Thought on the game | The Boneyard

Thought on the game

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
If it wasn't for the colossal number of blocked shots we lose that game by double digits. That is not something you can hang your team's success on.

Reaction Score
We were winning from 6 minutes left in the first half until 4 seconds left in the second. Usually hovering around double digits. But I’m reading on twitter from no escalators that we don’t have a closing problem!

We were fortunate that SJU player hit the ball on that long pass, and that the refs gave UConn a 2 to 1 foul advantage. We were 4 seconds from disaster.

Reaction Score
I have finally resigned myself that we have no backup PG who has the confidence of Hurley or the fans.

This is who we are and hopefully we can overcome this shortcoming with a strong defensive effort and a little luck.

Reaction Score
I have finally resigned myself that we have no backup PG who has the confidence of Hurley or the fans.

This is who we are and hopefully we can overcome this shortcoming with a strong defensive effort and a little luck.
It appears that in crunch time last night, the secondary ball handlers were AJax and Martin.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It appears that in crunch time last night, the secondary ball handlers were AJax and Martin.
And they were fine. Those two certainly weren't the problem in that last 3 minutes. Poor shooting from floor and foul line was the culprit. Champagnie's and Wheeler's threes went in, Cole's didn't.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
My daughter was watching with me and got really into the game. I had it recorded with a 30 minute extension. Our recording ended with Adama at the line at the end of regulation. Ugh.

Somebody let me know when a replay becomes available...

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
FTs and turnovers being the reason we consistently can't close game is a coaching problem. Hurley does a great job getting guys to play hard and tough but he has to figure it out offensively.

Reaction Score
In 2014 our secondary PG was TSam , a freshman, who wasn’t a top 100 recruit.
Who wouldn’t even be a UConn target today. Yet we possibly don’t win a NC without him.
We started to click two years ago when freshman Gaffney was inserted at PG. Both CV and Bouk improved their shooting when that happened. I called him a plain vanilla PG.
The question is why is he less effective at that position as a junior with more skills than as a cautious freshman.?
Your individual goal by your insertion into the lineup is to make the team more effective not to increase your stature as those can be conflicting outcomes.
With Gaffney less is more.

Reaction Score
My daughter was watching with me and got really into the game. I had it recorded with a 30 minute extension. Our recording ended with Adama at the line at the end of regulation. Ugh.

Somebody let me know when a replay becomes available...
I always add 30 minutes, and when the start was delayed, I added another 30. The womens game was done in just over 1.5 hours. Maybe quarters can speed the games.

Reaction Score
Unwatchable,,!!! Nice play call at the end Cole passing the ball off the glass to Sonogo. We should do that more often.
Wonder if that was called by the coaches or Cole improvising.
Nice BE doubleheader tonight.

Reaction Score
In 2014 our secondary PG was TSam , a freshman, who wasn’t a top 100 recruit.
Who wouldn’t even be a UConn target today. Yet we possibly don’t win a NC without him.
We started to click two years ago when freshman Gaffney was inserted at PG. Both CV and Bouk improved their shooting when that happened. I called him a plain vanilla PG.
The question is why is he less effective at that position as a junior with more skills than as a cautious freshman.?
Your individual goal by your insertion into the lineup is to make the team more effective not to increase your stature as those can be conflicting outcomes.
With Gaffney less is more.
Ryan Boatright says hello

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If it wasn't for the colossal number of blocked shots we lose that game by double digits. That is not something you can hang your team's success on.
If it wasn’t for the mediocre performance from the free throw line we win that game by double digits. Life’s funny like that huh?

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
7 of our blocks have an asterisk next to them in my notes. Opponent got control of the blocked shot and scored. In at least two cases, they scored a three off a block in the paint.

The frequency of blocks certainly has some mental/confidence effect for both teams. But it's not like every block diminished their score by a deuce.

Reaction Score
We're one of the best shot blocking teams in the nation. It's what we do. Now if it wasn't that we scored more points than them we lose I'd accept that

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We're one of the best shot blocking teams in the nation. It's what we do. Now if it wasn't that we scored more points than them we lose I'd accept that
I’ve checked the math on this claim, and it is 100% accurate.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Unwatchable,,!!! Nice play call at the end Cole passing the ball off the glass to Sonogo. We should do that more often.
Wonder if that was called by the coaches or Cole improvising.
Try again, coach. You do know sarcasm loses some bite when you can't be bothered to get the facts straight.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom