The View From Section 241 -- Temple | The Boneyard

The View From Section 241 -- Temple

Reaction Score
So a few thoughts from Saturday's win. First, credit to the players for not getting down on themselves and finding it in their hearts to gut out a win, on the road, while teammates were going down to illness and injury. It would have been very easy for the team to quit, especially given that the team did quit last year after the QB change. They did not. Second, what a throwback to Edsall v.1 that was. Struggle to move the ball offensively, get outgained 2 to 1 over 60 minutes, but win the redzone battles, win third downs and win turnovers (I know turnovers were 2 to 2, but even though that is a win for us the fact that our two takeaways got us 14 points it was a huge win) and come away with a victory that it doesn't appear would be easily replicated. Old Edsall in a nutshell. I wonder whether TD Husky was even happy with the victory, or preferred losing in games where we were moving the ball up and down the field all day. Finally, not to pour water all on the team's efforts, but I'm not sure how much Saturday's game really showed us. Yes, there is no question the D got stops, and got takeaways, but it still gave up over 500 yards and 24 points, and I do ask myself how much of that being an "improvement" was due to Temple not being able to make plays that were there, and how much of it was really we were much better. I think some of both. No question we made some plays, but I also think they easily could have had another 150 yards and 20 or so points if they executed better. Now, some of that is that Temple is not as good offensively as the last 4 teams we played, and some of that is that is that college players aren't supposed to take every opportunity and it looked like we were due for some balancing out because none of our last 4 opponents missed any. But am I convinced yet that our defense has moved from incredibly sucky to somewhere between sucks and below average? No, I'm not. I'm going to have to see it another time. Which would have been fine if our offense at the same time didn't seem to struggle for the first time since Shireffs got off the pine.

Offense, defense and specials? Let's start with specials. Generally was o.k. -- I don't think either side won the day -- but Tarbutt has to get past this mental crap about babying a short FG attempt. Soon. Or we have to use him for kickoffs, EPs and long FGs and find someone else (presumably the walk on Rishell) who can.

On defense, while Joseph has gotten a ton of praise on here the last few weeks, I've thought he deserved it against the run but that his inability to get drops has been part of the problem in the pass coverage. I thought he was getting back much deeper or Saturday. Also, I thought Diggs had not been near his level of last year since returning to the injury until Saturday, but he looked like a totally different player. Luke and Foley both had better games, and the constantly changing defensive secondary made it hard to even know who was in, and still looked sieve like at times, but at least every so often stood up and made a play and that made all the difference. Kudos to Swann, who had to step in unexpectedly, and Coyle, who instead of sulking when benched earlier kept at it.

On offense, they didn't look at all like how they've been looking, and we didn't move the ball a whole lot, but when they got inside the red zone they kept coming away with 7 and on this day that was enough. Will it be enough going forward? Frankly, I doubt it but we'll see. Kudos to the rebuilt OL, which if they couldn't move Temple's front 7 at least held up in pass protection for the most part. With three underclassmen starting and Crozier back next year as well, we are putting ourselves in a position that, we can get QB play as good as what we're getting this year, we will be good offensively. Is the answer on our roster or do we need to look for a JUCO or Grad transfer? None of us know but the staff does.

So that's it. It was great to break all those losing streaks (actual, conference games and road games) but I'm not jumping on a short term bandwagon because of it. What I know is that we're 2-4 and have both a winnable game on Saturday and a game that, if we're going to have any chance whatsoever of getting to 6-6 this year, we absolutely have to have. So it's time to start planning the tailgate, hoping it's a decent weather day and get ready to yell. And then we'll see if holding a team to 24 points is repeatable.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Note to moderators -- I swear I typed Temple as the title to the thread. Could someone please change it. Thanks.
Lol. I looked at the title and thought WTF BL?

You can change it yourself. I think the drop down is entitled edit thread or something similar.

Reaction Score
Yep, Temple didn't make plays. They must of had half a dozen drops. One in the end zone. But we were definitely closer than usual and had quite a few pass defended. And we did buzz the pocket more often than usual.
I thought Carrezola had a good day and a huge fourth quarter. He made play after play especially on the goal line stand.

On offense two plays really slowed us down. The Beals lost fumble was a huge momentum changer. And on another Beals bubble screen, we had a two men moving penalty bring back what would have been a first down. I watch that play numerous times but we appeared set to me. If we don't screw up both those plays, I think it give the offense a chance to get rolling.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of BL's points about the game, and although the stats were one sided, a win is a win, especially on the road and you were the underdog.

Here are a couple of additional observations. I don't think Geoff Collins coached a good game for Temple and I don't think he is as good as a coach as Ruhle. Time will tell. Marchi is no PJ Walker and he was not one of the best QBs UConn has faced so far this season. Temple's play calling and QB play helped our defense.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Prior to Temple, Sirk and Ferguson made passes that are above college QB level and their receivers made great catches too. Against, SMU- they have 2 really good receivers but we melted in the 4th qtr. Against Temple, Marchi played like a normal college QB and their receivers were meh and dropped some balls. So, yes, the law of averages helped the D. That said, it competed much better - Foley and Luke had their best games and that made a big difference. Still a long way to go defensively, but Rome was not built in a day.

Special teams - Tarbutt, as RE says, has an issue between the ears. Graham showed me something hen he mishit his first 2 punts of the 4 th qtr but came back with a 51 yarder later in the qtr. In a game of big plays, that one goes under the radar as it shifted field position away from Temple.

The O was great in the red zone. Temple has a big strong physical defense. Our O line is not as physically mature as it will be down the road. That being said, the red zone O was huge. The other key set up of the game was Shireffs handing off on the option instead of taking off and running. Newsome and Mensah got blasted a bunch of times. But....That set up the huge carry by Shireffslate in the 4th qtr. Great game planning by Lashlee and execution by Shireffs.

Look, Temple is not good this year. But a road win against a proud program that has owned us, I'll take in a heart beat. Progression- that is what we all want this year. This game will be a big boost moving forward.

Reaction Score
What's the story with Levenberry??

Hurt his knee before the season started. Won't play this year.

I assume that means his college career is over (because his first redshirt year was due to transfer, not injury) but I haven't seen anything confirming that yet.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
It's also somewhat refreshing to see another Head Coach besides Diaco totally mismanage the clock over the last couple of minutes. With the erratic time out calling, the types of plays that they ran, etc. etc., I could have sworn Diaco went to Temple.

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
Best quote:
Years from now freshman college students will write papers discussing the richness and depth of these two sentences.

James Joyce classes will be replaced by required reading of the collected works of "The View from Section 241"

scoobydoo

1977 & 1974 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
What a throwback to Edsall v.1 that was. Struggle to move the ball offensively, get outgained 2 to 1 over 60 minutes, but win the redzone battles, win third downs and win turnovers (I know turnovers were 2 to 2, but even though that is a win for us the fact that our two takeaways got us 14 points it was a huge win) and come away with a victory that it doesn't appear would be easily replicated. Old Edsall in a nutshell.

It was the kind of game that leaves the fan of the opposing team want to fire their coach.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
One thing on yardage. We must have had over 100 yards of benefit on penalties alone and tack on almost another hundred in returns from the two turnovers.

It’s hard for the offense to get yards that they are already given from penalties and turnovers.

C

Chief00

I agree with much of the write up. I did think the defense did two basic things differently. We effectively rushed 4 or more guys much of the game. So guys occasionally beat the single blocker where they could not break the double team blocks in the pure 3-3-5 schemes in prior games.
I thought the DBs actually attempted to contest passes and not play cushion and gently tackle after the reception. This led to some pass breakups and interceptions.
Overall I agree the verdict is still out on Crocker’s defense and I don’t think he initiated the changes. I also agree Temple damaged themselves throughout the game.

Reaction Score
So guys occasionally beat the single blocker where they could not break the double team blocks in the pure 3-3-5 schemes in prior games.

please Chief, explain to me what the "pure 3-3-5 scheme" is.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom