This thread is hilarious | Page 8 | The Boneyard

This thread is hilarious

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
You moved the goal posts.

This is what your said originally.

They're s difference between it being easier and it being possible.
Thanks for chiming in. Feel free to answer the questions as well. Curious to see people’s answers. However, just by saying “there’s a difference between it being easier and it being possible” kind of agrees with my point.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Syracusefan.com...that's still a thing?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The point that those pining for the AAC miss (they know hoop is in infinitely better shape but don't care) is that we are much better positioned to get a spot at the grown-ups table in FB now than if were still stuck in that dungheap.

Reaction Score
Ok, answer these 2 questions. Each question ONLY requires a ONE WORD answer.

1) Is it harder or easier to recruit when you play in the BE vs. the AAC?
a-easier
b-harder

2) Long-term and overall, are the quality of recruits likely to be better or worse when playing in the BE vs. the AAC?
a-better
b-worse
1) I literally answered this question in the first sentence of the post you quoted

2) with this staff, same level, and that level would be driven by how much we win and how many NBA players we produce

Since I answered your question, here’s a question for you. Rank these 10 things based upon your perception of how important they are to your average top 100 recruit, from most important to least.

relationship with the head coach
relationship with the assistant coaches
playing time
belief the program can put you in the first round of the NBA draft
conference in which the school plays
illegal payments
having friends on the team
physical location of the school and how close it is to your home
historical prestige of the program
recent on court success of the program

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
1) I literally answered this question in the first sentence of the post you quoted

2) with this staff, same level, and that level would be driven by how much we win and how many NBA players we produce

Since I answered your question, here’s a question for you. Rank these 10 things based upon your perception of how important they are to your average top 100 recruit, from most important to least.

relationship with the head coach
relationship with the assistant coaches
playing time
belief the program can put you in the first round of the NBA draft
conference in which the school plays
illegal payments
having friends on the team
physical location of the school and how close it is to your home
historical prestige of the program
recent on court success of the program
Add in “opportunity to win a championship.” That’s kind of covered in your last two items, but I think it stands alone.

Reaction Score
Add in “opportunity to win a championship.” That’s kind of covered in your last two items, but I think it stands alone.
Yeah that’s what I was trying to get at with recent on court success of the program, but yours is a better way to phrase it.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
@7774 I like this game. I'll play. Go ahead and trash my rankings, it's fine. I want to see your ranking too though.

IMO, some of these are too related, but I will rank individually anyways. For instance, "relationship with staff" should combine "relationship with head/assistant coaches", and your last two should be intertwined into "overall consensus or view of program as a whole." Your third, fourth, and fifth are also very related (playing time/draft prospects/conference), but I guess they differ enough for their own lines. Also, "recent on court success" is related to the conference - you get in The Dance as a 5th placed BE team, but you miss the NIT as a 5th place AAC team, and you get national TV time in the BE...even if you win in the AAC, no one watches ESPN U.

1 - playing time (kids want to PLAY)
2 - conference in which the school plays (kids want to play BIG TIME ball on national TV and to be ranked)
3 - belief the program can put you in the first round of the NBA draft (unless you're UNREAL, you don't go pro from a mid-major, let alone the basement of the AAC)
4 - relationship with the head coach (kids want to like their coach, but will play for a jerk or a drill sergeant if the above three are fulfilled IMO)
5 - recent on court success of the program (these kids are 17 when they are deciding - schools like Indiana, UCLA, UNLV, Georgetown, and Syracuse are starting to lose their luster)
6 - physical location of the school and how close it is to your home (can sway a kid, but won't be top factor)
7 - relationship with the assistant coaches (head coach matters more - I would have liked to see "relationship with staff" as the line item)
8 - historical prestige of the program (same as 5)
9 - having friends on the team (rare)
10 - illegal payments (more rare)

Reaction Score
@7774 I like this game. I'll play. Go ahead and trash my rankings, it's fine. I want to see your ranking too though.

IMO, some of these are too related, but I will rank individually anyways. For instance, "relationship with staff" should combine "relationship with head/assistant coaches", and your last two should be intertwined into "overall consensus or view of program as a whole." Your third, fourth, and fifth are also very related (playing time/draft prospects/conference), but I guess they differ enough for their own lines. Also, "recent on court success" is related to the conference - you get in The Dance as a 5th placed BE team, but you miss the NIT as a 5th place AAC team, and you get national TV time in the BE...even if you win in the AAC, no one watches ESPN U.

1 - playing time (kids want to PLAY)
2 - conference in which the school plays (kids want to play BIG TIME ball on national TV and to be ranked)
3 - belief the program can put you in the first round of the NBA draft (unless you're UNREAL, you don't go pro from a mid-major, let alone the basement of the AAC)
4 - relationship with the head coach (kids want to like their coach, but will play for a jerk or a drill sergeant if the above three are fulfilled IMO)
5 - recent on court success of the program (these kids are 17 when they are deciding - schools like Indiana, UCLA, UNLV, Georgetown, and Syracuse are starting to lose their luster)
6 - physical location of the school and how close it is to your home (can sway a kid, but won't be top factor)
7 - relationship with the assistant coaches (head coach matters more - I would have liked to see "relationship with staff" as the line item)
8 - historical prestige of the program (same as 5)
9 - having friends on the team (rare)
10 - illegal payments (more rare)
Lol wow.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Starting from ‘79

Cuse - 1 NC, 5 FF, 5 Conference Tournament Titles, 10 Regular Season Titles,

UCONN - 4 NC, 5 FF, 9 Conference Tournament Titles, 10 Regular Season Titles
If you go to the NBA, Cuse has 6 players currently and UCONN has 5. If you look at who is in the league from each school, it’s a no brainer. It’s embarrassing honestly.

Since ‘79, Cuse has ~42 total NBA Players and UCONN has ~33.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
@7774 "lol wow he says" You're a clown with that response and have now lost any and all credibility. I thought I was reading a text from my 12 year old niece. Next time I have any opinion about anything, I'll check with you first to make sure it's correct, since you're the arbiter of opinions and all things debatable. GET SOME FACTS, and come back and see me!

Last edited:

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
The point that those pining for the AAC miss (they know hoop is in infinitely better shape but don't care) is that we are much better positioned to get a spot at the grown-ups table in FB now than if were still stuck in that dungheap.
Aac wasn't bad for our football program. It was bad for our bball program. Going Indy leaves our FB destiny in our own hands but it could end up worse for us then when we were in that conference.

Reaction Score
@7774 "lol wow he says" You're clown with that response and have now lost any and all credibility. I thought I was reading a text from my 12 year old niece. Next time I have any opinion about anything, I'll check with you first to make sure it's correct, since you're the arbiter of opinions and all things debatable. GET SOME FACTS, and come back and see me!
Your list creates a world where Brian Bowen going to Louisville was way more about Louisville being in the ACC than him getting paid $100K to go there. So yeah, “lol wow“ is the only thing that’s appropriate.

And I’m the only one on this topic actually using facts. The facts are the one year Dan Hurley and his staff recruited out of the AAC they got the same level recruits as the 2 years they’ve recruiting in the Big East. And there is no factual reason to think that would change as long as they had success on the court.

Conference 2nd and getting a bag 10th. Bahahahahaha, there’s really nothing else to discuss at this point.

Reaction Score
It was only a matter of time until somehow else showed their face but Pal finally has some company

Reaction Score

No doubt. I have made this argument about going to the Big East since late 2016.

We are now in control of our own destiny instead of a victim of it. That’s the best thing about this. ESPN will be the big loser and Fox the big winner.

PS: No one who argues that the AAC was good for our P5 hopes should be taken seriously. It was fools gold.

PS: the pandemic was a blessing for UCONN athletics. It allows us to emerge from this in a really good position athletically on many fronts.

Reaction Score
Admins, please lock this thread. It’s becoming embarrassing to the boneyard that we have even an 8 page thread discussing the fruit’s 60-something page thread. This is a hoops board and the whole world already knows that we’re trending up and the fruit is resigned to absolute mediocrity at best. Most of their fan base doesn’t even know what’s it’s like to win a chip. It’s like they got laid once in high school, are in their late 40’s and haven’t been laid since. Now they think cell phone is better than the real thing.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The longtime Cuse will always be in denial over how far UConn came to catch up to and eventually pass their basketball program. I was at MSG the second year they hosted the BET. It was UConn-Cuse in the early game and the Huskies had just scored a couple of buckets to knock the lead down to 7 at the 8:00 media time out.
The PA guy comes on and says, "There will be a reception for all UConn fans at the Hotel Penta directly after the game.""The reception for Syracuse fans will be at the Hotel Penta after tomorrow's game" That stuff didn't fly once JC came to town, however that's how these folks will forever think about UConn. I think it's funny.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
Wait, your 12 year old niece sends you nasty texts calling you a clown? That's harsh.
No, she sends me texts that say “lol, wow.” Like 7774.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Pal's in the same place with the guys who whined about the band cancelling for the season. Amazing how being so fantastically wrong shuts you up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom