This team isnt very good but | The Boneyard

This team isnt very good but

Reaction Score
The officiating last night is among the worst I've seen in 30 years of watching cbb. Im not blaming the loss on the refs but they were absolutely atrocious! Im guessing and hoping that the power 5 conferences have higher quality officiating. Im hoping this is the case in the Big East because man AAC officiating is brutal.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The officiating last night is among the worst I've seen in 30 years of watching cbb. Im not blaming the loss on the refs but they were absolutely atrocious! Im guessing and hoping that the power 5 conferences have higher quality officiating. Im hoping this is the case in the Big East because man AAC officiating is brutal.

While I agree that it was horrible, does everyone here realize that the AAC shares its referee pool with the SEC? Or at least we did last year.

What concerns me most is the inconsistency from crew to crew. One game everything is a foul, like last night. Of course UConn and Houston are both aggressive half court pressure defensive teams, so it became a foul fest. Another night, the constant push offs we see that never get called are all suddenly being called. And it's an offensive foul brigade, while the defense gets away with everything. It has to be rough on the players and coaches.

Reaction Score
I don’t like to blame refs but last night was nuts. Worst thing I’ve seen especially the Bouknight technical.

Reaction Score
The difference in officiating in the Big East is like night and day. AAC officiating is by far the worst I've seen in the country.

Reaction Score
AAC officiating has been pretty awful in 95% of the games I've seen this year. I've watched probably ~20 games involving AAC teams. Yes, they share a pool with the SEC, but on twitter I've seen plenty of complaints about SEC officiating this year too.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
One difference in the Xavier and Nova losses from the rest? No one talking about refs
Yeah. But refs should remember this is supposed to be entertainment, not a trip to the proctologist. One way or the other, we overcame the refs, but not our own inability to close.

Reaction Score
While I agree that it was horrible, does everyone here realize that the AAC shares its referee pool with the SEC? Or at least we did last year.

What concerns me most is the inconsistency from crew to crew. One game everything is a foul, like last night. Of course UConn and Houston are both aggressive half court pressure defensive teams, so it became a foul fest. Another night, the constant push offs we see that never get called are all suddenly being called. And it's an offensive foul brigade, while the defense gets away with everything. It has to be rough on the players and coaches.

I said the exact thing last night at the 19:14 mark of the first half. 3 whistles blown, I turn to my wife and say, "Oh, its going to be one of THOSE games". I cant stand how one set of officials to the next are not standard in their calls. Team defensive play stays relatively the same from game to game, but the officials call games soft or hard. Having a standard and being held to that standard are two different things. And there's no transparency from the officiating world, so we are just left wondering what is being done behind the scenes when you see a game with 50+ fouls.

Reaction Score
Honestly...I knew it would be THAT type of game the second they called vital for not being set before catching a pass after running the baseline out of bounds on our first (or second?) possession.

Reaction Score
They called it quite tight, but pretty consistent (moving screen on both teams multiple times, etc.).

We didn't adjust. At the end of the game, we didn't try to draw fouls. We tried reverse layups using the basket as a shield instead of intentionally trying to draw the contact and get the fouls.

Houston lived at the foul line at the end because they drove hard 1 on 1 right at their guy. Part of it is that they were bigger. That's not changing. But we need to seek contact out when finishing in the paint.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
They called it quite tight, but pretty consistent (moving screen on both teams multiple times, etc.).

We didn't adjust. At the end of the game, we didn't try to draw fouls. We tried reverse layups using the basket as a shield instead of intentionally trying to draw the contact and get the fouls.

Houston lived at the foul line at the end because they drove hard 1 on 1 right at their guy. Part of it is that they were bigger. That's not changing. But we need to seek contact out when finishing in the paint.

That reverse by Vital killed me. His man was moving. Just go up, draw the contact and shoot. Are they not taught to do that? They lead with the ball, which is why it gets blocked. Shield the ball, take the contact, then shoot.

These guys should be forced to watch highlights of Rob Gray from last year. Little guy who killed us (and everyone else) doing that.

Reaction Score
Refs everywhere seem pretty bad this year, Big East included. But last nights game... wow... about the worst I've seen this year, especially the technicals/non-called Techs.

Reaction Score
We could have won all of the close games we lost. The refs had little to do with it. Missed layups and free throws and poor decision making are the reasons for the record not the refs. We had a chance to win every game despite the refs and we didn't.
"Im not blaming the loss on the refs but they were absolutely atrocious!"

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
As many fouls as there were, I feel like an overwhelming majority of them were non-shooting fouls which was even weirder.

Reaction Score
Huge complaint across college basketball largely because there is no consistency There is a movement to centralize training and assignments through the NCAA but it isn’t going anywhere. In different places they have vastly different interpretations of the rules. And you are aware that refs are independent contractors and the same guys might do multiple leagues. So even if the Big East and the A10 say, don’t technically share refs it is likely that some guys will ref in both leagues.

Worst job I ever saw though had to be in the Big East tournament when the refs ran off the floor in a 2 point game with around 5 seconds remaining and St Johns with the ball and a chance to win or tie. No matter how good a job they did that overshadowed it all.

Reaction Score
Why are all the refs 100 years old? No one under 40 know how to call a game? Would nice to have people who grew up in this era of basketball calling the games

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom