This loss is on the coach | The Boneyard

This loss is on the coach

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Just rewatched the second half.

Connecticut is a solid Top 25 team. UConn has to play smarter offensively if it wants to be more than that, and that is the coach's responsibility.

UConn played well yesterday, especially on defense. I felt that UConn didn't understand Hurley's defensive rotations Hurley's first years in Storrs, but I think they get it now. UConn gets a lot of steals off the ball now, and the help defense is pretty good. MSU scored its 41st point at the 16:29 mark of the 2nd half. MSU scored 7 points the next 12+ minutes. UConn should have been up 15 points by the end of that stretch.

While UConn does not have a "go to" star, there is a lot of talent on this team and plenty of guys who can put the ball on the basket, but the Huskies have to play better offense if they want to consistently beat teams like Michigan State.. There were a lot of contested pullups, 1 on 2+ penetration, and silly turnovers (Sanogo's shot clock violation, AJ standing on the sideline, Martin's terrible turnover in the last 30 seconds trying an entry pass from the top of the key) that were just wasted possessions. It is hard to beat Tom Izzo doing that. I am amazed that the game was as close it was with UConn's offense.

Martin and Sanogo have to feel the double teams and kick it out. Polley was WIDE OPEN a bunch of times for an inside-out 3 attempt and players were not even looking for him.

Cole can be successful in the pickup basketball offense, but Gaffney needs a little more structure. After the weave start UConn runs sometimes, I can't tell what the offense is other than give the ball to one of about 5 players and see if they can beat their defender 1 on 1 (or 1 on 2). Also, when Jackson dumps the ball into Sanogo, he has to clear out and a shooter has to rotate in behind Sanogo to keep the defense honest. MSU was leaving Jackson undefended on the perimeter.

UConn can do everything right and still lose to a team like Michigan State, but the odds get pretty long to beat good teams if UConn wastes as many possessions as it does.

Hurley needs to assign a coach to run the offense. There is too much going on during a game for Hurley to do it himself, and Hurley is not that good at coaching offense anyway.

Reaction Score
I agree and for UCONN to lose that lead down the stretch it seems that Hurley is not as good as Izzo at this. Many here have questioned his in game coaching the last several years, is it warranted? The question in a tight game where even 1 missed offensive rebound or 1 possession can swing the game is did the players not execute what he wanted or did he have no plan for them? Let’s see what happens today, how he prepares the team, how we come out there. A good performance will psych us all up and a bad one will knock us down but the main thing is that no matter what happens we have a lot of quality pieces in this puzzle and it‘s going to be a long season, so let’s try to stay positive.

Reaction Score
Great point on post players needing to look for Polley when the doubles come. We need to do the same on long offensive rebounds and scramble situations too. Villanova has mastered this and they look for the three first before put backs, its deadly.

Reaction Score
I'm so sick and tired of hearing these "blame the coach" arguments. Hurley is 100x smarter than you at basketball, has coached 100s of games, and has seen almost every basketball scenario you can think of multiple times in his career. The man knows what he's doing and has built an elite basketball team. Most people on this board understand there are far too many variables that dictate the outcome of a game other than Hurley's offensive gameplan (which is pretty freakin' sound this early in the season and will only get better over time).

At the end of the day, the players still need to execute. Sanogo missed multiple baby-hooks late in the game (he'd normally hit a couple). Tyrese had a bonehead turnover (not Hurley's fault), and the team went 2-16 from three. The team was 15-26 against Auburn. Cole was the only player to hit a 3 and was blasphemously taken out of the game when it mattered most. If there's one thing to blame Hurley on it's keeping Isaiah from playing, which even then, he did the right thing prioritizing the player's health.

I'm sorry, this game is not on Hurley.

Reaction Score
He needs to make sure Sanogo understands every time he touches it doesnt mean he needs to score. If he has more than 2-3 dribbles to get his shot please find an open teammate. Love the kid, but being a black hole isn’t going to be a good thing for this team. And for now Hurley is always calling his number so he knows little else.

Reaction Score
I'm so sick and tired of hearing these "blame the coach" arguments. Hurley is 100x smarter than you at basketball, has coached 100s of games, and has seen almost every basketball scenario you can think of multiple times in his career. The man knows what he's doing and has built an elite basketball team. Most people on this board understand there are far too many variables that dictate the outcome of a game other than Hurley's offensive gameplan (which is pretty freakin' sound this early in the season and will only get better over time).

At the end of the day, the players still need to execute. Sanogo missed multiple baby-hooks late in the game (he'd normally hit a couple). Tyrese had a bonehead turnover (not Hurley's fault), and the team went 2-16 from three. The team was 15-26 against Auburn. Cole was the only player to hit a 3 and was blasphemously taken out of the game when it mattered most. If there's one thing to blame Hurley on it's keeping Isaiah from playing, which even then, he did the right thing prioritizing the player's health.

It’s not all on him players need to make plays no doubt. But certainly some of it is and thats why he gets paid the big bucks. Terrible in bounds plays being drawn up and the plays down the stretch coming out of time outs were obvious. Is what it is he needs to get better so do the players.

Reaction Score
Just rewatched the second half.

Connecticut is a solid Top 25 team. UConn has to play smarter offensively if it wants to be more than that, and that is the coach's responsibility.

UConn played well yesterday, especially on defense. I felt that UConn didn't understand Hurley's defensive rotations Hurley's first years in Storrs, but I think they get it now. UConn gets a lot of steals off the ball now, and the help defense is pretty good. MSU scored its 41st point at the 16:29 mark of the 2nd half. MSU scored 7 points the next 12+ minutes. UConn should have been up 15 points by the end of that stretch.

While UConn does not have a "go to" star, there is a lot of talent on this team and plenty of guys who can put the ball on the basket, but the Huskies have to play better offense if they want to consistently beat teams like Michigan State.. There were a lot of contested pullups, 1 on 2+ penetration, and silly turnovers (Sanogo's shot clock violation, AJ standing on the sideline, Martin's terrible turnover in the last 30 seconds trying an entry pass from the top of the key) that were just wasted possessions. It is hard to beat Tom Izzo doing that. I am amazed that the game was as close it was with UConn's offense.

Martin and Sanogo have to feel the double teams and kick it out. Polley was WIDE OPEN a bunch of times for an inside-out 3 attempt and players were not even looking for him.

Cole can be successful in the pickup basketball offense, but Gaffney needs a little more structure. After the weave start UConn runs sometimes, I can't tell what the offense is other than give the ball to one of about 5 players and see if they can beat their defender 1 on 1 (or 1 on 2). Also, when Jackson dumps the ball into Sanogo, he has to clear out and a shooter has to rotate in behind Sanogo to keep the defense honest. MSU was leaving Jackson undefended on the perimeter.

UConn can do everything right and still lose to a team like Michigan State, but the odds get pretty long to beat good teams if UConn wastes as many possessions as it does.

Hurley needs to assign a coach to run the offense. There is too much going on during a game for Hurley to do it himself, and Hurley is not that good at coaching offense anyway.
So by that Hurley is 1-1 this weekend since he lost this close game he must get all credit for winning against Auburn in a game in which they were down late.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
So by that Hurley is 1-1 this weekend since he lost this close game he must get all credit for winning against Auburn in a game in which they were down late.
They were down late … but only after losing a 15 point lead with 8 minutes left. And in the second OT were threatening to lose a large lead late, if a Jabari Smith three from the corner had gone in.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
and the fact they played a double ot, fast paced, high intensity game 19 hours earlier had nothing to do with execution.
Is this a statement or an excuse
Auburn played the same game and they didn't look like UConn did yesterday
It's time for everyone (except Martin) from DH to the staff to the players to put their big boy pants on
=================================================================

InKembaITrust

Hurley is 100x smarter than you at basketball, has coached 100s of games, and has seen almost every basketball scenario you can think of multiple times in his career.

If you believe this than help me understand how he seems to repeat the same errors time after time. Maybe he has a learning disorder? Because the guy coached 100s of games and seen all those things perhaps gives him more experience but smarter? I'm not buying that at all. If your center gets double and tripled teamed, refuses to find the open men and throws up prayers from 10-15 feet consistently and see it bite you in the during crunch time is smart, we look at the game through different lenses and my lens is a bit clearer than yours. Before you tell me that it was an anomaly and he will correct it - I say BS because we have seen it all season so far and it gets more apparent every game - DH either allows it or preaches it - either way it's not smart. Sanogo has been great and at time fortunate with many of his shots. There are times when he will throw a lot of bricks - at that point he is better served as a outlet passer vs a swing and miss player.
DH can recruit with the best of any coach and he should be applauded for that, He may be a good practice tactician, I don't know, He is not an effective game coach yet. He needs a mentor to help him prioritize, think clearly and maintain emotion levels during those big games and closing minutes. He is not a lousy coach by a long shot but I feel he loses focus and attention to detail under pressure. He's an emotional person and sometimes lets it get in his way

Reaction Score
The Sanogo shot clock situation (the one in the 2nd half) wasn't his fault. We got screwed on that one by the clock operator/refs. On replay I checked and the shot clock started at 20 not 30, and it was after a Mich St turnover so should have been 30. We ran a normal set we run all the time and so Sanogo had no reason to think the shot clock would be expiring. He had deep position as it expired.

Maybe that's on the coaches for not noticing and/or warning the players or getting the refs to go look at it, and slightly on the players for not noticing, but I don't know why players would check the shot clock when it should have 10 seconds left.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
and the fact they played a double ot, fast paced, high intensity game 19 hours earlier had nothing to do with execution.
And we were at such a disadvantage talent wise and only able to "claw back and make it a double OT game" because the inbounds plays and plays called out of time outs were so well conceived?

I read most of the criticisms of DH to mean the team has several demonstrated weaknesses that haven't improved over the four years he's coached here and if they're not addressed it won't matter how well he recruits or how proud he is to coach UConn.

Reaction Score
Is this a statement or an excuse
Auburn played the same game and they didn't look like UConn did yesterday
It's time for everyone (except Martin) from DH to the staff to the players to put their big boy pants on

=================================================================

InKembaITrust

Hurley is 100x smarter than you at basketball, has coached 100s of games, and has seen almost every basketball scenario you can think of multiple times in his career.

If you believe this than help me understand how he seems to repeat the same errors time after time. Maybe he has a learning disorder? Because the guy coached 100s of games and seen all those things perhaps gives him more experience but smarter? I'm not buying that at all. If your center gets double and tripled teamed, refuses to find the open men and throws up prayers from 10-15 feet consistently and see it bite you in the during crunch time is smart, we look at the game through different lenses and my lens is a bit clearer than yours. Before you tell me that it was an anomaly and he will correct it - I say BS because we have seen it all season so far and it gets more apparent every game - DH either allows it or preaches it - either way it's not smart. Sanogo has been great and at time fortunate with many of his shots. There are times when he will throw a lot of bricks - at that point he is better served as a outlet passer vs a swing and miss player.
DH can recruit with the best of any coach and he should be applauded for that, He may be a good practice tactician, I don't know, He is not an effective game coach yet. He needs a mentor to help him prioritize, think clearly and maintain emotion levels during those big games and closing minutes. He is not a lousy coach by a long shot but I feel he loses focus and attention to detail under pressure. He's an emotional person and sometimes lets it get in his way
Auburn played a worse team, did not lose a starter to injury, and played 3 hours later.

Reaction Score
One of the benefits of early season tournaments vs solid teams/opponents is that it exposes weaknesses and shows the players/coaches what they need to work on and improve on to win the majority of their remaining games and make the Tournament.

This tournament has done that for us. Let's get another W today. 2>1

Reaction Score
We didn’t lose because of Hurley. We lost because Michigan st played great defensively, and we didn’t make enough open shots. 2-16 lose. 16-25 win. Nothing to do with Hurley. More to do with tired legs THE END

Mike Honcho

HU5KIES!
Reaction Score
The Sanogo shot clock situation (the one in the 2nd half) wasn't his fault. We got screwed on that one by the clock operator/refs. On replay I checked and the shot clock started at 20 not 30, and it was after a Mich St turnover so should have been 30. We ran a normal set we run all the time and so Sanogo had no reason to think the shot clock would be expiring. He had deep position as it expired.

Maybe that's on the coaches for not noticing and/or warning the players or getting the refs to go look at it, and slightly on the players for not noticing, but I don't know why players would check the shot clock when it should have 10 seconds left.
Well that's bs.

It was not the clock operator's best effort yesterday.

Reaction Score
We didn’t lose because of Hurley. We lost because Michigan st played great defensively, and we didn’t make enough open shots. 2-16 lose. 16-25 win. Nothing to do with Hurley. More to do with tired legs THE END
They still win this game and should have with the dreadful shooting. The mistakes and execution during the final 2 minutes was their undoing. This has happened time and time again over the past couple years. Both players and coaches need to fix these shortcomings

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Nothing is more tedious than a poster's hot take being that the refs suck.

Reaction Score
I'm slowly getting past the MSU loss....moving on to VCU mode.

Hopefully unlike the first 2 in Atlantis the VCU game is not in the balance late, if it is we need Cole on the floor.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And we were at such a disadvantage talent wise and only able to "claw back and make it a double OT game" because the inbounds plays and plays called out of time outs were so well conceived?

I read most of the criticisms of DH to mean the team has several demonstrated weaknesses that haven't improved over the four years he's coached here and if they're not addressed it won't matter how well he recruits or how proud he is to coach UConn.

I agree. It comes down to the fact that UConn just wastes too many possessions. A coach's job, at its most fundamental, is to maximize the points per possession on offense while minimizing it on defense. One of the easier things to fix on offense is shot selection, and it has to get done, because UConn takes too many awful shots.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Groundhog Day. He takes no timeouts while our deficit grows to double digits. He doesn't play our best players together or the minutes they deserve. If Cole needs a breather put Hawkins and Jackson out there to handle the ball.

I'm still very high on Hurley and very happy he's our coach, but someone needs to ask him why he keeps doing these things year after year. It would be nice if our beat writers asked him some of these questions.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Groundhog Day. He takes no timeouts while our deficit grows to double digits. He doesn't play our best players together or the minutes they deserve. If Cole needs a breather put Hawkins and Jackson out there to handle the ball.

I'm still very high on Hurley and very happy he's our coach, but someone needs to ask him why he keeps doing these things year after year. It would be nice if our beat writers asked him some of these questions.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom