This game showed that all the… | Page 2 | The Boneyard

This game showed that all the…

Reaction Score
Watching AJ up close these last couple days gives me a new respect for what he does and can bring. His energy and athleticism is off the charts. He’s in on ever board on both sides. Today was polley shoot was in an out on ever 3, need his scoring and no Whaley. Always a tough to take an L when the game is there for win but these kids played their hearts out coming off a big double OT win. The player I wanted to suceed most and nicest you’ll ever meet is akok, his mins have come up empty. Faith he’ll turn that around.

Reaction Score
If anything, Jackson is likely not a 2 year player at the college level. I think he tests the NBA draft waters after this year is over..but returns next year as a junior to maximize his skill set and readiness for the NBA.

That would be great for next year's Uconn team because we are losing at minimum 4 key players after this season ends (Whaley, Polley, Cole and Martin). Heck, we might even be losing Sanogo early if has an Emeka Okafor type year.

4 years for AJ unless he can shoot it suddenly. By no means is that a bad thing for UConn but he’s certainly not testing any waters soon.

Reaction Score
4 years for AJ unless he can shoot it suddenly. By no means is that a bad thing for UConn but he’s certainly not testing any waters soon.
Agree on all fronts. He can do some nice things. If he develops some offense he’ll be a beast. But that ain’t happening overnight.

Reaction Score
Jackson on offense is like a Triple Crown racehorse and he needs to remember the old John Wooden quote "be quick but don't hurry". He wants to attack and if the other players get to their spots he can get them the ball. On defense guarding smaller guards who can really dribble he is at a disadvantage. He might need to back off a step so he does not get beat up top. But he needs to play a lot now so at the end of the year there is improvement that can take us places. Hawkins needs time also and he will be getting it. Have no doubt.

Reaction Score
…posters that were dissing Andre Jackson’s game don’t know basketball. Period.

BTW, as far as this statement above- there are posters on this board who have dissed AJ and many others who have forgotten more basketball than you will ever know
Lol, OK champ.

Reaction Score
Jackson is our PG. If it wasn’t clear before today, it is now. I don’t see much overlap except that they are both great rebounders. Both play good D.
What are you talking about? How are people still questioning who our point guard is?

There's a lot of dumb stuff on this board but this is the dumbest recurring theme.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Maybe we’re watching different games but Martin and Jackson aren’t even remotely close. Jackson lacks a lot offensively but his passes and handles aren’t an issue.
Again, I am not saying they are the same player. I am saying that, although Jackson is an exceptional athlete with great potential, what he brings to the lineup right now is something that Martin—and to an extent Whaley—is already providing.

Jackson’s passes always look flashy, but many times a simpler pass would be better and more effective. As for his handle, neither he nor Martin should be the second ball handler imo, but they were for most of the game yesterday and the offense was putrid and stagnant as a result.

The simple and inescapable point is that we need another outside scoring threat besides Cole and for most of the game yesterday we didn’t have that. I would love to see our offensive numbers for the first five minutes of each half of basketball this season. It seems we start most games in the hole because of our inability to score. Hurley loves how disruptive Jackson is defensively, but if we are unable to score at the other end it’s still a net negative by the five-minute mark.

I maintain, as I have from the start of the season, that Jackson’s best use would be the first player off the bench at the first timeout. I think he would be more disruptive then, and hopefully playing with a lead instead of trying to dig out of a hole.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Again, I am not saying they are the same player. I am saying that, although Jackson is an exceptional athlete with great potential, what he brings to the lineup right now is something that Martin—and to an extent Whaley—is already providing.

Jackson’s passes always look flashy, but many times a simpler pass would be better and more effective. As for his handle, neither he nor Martin should be the second ball handler imo, but they were for most of the game yesterday and the offense was putrid and stagnant as a result.

The simple and inescapable point is that we need another outside scoring threat besides Cole and for most of the game yesterday we didn’t have that. I would love to see our offensive numbers for the first five minutes of each half of basketball this season. It seems we start most games in the hole because of our inability to score. Hurley loves how disruptive Jackson is defensively, but if we are unable to score at the other end it’s still a net negative by the five-minute mark.

I maintain, as I have from the start of the season, that Jackson’s best use would be the first player off the bench at the first timeout. I think he would be more disruptive then, and hopefully playing with a lead instead of trying to dig out of a hole.
Oh,I agree that Jackson should be the first off the bench and I would start Hawkins at the 2. Hawkins has to play 30-35+ minutes. He's Tyler Phommachanh good not to.

Something that people should focus on is Hurley's late game lineups and his absolute refusal to call a timeout when the opposing team is going on a run. Refuses to take a timeout when we're down by 6 and the opposing team has the momentum and before you know it we're down by 12/14

Reaction Score
The 3 he hit while out of bounds couldn’t be more accurate of the types of losing plays this team has made the last two days. They are so good, but also can’t go for the jugular. Once they figure out how, watch out
Up 4, under 2 minutes should be 100% win.This team needs to learn how to put teams away. Should have won, but I’ll take a valuable lesson learned if Hurley can translate this tourney into deep March run.

Reaction Score
…posters that were dissing Andre Jackson’s game don’t know basketball. Period.

BTW, as far as this statement above- there are posters on this board who have dissed AJ and many others who have forgotten more basketball than you will ever know

You have made this exact same statement at least 10x on this board. Every time I see it, I am more shocked by how stupid it is.

Reaction Score
Coaches fall in love with players and don’t see their faults just like fans do. Great coaches manage to avoid that. Hurley is in love with Jackson’s athleticism but looks past he defensive lapses, French pastry when white bread would be fine. He reacts on defense, doesn’t anticipate. Over time he might become a great player. Or he might just be a great athlete.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
What are you talking about? How are people still questioning who our point guard is?

There's a lot of dumb stuff on this board but this is the dumbest recurring theme.

It has nothing to do with Cole. Cole is our lead guard. But increasingly Dan is having Jackson bring it up and when he doesn’t, has the guard who does get it to Jackson up top to start the offense. He did it most of the game yesterday. Did anyone else not see that?

It isn’t a wish of mine, it’s an observation of what Hurley seems to be doing. Gaff is clearly not a PG at this point. Cole is fine as a PG but is also our best scoring and shooting guard. Jackson has issues as a shooter we all know. I think Dan is trying to get as much as he can from Jackson despite that. I don’t think it’s a short term win now approach, but rather an attempt to maximize what we have in March.

Let’s see what happens today.

Reaction Score
Part of the problem is that we have so many players on the court who are not able to create their own offense. This is further magnified by Adama's lack of assists. He's such a talented scorer, but he's going to be seeing a lot of double-teams until he becomes a threat to find an open three-point shooter. If he would pass the ball on just 20% of his touches, he'd not only be a better player, he'd make our perimeter shooters better too.
I'd like to see what happens if they try setting up Sanogo up top more, then he sets picks to allow other players to go around and down the lane for pass, then Sanogo can go inside for rebounds too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom