The yore of UConn QBs & Coaches past… | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The yore of UConn QBs & Coaches past…

Reaction Score
You’re just now realizing that that was the worst defensive team in the history of football? In a year where in 11 games we gave up more total yards (by 150 or so IIRC) than any team in history had ever given up in 12?
Eventually selective amnesia will kick in, but that defense was so horrific the memories of how bad they were are still burned like a laser in my mind. The Memphis and Missouri games stand out. Our defense was only marginally better than 11 traffic cones.

Reaction Score
Eventually selective amnesia will kick in, but that defense was so horrific the memories of how bad they were are still burned like a laser in my mind. The Memphis and Missouri games stand out. Our defense was only marginally better than 11 traffic cones.
People say I’ve become too negative, but there is no way I’d throw 11 random traffic cones under the bus like that.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Yes, Johnny Mac was a junior, but he was a walkon. Nebrich was a three star recruit who was recruited by Edsall/Moorehead. Johnny would never have seen the field for more than spot duty if Edsall had stayed. It was just a case of PP making a break from the past. Nebrich saw the handwriting on the wall after a year of that and followed Moorehead. He made the right decision. Lost in this discussion is the fact that Chandler Witmer transferred in the next year and took the the starting qb job away from Mac.
Wasn't it Whitmer whose concussion protocol involved moving to wideout for a play or two?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Tyler Davis was moved from QB to TE but I think he was a P recruit.
Donovan Williams, followed a year later by Tyler Davis were both Diaco recruits and crazy Bobby talked up their abilities. He moved Williama to TE (and said Davis was going to push him out of QB anyway) and then did the same with Davis.

Reaction Score
Wasn't it Whitmer whose concussion protocol involved moving to wideout for a play or two?
Don't know, but that would violate the intent of any concussion protocol that I am aware of. Even of you are running decoy routes with no intention of the QB to pass to you, you can still get hit. If that happened it was crazy.

Reaction Score
Donovan Williams, followed a year later by Tyler Davis were both Diaco recruits and crazy Bobby talked up their abilities. He moved Williama to TE (and said Davis was going to push him out of QB anyway) and then did the same with Davis.
Thanks.

Davis did eventually play in the NFL as a TE. He played 14 games for the Packers last year and is on track to make the roster again in 2022.

Reaction Score
Here's hoping 2 things happen so we can see our QB play look a lot better during this new regime: 1) OL play 2) front 7 on D play... OL has got to hold up and not fold (no bonehead false start penalties, holds... messes up our tempo), as well as run block and pass protect better... our front 7 needs to make more plays... plain and simple... way too many times opposing teams make it to our 3rd level, the DBs... who are/were too slight to make tackles that the bigger guys (LBs/DLinemen) could handle...

Reaction Score
Here's hoping 2 things happen so we can see our QB play look a lot better during this new regime: 1) OL play 2) front 7 on D play... OL has got to hold up and not fold (no bonehead false start penalties, holds... messes up our tempo), as well as run block and pass protect better... our front 7 needs to make more plays... plain and simple... way too many times opposing teams make it to our 3rd level, the DBs... who are/were too slight to make tackles that the bigger guys (LBs/DLinemen) could handle...
Agreed. But regarding run blocking, in the recent past pulling linemen to lead the run blocking sucked. And I am not confident that it will be much better this year (we shall see). In the days of Jordan Todman and Anthony Sherman, having a fullback in the backfield that could hit the point of attack much quicker and with a lot more northbound kinetic energy (like a ton of bricks) was hugely successful. I really wish they would get back to that some. The last time UConn played Temple they killed UConn by doing that. Pulling linemen who have to first run east or west (and often make a cut north) before they make contact is more difficult to execute correctly and with the right timing. Being able to run the ball between the tackles really opens up the passing game as we all know. And it has been a long time since UConn has been able to do that effectively.

Reaction Score
True enough. But it allowed us to transport ourselves to the days of the Yankee Conference with that highly entertaining game against Rhode Island, won by the last team to possess the football. The last time I had seen Rhode Island play was in 1967 at Centennial Field, a 0-0 tie against UVM.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Wasn't Donovan Williams the one who Diaco said was the best he had ever seen at his position? Even for Diaco that was crazy talk.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Don't know, but that would violate the intent of any concussion protocol that I am aware of. Even of you are running decoy routes with no intention of the QB to pass to you, you can still get hit. If that happened it was crazy.
I was being a little flippant calling it a protocol, but they did line him out wide as a decoy when he was too groggy to play his position.

Reaction Score
I was being a little flippant calling it a protocol, but they did line him out wide as a decoy when he was too groggy to play his position.
I remember posting on the Courant message board about that and got flamed by the moderator (the beat writer) for even suggesting that. BS, it was an obvious case of mismanagement that would get a coach fired today.

Reaction Score
There was one way to find out and that was to play him.
PP liked Tim Boyle. The entire staff at the time was willing to let Boyle develop.

Biggest issue was the offensive line was terrible and Whitmer, who was an excellent talent, got nearly killed. Boyle should have been the guy.

Reaction Score
IIRC, we have not beaten a FCS level team easily since the day FHCRE left the first time. Literally every game since then has been competitive, some far too much so.

It would be nice to go back to beating up on somebody. Anybody.

I believe the first 2 under PP we won easily. Took a couple of years for the talent to degrade that much. Then we lost to Towson and since then they’ve all been a struggle or a loss

Reaction Score
I believe the first 2 under PP we won easily. Took a couple of years for the talent to degrade that much. Then we lost to Towson and since then they’ve all been a struggle or a loss
Technically, we did not play a 1AA team in Ps 2d year. UMass played role of cupcake game that year.

Reaction Score
IIRC, we have not beaten a FCS level team easily since the day FHCRE left the first time. Literally every game since then has been competitive, some far too much so.

It would be nice to go back to beating up on somebody. Anybody.
I'm more confident about beating UConn beating FCS teams this year. Why? 1) I think a dual threat QB will help UConn's offense considerably against an FCS opponent, and 2) Mora has brought in more beef in the defensive front 7. Although size isn't the only factor to consider, but UConn was not physically much bigger than Holy Cross last year and at some key positions, Holy Cross was bigger (LB and RB). Last year, UConn had 1 d-lineman heavier than 300 lbs. This year's roster (although not updated), lists 5. And, last year, UConn listed 0 LBs greater than 234 lbs. This year's roster lists 6. Last year's starting LBs averaged 219 lbs and this year's starting LBs should average 235 lbs +.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'm more confident about beating UConn beating FCS teams this year. Why? 1) I think a dual threat QB will help UConn's offense considerably against an FCS opponent, and 2) Mora has brought in more beef in the defensive front 7. Although size isn't the only factor to consider, but UConn was not physically much bigger than Holy Cross last year and at some key positions, Holy Cross was bigger (LB and RB). Last year, UConn had 1 d-lineman heavier than 300 lbs. This year's roster (although not updated), lists 5. And, last year, UConn listed 0 LBs greater than 234 lbs. This year's roster lists 6. Last year's starting LBs averaged 219 lbs and this year's starting LBs should average 235 lbs +.

oh snap. Mora has fallen in to the PP "prototype" sized guy traps. We need speed not size. JK. Kinda. But us fans have gotten abused by both mentalities. Maybe it's talent regardless of size?

Reaction Score

So let's split the difference. P's first game, they below out Fordham in 2011. I have no recollection at all of that game. They didn't play an FCS team in 2012, and then lost to Towson in 2013.

Reaction Score
I have a bunch of friends who live in Maine who were so excited that Maine was playing UConn. So in typical fashion I offended the woof gods by laughing at their enthusiasm and very nearly paid the price when Mike Beaudry was unveiled as the Next Coming and promptly fell flat on his face. That night I learned never to do that again.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am reminded of Ryan Fine, transfer from Miami. He was big too. But my grandmother could move quicker and tackle better than him. I do like your approach to the question, though.

Reaction Score
oh snap. Mora has fallen in to the PP "prototype" sized guy traps. We need speed not size. JK. Kinda. But us fans have gotten abused by both mentalities. Maybe it's talent regardless of size?
I think the 3-3-5 defense that Crocker brought to UConn was a disaster and it lead to some poor recruiting decisions on defense that were felt for years. (The portal now allows you to fix mistakes much quicker.) In 2016, the defense was ranked 65th in yards per game at 410.8. In 2017, with 7 starters returning and Crocker's new defense, they were ranked 127th in yards per game at 519.0. Then the bottom fell out in 2018 with the historically worst defense.

On offense, UConn could not recruit decent QBs with Guifre as OC. Thankfully, the portal has allowed UConn to bring in some QB talent and the change in OC helped UConn to recruit Turner from Florida.

Reaction Score
So let's split the difference. P's first game, they below out Fordham in 2011. I have no recollection at all of that game. They didn't play an FCS team in 2012, and then lost to Towson in 2013.

Yea I misremembered I was thinking umass was still fcs in 2012

Reaction Score
I think the 3-3-5 defense that Crocker brought to UConn was a disaster and it lead to some poor recruiting decisions on defense that were felt for years. (The portal now allows you to fix mistakes much quicker.) In 2016, the defense was ranked 65th in yards per game at 410.8. In 2017, with 7 starters returning and Crocker's new defense, they were ranked 127th in yards per game at 519.0. Then the bottom fell out in 2018 with the historically worst defense.

On offense, UConn could not recruit decent QBs with Guifre as OC. Thankfully, the portal has allowed UConn to bring in some QB talent and the change in OC helped UConn to recruit Turner from Florida.
That dumb gimmick and recruiting tweens killed us. It was concept that doesn’t fly with FBS personnel that are both bigger and faster.

Reaction Score
That dumb gimmick and recruiting tweens killed us. It was concept that doesn’t fly with FBS personnel that are both bigger and faster.
FWIW, I believe Iowa St runs a 3-3-5. It works well when you have a great Nose Tackle and ends, with solid Linebackers and a hybrid LB who is mainly a DB, but only way it truly works is having a workhorse safety that can play both the pass and the run and with dbs that know their assignments. It is a difficult scheme to master when you don't have the players who know what to do/know their assignments pre-snap.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom