offense. I hope she is ready and can contribute in the regular rotation but I'm not going to roast Geno if she isn't ready yet. Fingers crossed she can step up for the team (Along with a couple of the others).
I don't know diddly about Ines. But the limited time in the ND game showed a kid with a good brain, steady eddie not nervous or didn't look frightened, In fact she looked comfortable leading the team. The one 3 she threw up was smooth and with great form.
Geno, or the coach staff has made serious mistakes along the way. I don't think Ines is a mistake.

Reaction Score
I would think it makes all the sense in the world. And, she played well against Providence. As an aside, Geno also recruited Amari DeBerry and Edwards got " killed" playing 40 minutes against the Notre Dame " heavy weights." If Edwards doesn't get some relief, she will get injured as well. But Geno probably will just play six and wait for Dorka.
Edwards is as close to a POST as Uconn can come. At this point in time, DeBerry (42) isn't a post, nor does she have the physical characteristics needed to battle heavy weights or big posts. Edwards is tough and determined and in 80 percent of games she'll win that position against opponents. I take the ND game as an aberration, I doubt ND could get away with that game again----IF this TEAM is healthy. Lou and Azzi don't need a lot of room to shoot. The Coaching staff, I believe, didn't expect the game ND muscled in. No knock on ND, you play to win, whatever it takes. UConn shall see that again with other teams. Geno will be prepared, if he has the players to field.

Reaction Score
Pretend that I did NOT say this, but: What if Nika gets injured??
So, we need Ines to get some game experience! As noted above she
did hit those two "threes" in the game against Providence. She is
athletic and fast and is 5'9". Lou Lopez will be the alternate
point guard to Nika. But they both need down time. Ditto
for Aaliyah ( if Dorka does not play). GO AMARI, GO YANNA. GO UCONN!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Spot on analysis.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom