Things I love about Aalyiah Edwards | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Things I love about Aalyiah Edwards

Reaction Score
dolson

You know, I think Dolson was a finesse player. Excellent outside shooting touch, and tremendous passer. But she was never the bull dog under the basket. I think AE is that power pack, and Coach Geno earlier in the season in a post game remark said precisely that: she brings the power in the post that UConn needs to win a national championship. Tina certainly had the under-the-basket power as well. Kiah Stokes- sometimes. But her game as well was not an offensive game, and she used finesse to block shots.

Reaction Score
Will be a great match up problem for teams with strong bigs such as South Carolina. Running the court on Boston a great strategy and her knowledge of when to pick and roll and generally cut into open lanes works well everywhere.

Reaction Score
You know, I think Dolson was a finesse player. Excellent outside shooting touch, and tremendous passer. But she was never the bull dog under the basket. I think AE is that power pack, and Coach Geno earlier in the season in a post game remark said precisely that: she brings the power in the post that UConn needs to win a national championship. Tina certainly had the under-the-basket power as well. Kiah Stokes- sometimes. But her game as well was not an offensive game, and she used finesse to block shots.
Dolson and Charles were finesse players?:confused:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I’ll add one, her smile. When there’s a break in the action after a good play whether by her or one of her teammates she smiles. Sometimes I think that’s one of the hardest things for freshman to remember. You play this game because you love it. It’s fun. When players play with joy in the moment, they are just better.

Reaction Score
Dolson and Charles were finesse players?:confused:

Not Tina. She was a powerhouse! She's developed the outside touch in the WNBA, likely as a result of getting double- and triple-teamed even in the WNBA every time she touched the ball. But at UConn she was a classic back to the basket post player with great strength- and explosive quickness. She was an exception. Breanna I don't consider a "post player" per se, because she did everything: brought the ball up the court, shot the three, drove to the basket, pull up in the lane and shoot, set screens. Everything!!! She could rebound and shoot inside, but she was never limited to the roll of a set-up post.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I think the posters on McGraw's Bench would vehemently disagree. They seem to think she is the dirtiest player ever in WCBB for the way she would knock their players around. She is their primary example when they cry, "UConn gets all the calls!"

Reaction Score
In my DIII college career, our coach did not switch on screens out front. He believed in fighting over screens whenever possible. A strategy. I would argue the best strategy but there's an argument for switching too.
Fighting over screens is most effective when the screener's defender "hedges". The hedge creates space for the ballhandler's defender to slide over the screen and makes the player with the ball take a wider path to the scoring area. One advantage to this method is that the defense stays connected to the offense. One disadvantage and why switching is the predominant technique is losing the screener when they roll toward the basket.
Long story short- Aaliyah can hedge like nobody's business. It is inspiring. I have even seen her trap out of a hedge, which gets me hooting at the TV. If you think about it, trapping is actually a "defense" against the pick and roll. (need a quick team, a team that can help, and a rim protector) Of course I like it.
Go Aaliyah- beast mode!

Reaction Score
She spreads herself on the zone and takes up lots of space. She is already very proficient at the jump switch to stop the pick and roll and then work back to her player. She rebounds and boxes well. She seems to have absorbed the defensive techniques quicker than some of the freshmen. I think her experience with the Canadian National team helped her a lot in the adjustments. The thing I love about the most is the way she runs the court. She sprints up on every fast break. She is also working on her foul line jumper which will make her a great forward for high low. She will be a Morgan Tuck type player before she is done.
I think you are right...particularly on playing defense and running the court. Her offensive game, however, is a different matter. Her mid rang jumper is a shot with no touch...it is like throwing a snowball against a brick wall. When her mid range shots go in , they are usually getting a lucky bounce off the glass. And her footwork and touch under the basket are far from smooth. In almost every offensive move she makes, she is creating one or two fouls on her way to the basket. The same thing occurs when she battles for offensive boards. We all see enormous potential, but Morgan Tuck ( at this stage ) was far more refined as a basketball player than Edwards.

Lots of players on this team need time and experience....not to mention the great coaching available. But I am thrilled with the talent and prospects.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Agree with all of this. The toughness is really appreciated as a change of pace. Yes she commits way to many fouls and turnovers but those are the things that almost always get better with experience. We have been using small forwards at the 4 way too much for my liking, and haven't had a true banger in the post for awhile. Now we do.
If you think we have been using small forwards at the 4 why would you want her in the post and not the 4? As a post player she is going to be a very good 4, I don't see her competing as a true post player, we have new recruits coming that are better suited for the 5 spot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom