OT: - Things Somehow Get Worse at Alabama | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Things Somehow Get Worse at Alabama

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
They've done it all year...many teams do it. It was a boneheaded, cringey error from the walk-on and Miller. There's nothing to see here. This mistake is harmless compared to the last one.

If it was our playerd I'd say the same thing "oof, not so bright man." And move on.

The level of outrage I'm seeing over this online is out of line. Stupid mistake. Move on.
No excuse for their disconnected (from his soul) Coach to not have anticipated this and cut it off at the pass. But more likely he knew and just didn't give one ....

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Fair. There’s just too much smoke, and it seems like his attorney releases a statement and everyone is taking it as truth. But yes I shouldn’t be accusing without facts. But take knowingly out of what I said and it still stands if he hadn’t come back, the gun wouldn’t be there. I guess the phone records will show it, if he saw the text before he arrived, then yes it’s knowingly, if he hadn’t then it changes things for sure.

“If If If If it seems I guess” means maybe you should stop saying things so definitively. But hey, what do I know.

Reaction Score
“If If If If it seems I guess” means maybe you should stop saying things so definitively. But hey, what do I know.
This response was literally my backtracking and agreeing I was being too definitive. Hence the “if’s”. If you’re reading the “ifs” as definitive it’s not my problem you lack comprehension.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
This response was literally my backtracking and agreeing I was being too definitive. Hence the “if’s”. If you’re reading the “ifs” as definitive it’s not my problem you lack comprehension.

Backtracking previous definitive statements. Thank you kindly for proving my point. I was talking about your whole interaction.

Reaction Score
Brother, I don't care about these stupid back and forths, but you wrote a bunch of hypotheticals then said to him sarcastically "good lawyering."

He then answered normally your dumb hypotheticals to prove he did actually know "how to lawyer" and YOU said to HIM "no need to get pissy."

Now you're going after me with side fights about what constitutes an "attack." You're being annoying at best. No biggie, just pointing it out to you.
“A bunch of dumb hypotheticals”? LMAOOO Dramatic much? I stated the single alleged detail that Miller blocked in the woman’s car; which we will have to see how the surveillance tape is interpreted. Then I literally just asked him what he thinks about that detail. It wasn’t some challenge; but evidently he was feeling sensitive and took it as such. I can’t help it if people misinterpret a basic question with their emotional bias.

I made a basic joke about how lawyers are good at spinning.

Neither of these things warranted the pissy reply I got.

Reaction Score
The fact that Oats didn’t give him even a temporary suspension still blows my mind.
I feel like this is like a player doing something like this

1677603437710.gif

In every game; crass enough on its own. But then he continues to do it after he got a woman black-out drunk and a teammate went on to r-pe her.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I practiced what I was first taught in law school by mediating conflicts between neighbors, landlords & tenants, and family members in the Community Mediation Centers in Manhattan and Brooklyn. The parties were largely in unavoidable proximity to each other without easy escape that wouldn't disrupt foundational aspects of their lives.

I taught Social Psychology of Conflict at NYU in the non-degree-granting School of Professional and Continuing Studies (not a big deal, and not nothing).

I posit that this forum's participants skew majority:

Male
White
Hetero
Sheltered
Food-secure
Physically-safe
College-educated
Property-protected
Nominally Christian

Yes, there is wide representation here of people who read that lead and flinch while thinking, "Hey, I'm not ALL of those." I know that. I'm not all of those either. Relax about this please.

Our ages and politics and health markers and temperaments and personal values and family backgrounds (and more) have enough variance to fuel the variety of passionate responses on display here. I'm simply laying out the dominant cultural norms that would be expected within a community of fans of the same large-audience spectator sports team. These are characteristics that are so widespread among us that it can be easy to either not consider them, or figure that most everybody shares them.

90% of mediated conflict between individuals on relatively equal footing boils down to this:

"You disrespected me."

"No, you disrespected me."

Something of this dynamic happened on a January Saturday night in Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Legal and potentially lethal firearms were used to assist in the resolution of the conflict. Brandon Miller's attorney offered a prepared statement that twice used a similarly neutral-sounding, passive-voice phrase "gunfire erupted."

There is allowance within this thread and this story for the possibility that people who do not share the background assumptions listed above feel the need to strengthen their differing opinions or protect themselves with guns. It seems as though Alabama laws provide room for such responses.

With nothing more than a hope that I've provided food for thought for one or a few people reading this, I've read many comments that appear to adhere to the

"You're disrespecting me."

"No, you're disrespecting."

I get the impression that this dynamic is intentional, and seeks agreement plus enrolled allied support from others in order to mute, devalue, neuter, and eliminate the disrespecting/disrespected oppositional point of view...by any means necessary.

Screenshot_20230228-121201.png

I'm not a fan of using, "Hypocrite!" as a mic drop epithet. It seems too much like a gunshot-equivalent for people fortunate enough (by combination of birth, circumstance, and applied effort) to enjoy the freedoms, power, and benefits of the 'majority' package enumerated near the beginning of this post. But the prescription to slow our own rolls seems apt at pretty much every juncture of this evolving story, irrespective of whatever you may think is self-evident in contrast to the idiocy you see elsewhere.

Again, my intention is to stimulate further consideration of our beliefs, opinions, framings, and those of others.

Like any decent mediator, my fidelity is to working myself out of my job. Thanks for reading.

Go Huskies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc