Thinking of moving to Southington | The Boneyard

Thinking of moving to Southington

Reaction Score
Currently reside in Rocky Hill but planning on moving in the next year or so.

Wife works at UConn Health in Farmington and I’m working in New Haven. I want my wife to be relatively close to her job and I don’t mind the commuting a longer distance.

I have a soon to be 3-year old and a baby due in December so we are hoping to get settled in before my oldest starts pre-school.

We drove around some parts of Southington and found some neighborhoods that we really liked but we don’t know too much about the area, school system, and the community as a whole. I know the town is big into sports which I do love but outside of that I don’t know much else.

Would love to hear some feedback, thanks!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Lived there for 25 years.

The school system is solid, and the drive to New Haven is not bad but it gets boring on 91S. Traffic sometimes turns it into an hour long commute. I commuted to New Haven for a while but it was manageable.

The town loves itself, in a weird way. There’s a strong Southington pride which I never got into, but it is what it is. It’s a typical CT suburb town: pretty safe and the police don’t bother you unless you’re drunk driving or stealing money from town funds.

Sports in the town are important until your kids graduate high school, and the town recreation sports and facilities are pretty underwhelming for a town this size.

I’d be happy to answer any more questions.

Reaction Score
It's kind of funny, but when I was looking at houses there it seemed that every house:

a) You could hear the highway,
b) Had those huge power line towers in sight or,
c) Both.

I do think it's a good town to raise kids in though. Nice town center, sports are top notch, good restaurants.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
It's kind of funny, but when I was looking at houses there it seemed that every house:

a) You could hear the highway,
b) Had those huge power line towers in sight or,
c) Both.

I do think it's a good town to raise kids in though. Nice town center, sports are top notch, good restaurants.
I would argue the good restaurants. And now that you mention it, there are a decent amount of power lines in some spots...

Reaction Score
@CTBasketball appreciate the insight. Is there one area of Southington that’s better than others in your opinion? I know there are a bunch of elementary schools in town but unsure if one stands out over the others.

The neighborhood we were looking into I believe we would go to Thalberg if Realtor.com is right.

Reaction Score
@CTBasketball appreciate the insight. Is there one area of Southington that’s better than others in your opinion? I know there are a bunch of elementary schools in town but unsure if one stands out over the others.

The neighborhood we were looking into I believe we would go to Thalberg if Realtor.com is right.

Lived in Southington for 31 years (minus college in MA). Grew up near Hatton Elementary. Wife and I have a house near the Aqua Turf (technically Plantsville). Having lived in both the eastern and southern part of town. I like the southern (Plantsville) part of town better. Easier access to both highways (84 & 691), and away from the congestion.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I would argue the good restaurants. And now that you mention it, there are a decent amount of power lines in some spots...

I had some suprisingly fantastic Ramen in Southington.

It has a lot of chain places, but some other really decent offerings. Im with Deepster on this.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I’m a product of Thalberg. If that doesn’t change your mind....

The sports part is a blessing and a curse. It’s fairly crazy and politically messy at times.

I also lived on the Plainville side and the Plantsville side - kind of preferred the Plantsville side.

The thing I notice when I go back is the town is starting to feel a little run down in places. The nice parts are still really nice but parts are showing their age.

It’s not that different than Rocky Hill other than it’s bigger. My cousin teaches at Stevens in RH doesn’t sound any different than Southington in her stories.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I’m a product of Thalberg. If that doesn’t change your mind....

The sports part is a blessing and a curse. It’s fairly crazy and politically messy at times.

I also lived on the Plainville side and the Plantsville side - kind of preferred the Plantsville side.

The thing I notice when I go back is the town is starting to feel a little run down in places. The nice parts are still really nice but parts are showing their age.
That’s what happens when you look at things through older eyes.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Grew up there, parents still live there. It is a bit odd compared to other places I've lived. There is a bit of an inbred quality to families that have lived there multiple generations and never left town.

There are good eats, the schools are solid to very good if your kid is bright. As for neigborhoods, I'd split the town east/west of Rte 10 and north/south of Berlin St, favoring east of that line.

It's full of subdivisions, your price point when it was built probably matters more after which school district you pick. There is a wide variety in housing stock.

Reaction Score
I remember playing them in sports and all the people being really proud of Carl Pavano being from there.

That wouldn’t be something I’d be proud of.
Eh, I went to Conard in WH. The best we got is Olympic gold medalist Jim Shea.

We do also have Mike Schur and Charlie Kaufman at least.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Eh, I went to Conard in WH. The best we got is Olympic gold medalist Jim Shea.

We do also have Mike Schur and Charlie Kaufman at least.

which one did ken ober attend

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I remember playing them in sports and all the people being really proud of Carl Pavano being from there.

That wouldn’t be something I’d be proud of.

When I was growing up it was Rob Dibble.

Speaking of which if you are curious about the inbred corruptness google "Smoron Farm" It is a well known and unfortunately fairly representative.

It also ties into the weird sports obsession because it concerns a 30 year obsession with building a sports complex in town.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom