This team reminds so much of 2009. Some of these players are carbon copies | The Boneyard

This team reminds so much of 2009. Some of these players are carbon copies

Reaction Score
1. Sanogo > Adrien when it comes to low post moves; Adrien a better defender; both good rebounders
2. Hawkins = Dyson. Hawkins is a better outside shooter, but Jerome was no slouch outside himself. Dyson was a much better driver to the hoop, though both are reckless. Dyson a better defender, both turnover prone.
3. Junior Thabeet > better than Clingan. Clingan >>>>>>> Freshman Thabeet.
4. AJ Price > Newton. Price wasn't a great penetrator like Newton, but he could pass well, was in control of the game, consummate UConn PG, and he had one of the best seasons shooting 3s that UConn has ever had. He was a really potent unstoppable offensive force, and I don't think our perimeter guys are at his level yet, even Hawkins. That being said, Newton is a good driver, has a decent outside shot, and may improve a lot in this offense as he becomes more comfortable.
5. AJ Jackson = Stanley Robinson. Not similar players at all, Stanley obviously didn't have AJ's handle or movement. Stanley though could shoot from the outside, and he was a low post force. I compare them for one reason only: both were athletic freaks and the opposition simply has no way to restrain them from what they do best.
6. Kemba > Karaban. OK, this is not a good comparison, admittedly.
7. Calcaterra, Alleyne, Diarra >>>>> Austrie and Beverly

The presence of Clingan gives this team a '09 feel simply because he will become better at being an eraser as the season goes on. Thabeet's development was the biggest factor for us in '09 as he became the national defensive player of the year. This team shoots from the outside as well as Price and Dyson used to, it bullies people underneath the way Thabeet and Adrien used to, and it has an interesting couple of X Factors just like Stanley and Kemba.

Reaction Score
I'd be thrilled with a season like 08/09, 31-5, final four, 15-3 in the big east, tied for second.

That team started 11-0 as well before losing, but this year's team really should beat Butler this year in their 12th game.

Reaction Score
5. AJ Jackson = Stanley Robinson. Not similar players at all
Dave Chapelle GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
"I compare them for one reason only: both were athletic freaks and the opposition simply has no way to restrain them from what they do best. And to keep some symmetry for my post. Because that's very important."
Yeah, but it's more fun to take an excerpt out of context and ridicule it as if it was all you wrote!

Reaction Score
2009 is my favorite non-title UConn team. I’ve been thinking about them a lot during our great start this season.

Their top level players were better, but I think the current team is deeper. 08-09 only played 8 (a really freaking good 8), then 7 when Dyson went down (and cost us a title). Things go right with Samson coming back and we’ll have potentially a 10-man rotation with minimal drop-off.

Reminiscing more about 2009, that domination of UL, at UL, when we’d just become number one in the country that day, WITHOUT US EVEN HITTING A THREE, may be my favorite regular season game ever. The 08-09 season across college ball was also a really fun one in general.

E: UConn vs. Louisville - Men's College Basketball Game Recap - February 2, 2009 | ESPN

Reaction Score
1. Sanogo > Adrien when it comes to low post moves; Adrien a better defender; both good rebounders
2. Hawkins = Dyson. Hawkins is a better outside shooter, but Jerome was no slouch outside himself. Dyson was a much better driver to the hoop, though both are reckless. Dyson a better defender, both turnover prone.
4. AJ Price > Newton. Price wasn't a great penetrator like Newton, but he could pass well, was in control of the game, consummate UConn PG, and he had one of the best seasons shooting 3s that UConn has ever had. He was a really potent unstoppable offensive force, and I don't think our perimeter guys are at his level yet, even Hawkins. That being said, Newton is a good driver, has a decent outside shot, and may improve a lot in this offense as he becomes more comfortable.
5. AJ Jackson = Stanley Robinson. Not similar players at all, Stanley obviously didn't have AJ's handle or movement. Stanley though could shoot from the outside, and he was a low post force. I compare them for one reason only: both were athletic freaks and the opposition simply has no way to restrain them from what they do best.

The presence of Clingan gives this team a '09 feel simply because he will become better at being an eraser as the season goes on. Thabeet's development was the biggest factor for us in '09 as he became the national defensive player of the year. This team shoots from the outside as well as Price and Dyson used to, it bullies people underneath the way Thabeet and Adrien used to, and it has an interesting couple of X Factors just like Stanley and Kemba.
You can’t make for a force like Kemba.

Reaction Score
There are too many unicorns. There is no Andre Jackson comp on the 09 team. Stanley had similar athleticism but other than that their games are quite differnet. No freshman on this team like Kemba. To compare with Hasheem (dominant force) you have to take AS and Big Don compared to Hash/Gavin duo...its just a stretch

2 completely different teams successful for different reasons

Reaction Score
There are too many unicorns. There is no Andre Jackson comp on the 09 team. Stanley had similar athleticism but other than that their games are quite differnet. No freshman on this team like Kemba. To compare with Hasheem (dominant force) you have to take AS and Big Don compared to Hash/Gavin duo...its just a stretch

2 completely different teams successful for different reasons
I did say Andre / Stanley not similar, both superathletic. and yes, Kemba Karaban is not a comparison as I said.

But you left off Adrien who is my Sanogo comparison. I didn't mention Gavin Edwards. It's Thabeet + Adrien compared to Clingan + Sanogo.

As for style of play, outside shooting, low post defense, swatting the ball away and taking away the middle, driving to the basket. I see a similar D mentality, rugged rebounding

Reaction Score
The BE was much better then than it is today. We should win the regular season going away as things stand now

Reaction Score

This team has much more depth .
Thabeet had no backup of note.
When Dyson went Down the backcourt got thin quickly .
Also neither wing had a legitimate backup
This team is more like 99 or 2004

Reaction Score
I'd be thrilled with a season like 08/09, 31-5, final four, 15-3 in the big east, tied for second.

That team started 11-0 as well before losing, but this year's team really should beat Butler this year in their 12th game.
I actually could see us with a better record this year. I don’t see more than 3-4 losses the way we are playing.

Reaction Score
"I compare them for one reason only: both were athletic freaks and the opposition simply has no way to restrain them from what they do best. And to keep some symmetry for my post. Because that's very important."
IF Dre could get to the rim like Stanley it would be insane. And also vault him into a 1st round pick maybe a lottery without a good umpshot (no j)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom