This model is not sustainable | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This model is not sustainable

Reaction Score
They have to take this pro.
It can't remain like this.
You can't have any pretense that these are students anymore. There are no "majors" in anything when a player transfers 3 or 4 times. It's delusional and impossible for any university employee to believe that these are students. By definition, someone who gets paid and has transferred several times is not a student.
Why continue this charade?

Reaction Score
'Not sure what you mean. If the ncaa limits a team to ~65 players, that would be the limit. Are you saying schools would offer aid to players to attend the school just so they wouldn't go elsewhere to play?

Kids want to play. Some would settle to just be a practice player if they really like the school.
I don't think the NCAA has too much say over what the autonomy 5 do when it comes to football. The real fear is that they expand scholarship limits to say 100.

Reaction Score
They have to take this pro.
It can't remain like this.
You can't have any pretense that these are students anymore. There are no "majors" in anything when a player transfers 3 or 4 times. It's delusional and impossible for any university employee to believe that these are students. By definition, someone who gets paid and has transferred several times is not a student.
Why continue this charade?
agree with you.

But they continue the charade because, as always, there's TOO MUCH MONEY to be made by those making the money. Who's that? ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC, Apple, CW, etc. the NCAA, the bowl committees, advertisers, all of the conferences, and ultimately the universities themselves.

taking it pro returns the universities' football teams to what the spirit of college football was about (students playing sports and representing their colleges while also getting a true education as their primary endeavor/pursuit) but those days are long gone.

To turn this pro, you're essentially creating the junior NFL, which then takes the teams away from colleges, takes the best talent outside the college sports sphere, and leaves colleges with a significantly diminished pool of players to pick from. Essentially, all of college football immediately becomes at best low-level FCS talent, but predominantly D2/D3 talent. No one wants to watch a Michigan/Ohio St. game or Notre Dame/USC game with guys who are only good enough to play at CCSU or Wagner.

I don't have a solution, but i also know the "pro" thing won't happen because the powerful colleges love this setup and what it does for their brand and pockets BEYOND the athletic department. Check out Alabama enrollment/endowment trends in the pre-and-post nick saban eras. This is the part i feel like people forget, in the money sense. Conference payouts are not the real money-maker for schools like michigan, whose endowments are in the billions. The exposure and branding provided by elite football is worth more than a comparatively tiny conference payout.

And the players are happy to avoid going to class and major in "interdisciplinary studies" which is essentially High school 2.0, because that was never the point anyway. These administrators and coaches and NCAA governing officials are robbing them of a future, given that the vast majority of them will NEVER smell the grass on sundays. truly tragic.

• where is maurice clarett today?
  • glenn dorsey?
  • the countless P5 offensive linemen who paved the way for future famous QB's and RB's, but couldn't get into the NFL themselves?
etc. etc. --- you get the point

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So Mora wants us to donate money because the original guys he recruited were bad, or did not bleed blue which is his problem for not promoting state pride. And we get no say as to where the money goes? Let's rename our mascot Jonathan the Mercenary. Bleed blue!!

Reaction Score
agree with you.

But they continue the charade because, as always, there's TOO MUCH MONEY to be made by those making the money. Who's that? ESPN, Fox, CBS, NBC, Apple, CW, etc. the NCAA, the bowl committees, advertisers, all of the conferences, and ultimately the universities themselves.

taking it pro returns the universities' football teams to what the spirit of college football was about (students playing sports and representing their colleges while also getting a true education as their primary endeavor/pursuit) but those days are long gone.

To turn this pro, you're essentially creating the junior NFL, which then takes the teams away from colleges, takes the best talent outside the college sports sphere, and leaves colleges with a significantly diminished pool of players to pick from. Essentially, all of college football immediately becomes at best low-level FCS talent, but predominantly D2/D3 talent. No one wants to watch a Michigan/Ohio St. game or Notre Dame/USC game with guys who are only good enough to play at CCSU or Wagner.

I don't have a solution, but i also know the "pro" thing won't happen because the powerful colleges love this setup and what it does for their brand and pockets BEYOND the athletic department. Check out Alabama enrollment/endowment trends in the pre-and-post nick saban eras. This is the part i feel like people forget, in the money sense. Conference payouts are not the real money-maker for schools like michigan, whose endowments are in the billions. The exposure and branding provided by elite football is worth more than a comparatively tiny conference payout.

And the players are happy to avoid going to class and major in "interdisciplinary studies" which is essentially High school 2.0, because that was never the point anyway. These administrators and coaches and NCAA governing officials are robbing them of a future, given that the vast majority of them will NEVER smell the grass on sundays. truly tragic.

• where is maurice clarett today?
  • glenn dorsey?
  • the countless P5 offensive linemen who paved the way for future famous QB's and RB's, but couldn't get into the NFL themselves?
etc. etc. --- you get the point
I'm saying the college teams go pro, not a sports league.

Heck, if you must, rent the school's brand for $1 a year.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So Mora wants us to donate money because the original guys he recruited were bad, or did not bleed blue which is his problem for not promoting state pride. And we get no say as to where the money goes? Let's rename our mascot Jonathan the Mercenary. Bleed blue!!
I believe it has more to do with the reality that anyone we want to recruit from last summer forward will be able to get an NIL payout so we will need to be able to offer something reasonably competitive if we want to land anyone.

Reaction Score
I'm saying the college teams go pro, not a sports league.

Heck, if you must, rent the school's brand for $1 a year.
understood. in that case, that's like... not college football at all lol.

it is literally junior NFL with fake branding.
"USC" vs. "Notre Dame". It's not actually USC vs. Notre Dame.

Jeeeeeez i hope something like that never ever happens.

Reaction Score
understood. in that case, that's like... not college football at all lol.

it is literally junior NFL with fake branding.
"USC" vs. "Notre Dame". It's not actually USC vs. Notre Dame.

Jeeeeeez i hope something like that never ever happens.
In other words, it's the same as we have now. Just more honest.

Reaction Score
He didn’t say players. He said scholarships. We have 120 players and 85 scholarships.

They will just find another way to have 20 more pseudo scholarships.

Better to leave it as it is and make players sit a year if they transfer unless they are grad transfers with one year of eligibility remaining.
If you are paying a guy $300,000 I’m not sure a 50,000 scholarship is all that valuable. Or up the NIL to cover the scholly.

Reaction Score
This (the transfer portal & NIL) will reach an equilibrium before long (next couple of seasons). Granted, schools like us may not be happy with what the equilibrium is (constant fear of losing quality players to programs with higher profiles and deeper pockets) but the portal and NIL will find a level that will be sustainable and reasonably consistent. Everything does.
Totally agree. As you note, the question is where does that equilibrium occur? In the case of Football, I just don't see the athletic departments, boosters, coaches, etc at school's 61-133 participating in, and/or being able to withstand, the annual roster turnstile situation for very long.

As has been noted in this thread, every school has roster turnover, but the difference is that Ohio State fights for the highest quality talent while UConn fights just to field a watchable product. At some point, we, and other schools, will say no mas and I can see a day where equilibrium is the top programs in each sport survive/thrive and the rest drop down to FCS-level or equivalent.

Reaction Score
There are only so many players and only so much money. There will definitely be some ebb/flow and it will settle out at some point.

And it will be very interesting to see which schools chase NIL and which schools don't (they all will but to varying degrees). Would it really make sense for the 8th team in the SEC/B1G to beg their donors for $10M a year to hand out when they won't be competitive anyway? At what point do the donors call BS and stop giving when they are ponying up $10M to go 4-8 every year.

I actually think that there is a reasonable chance that we can have a successful program at far less cost than some of the P4 conference schools will have to pay.

And this is one place where the TV contracts don't matter. All of this money has to come from donors. So if IU's donors don't want to pay for FB players because it is a lost cause - their TV money won't help them.

Will be a ton of noise, but I'm going to do my part, donate what I can and grab some popcorn and enjoy the ride.

Reaction Score
If you are paying a guy $300,000 I’m not sure a 50,000 scholarship is all that valuable. Or up the NIL to cover the scholly.

Yeah they don’t see it like that.

Would you work where your employer charges you 50k a year to be there?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom