The WNBA Rumbles At Caitlin And Paige (merged thread) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The WNBA Rumbles At Caitlin And Paige (merged thread)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I do think there is some wiggle room on this issue. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

BTW: While the baseball example is always cited that the player can go pro right after high school or he must stay in college for three years...I do not think that is true. Going to college has nothing to do with it....I think. If a grad decides not to go pro and enters college and after one year...or one semester...decides that it just isn't for him...for whatever reasons [disinterest in academics, lack of ability in academics, personal/family reasons] I believe he still is not eligible to be drafted until 3 years from high school.

Going to college for 3 years makes him eligible...so does not going for 3 years. The WNBA...3 years rule...also has nothing to do with going to college for that period. Please correct me if I am in error.

Reaction Score
Good point, although the counter is that there are a lot of women playing virtually year round to make bank, vs men in the NBA that get time off. That's a significant factor.

Of course, that wouldn't be Paige. Her employer could do what D's employer did: pay her not to play in the WNBA. Wouldn't cost much at all!!

And Paige could make hundreds of thousands a year. Beginning this fall.

As Diana pointed out, she and the WNBA players believe that athletes should have that opportunity. Interesting that they simply felt overwhelmed by the number and importance of other issues that they didn't put forward early entrance during the negotiations.

Wonder if a Paige or Clark leaving for overseas would push the WNBA to reopen that issue before the next collective bargaining agreement comes up for negotiation.....?

Reaction Score
I do think there is some wiggle room on this issue. I'd love to hear some suggestions.

BTW: While the baseball example is always cited that the player can go pro right after high school or he must stay in college for three years...I do not think that is true. Going to college has nothing to do with it....I think. If a grad decides not to go pro and enters college and after one year...or one semester...decides that it just isn't for him...for whatever reasons [disinterest in academics, lack of ability in academics, personal/family reasons] I believe he still is not eligible to be drafted until 3 years from high school.

Going to college for 3 years makes him eligible...so does not going for 3 years. The WNBA...3 years rule...also has nothing to do with going to college for that period. Please correct me if I am in error.

I don't have the facts in front or me, but I seem to recall a lot of young men turning pro in the middle of their college years.

Reaction Score
Interesting question. One of the things I enjoy most about the women's game is you get to watch the star players (and their respective team itself) develop over the 3-4 years they are in the college game. Now with questions being raised like "why can't they have a choice like the men do to enter the draft earlier?" it could be only a matter of time when the draft rules for the WNBA become similar to those of the NBA.

Until there is "real money" involved I'm not sure why someone would jump early, and the likelyhood of that happening any time soon in the WNBA is remote. The women's college product has improved dramatically from where it was even a decade ago, however, the WNBA is a tough watch except for the very best teams (just look at the TV ratings and average game attendence for most teams). I'll admit to being spoiled by our favorite team and their great coaches and great kids they recruit. If making $ by playing professionally is the object they can do that now, if they don't mind playing internationally. A really bright kid that does well in school can earn more $ by entering a non-sport profession.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
I did try to poke around on google a bit to see what the baseball situation is. Not being Perry Mason I found the legalese a bit much but it does say that young men can be drafted right out of high school. It then goes on to say that he also can be drafted after he turns 21. Zero mention of going to college in that qualifier. Just keep breathing and you are eligible when you are 21.
I believe the WNBA rule is that you have to be 3 years out of high school...which realistically puts you right around 21.
NO mention of college.

Reaction Score
Not sure what they will do. I certainly enjoy the continuity of WCBB where we get to see players play for at least 3 years usually before becoming eligible.

Not sure I can recall a player leaving before their junior season was over. Did Cappie leave for Europe before the end of her junior year?

I believe she left to play in Europe, then returned to play in the WNBA for what would have been the summer after her senior year in college.

Reaction Score
This reminds me of the times I was involved in contract negotiations for High School Teachers union. The administration was always worried about starting salary. Never us. We were interested in providing for our members. Not someone who might become a member. My answer was you still have the option to start someone on what ever step you want. The bottom is not an issue. Same here. Why should the players care who gets to play and take their sports. If the league wants it changed that must come from them. Some kids (and parents) care about getting a college degree, some don't. The ones who care, stay. Some others who care will leave, play pro ball, and return after the career is ended to get the degree, The coach who is recruiting need to know the difference and account for it.

Reaction Score
It is Catch-22 in the WNBA. 12 teams looking for fans, yet there are too few teams to attract fans across the country, too many decent players with college fans to carry over to WNBA but with no where to go but overseas.

Reaction Score
The vast majority of our population couldn't care less about womens' sports once their kids and grandkids stop playing. No criticism of the participants, it's just a fact, and that fact is borne out in a review of PAID attendance for WNBA games and ratings.

Friends marvel at the fact we watch women's college basketball and say they can't because it's unwatchable. We feel the same way about both pro leagues for different reasons.

It'll be a long time before people here will pay ticket prices high enough to warrant bigger salaries in the WNBA so subsidies will continue in order for teams to survive. If "the league" doesn't keep them afloat we'll have congressional hearings about why women aren't being paid and treated the same and maybe they'll be included in the next stimulus package.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Paige is what the WNBA has prayed about. She’s the only one who could save their popularity. But Paige wants to be developed by the best coach ever so she ain’t going no where until she graduates.
But one does make a good- very good!- living playing in the overseas leagues. Anna just decided to go pro. What would Paige earn were she to play a couple of years in Europe? Seems as though a lot of European and Aussie players don't even bother with the WNBA.

What we have to remember is that Paige could very well go pro, right now..
toute de suite, immédiatement!

One of the Russian oligarchs or Chinese mega-cities could wave a million bucks a year in front of her nose...
What would her family say to that? Probably, sorry Geno.
"So long its been good to know yah" (Woody Guthrie)

The W may be on their knees but someday, some group of players is going to tell them to shove it, they're not going to play for coolie wages anymore (as compared to the gents).

They'll play in Europe or China, make the bucks and rest their bods, like the men do.

You can take the prestige and I'll tell you what to do with it.
It's inevitable...the W will turn into a double A minor league

Can't wait for it to happen...Where's Megan R when we need her?

Reaction Score
There is an extended article by ESPN that explores the pluses and minuses of accelerating eligibility for the draft for those like Oaige and Caitlin. Sue and DT chip in some thoughts. We get deep in the article before it is let out that the realistic time frame is 2026 when the collective bargaining agreement comes up for massaging. But it is a well done piece and I comment it to you.

An elephant in the room is the tight size of the WNBA rosters and the relatively small number of teams. Neither Sue or DT or Jewel Loyd mentioned the economic impact of this small WNBA taking players at an accelerated basis. And maybe the league would only take 1 or 2 fast trackers a year. Who represents the new entrants in that negotiation. Well, if NIL legislation comes storming in young athletes may make a ton of money staying right where they are. There is no direct comparison, but here is an interesting contrast: Seattle Storm Twitter followers 76.2k and Paige 800k.

The stated underlying premise is to have the choice: to turn pro early and put yourself in the market.

The WNBA market is small and the earning potential is miniscule compared to the NBA. They have to play overseas to make playing professionally worth a living. It is also a short career. So, to prepare for life after playing pro ball, do they finish college while on scholarship or after the retire from BB?

If they do leave and play in the WNBA still in their teens or barely out of it, will they be equipped to go overseas to play in countries like China, Turkey, Russia, etc? Or, would they be better equipped for this venture older and, hopefully, more mature after graduating from college? Of course, they can always postpone playing overseas after joining the WNBA but will they? And, there will only be a very, very small number of them to are good enough to declare early.

I have serious doubts that giving them the choice to leave college early, especially as teenagers like Paige and Caitlin, is a good for them on the whole. Foreclosing the option would seem better than seeing a young woman going out into a strange world unprepared for many things except playing basketball.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom