THIS version of Nika and Lou | The Boneyard

THIS version of Nika and Lou

Reaction Score
I know we are all devastated with Paige's injury and not seeing her play this year (prayers for her continued recovery for next year) BUT do we get these version of Nika and Lou if Paige is on the floor?
I have seen a lot of people say how good we would be with Paige (and Azzi) out there and obviously it goes without saying I 100% agree, but I can't help but feel like maybe Nika and Lou wouldn't be playing at this level and doing the things they are if that were the case. I can't say as much on Lou as I don't know her well enough before this season but Nika certainly has made a huge, huge jump this season in every aspect of her game and I think she is the type of kid who understands the responsibility is on her shoulders and wholeheartedly takes that on and is living up to everything we need from her. She knows she can't get into foul trouble and have to sit, she knows she has to control the game, she knows the intensity is set by her etc
No disrespect intended to Ines at all, she has done so well when she has played but Nika and Lou are basically our only guards right now (I don't count Aubrey as a guard) - to then have games like they did last night under that pressure is insane.

This is absolutely not a discussion about whether we would be better with Paige as that is just a futile debate, the answer is clearly yes.

I am just wondering whether Lou and Nika would be playing like this if we didn't absolutely need them to in order to win?

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
No doubt, without the injuries we have a different team.

However, I'm enjoying seeing a team working nonstop getting another player into scoring position or taking advantage of being in scoring position themselves. As well as nonstop, team defense.

Reaction Score
I would actually expand this to the whole team. The blessing of having a player like paige is that she can literally create something when the odds are completely stacked against her. How many times has she hit “the shot” or made “the play” when a defense is covering her 2 or 3 or even four on one? Plenty. There’s a feeling when the ball is in her hands that she is inevitable- and it’s incredibly fun to watch.

But the downside that sometimes comes with that is that it can encourage the players around her to rely on that, as well. They know that when they need a big bucket, Paige can go get it, so there were times last year, especially in big games like the EE game vs NC State, or even Paige’s freshman year regular season game vs SC at Gampel where the offense almost stagnates because the sole focus is to get the ball to paige and let her do paige things.

That option is not there this year. And one of the biggest things I saw last night was that, while AE and Lou absolutely led the run in Q3, every UCONN player contributed, consistently. Nika picks Horstens pocket and gets us a run out layup. Aubrey hits a big 3 to maintain momentum. Dorka had a few great seal and score plays in the paint. They shouldered the burden of winning as a TEAM and continued to cut hard, make great passes to find the open man, drive to the basket and score or kick to keep the flow of the offense, etc. TN came out of a timeout with strict instructions to “not give 11 anything” - but they couldn’t accomplish that, a) because Lou is just unflappable, and b) because no one could leave their man open to double or over help in guarding Lou- because she was never left on an island to do it herself. You had to respect every husky in the game as a threat.

It’s an incredible shame that paige and Lou won’t share the court in husky blue and white, but the team bueckers returns to next year have all learned that they don’t have to rely on her to be “the woman” every night. Each and every one of them is a threat that can change the complexion of a game and last night, they all showed up in big moments and did just that.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We don't have Paige or Ice. So I don't worry about "what ifs." Caroline and Azzi are not available right now. None of us know if or when they will return to the court. Play the hand you are dealt.

Also not worried about next year. That will sort itself out.

This team, despite the injuries and rotating availability of players, has been amazing. It's as if nothing phases them.

The team chemistry, the continual movement on offense. The clutch shooting. The tough, stingy defense. All have been a joy to watch. Last night the physical toughness plus the composure of the team is a credit to the players and the staff.

Nika runs the show. Love that girl. Toughness, grit and a really good basketball IQ. Lou is just unbelievable. It's as if she has ice water in her veins.

Enjoy this ride. This team is special.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
1674831233861.png

Wow! Now Nika is hitting Lou? That woman is a menace!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
View attachment 83504

Wow! Now Nika is hitting Lou? That woman is a menace!

No. That was Horsten shouldering Lou in the midsection for an offensive foul. One of the few charge/blocks the refs got right for either team. Nika was just in there trying to make life difficult for Horsten.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No. That was Horsten shouldering Lou in the midsection for an offensive foul. One of the few charge/blocks the refs got right for either team. Nika was just in there trying to make life difficult for Horsten.
Ohhhh. Well thank you for explaining that to me.

Reaction Score
Geno says he knew, the first time he saw Lou in practice (having never seen her at Fairfield), that she would be a starter.

I recall a lot of pre-season debate in the BY about whether Nika would be a starter, which carried right up to the opener. I don't think there was ever any doubt in Geno's mind, Paige or no Paige.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Lou is one and done. Nika, Paige or not, will be Nika.
Next season will be Paige's last year. She will in the WNBA the following year. Paige will be one and done next year

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Thats the way a Defensive Player of the year plays defense. Smother them without using your hands. That steal was sick.

PvP

Reaction Score
Geno says he knew, the first time he saw Lou in practice (having never seen her at Fairfield), that she would be a starter.

I recall a lot of pre-season debate in the BY about whether Nika would be a starter, which carried right up to the opener. I don't think there was ever any doubt in Geno's mind, Paige or no Paige.
No debate, if there were no injuries the starting point guard would have been Paige and the other starters would have been Azzi and Lou in the backcourt with Dorka and Aaliyah up front.
As much as we all love Nika, her only position is PG and Paige is an all time great. No contest. Similarly no one can seriously say that Nika would force Paige to the 2 and sit Azzi. Geno just stated categorically that, after 2 weeks of Summer practice, Lou was starting so that only leaves Nika as a sub.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom