The UCONN Moment That I Will Never Forget | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The UCONN Moment That I Will Never Forget

Reaction Score
Late in Jefferson's last year she made a defensive play that sticks in my mind. An opponent was ahead of the pack with the ball and Jefferson ran her down as they passed the foul line. MJ leapt while doing a 180 and while still in the air blocked the shot attempt right back into the shooter's (who had to be at least 6"'s taller) face. Despite there being no body contact and MJ getting all ball the ref who was barely over the half court line called MJ for a foul. That's why the play never made a highlight tape.

One of the best defensive plays I ever witnessed.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Late in Jefferson's last year she made a defensive play that sticks in my mind. An opponent was ahead of the pack with the ball and Jefferson ran her down as they passed the foul line. MJ leapt while doing a 180 and while still in the air blocked the shot attempt right back into the shooter's (who had to be at least 6"'s taller) face. Despite there being no body contact and MJ getting all ball the ref who was barely over the half court line called MJ for a foul. That's why the play never made a highlight tape.

One of the best defensive plays I ever witnessed.

That's nothing. I once saw her 'defend' an opponent from getting the ball from a ref so she could inbound and restart play! :-D

Or it was something like that. Whatever it was, both Rebecca Lobo and I thought it was hilarious LOL

Reaction Score
All of these were wonderful. In many ways, the Pulido shot was meaningless, but in the system that is UConn WCBB, it was transcendent. There were plenty of others. There was a Maya steal that led to an amazing basket. Huge passing plays started by wonderful defense. So many jaw-droppers.

But I would suggest that a relatively meaningless game that UConn placed one Saturday at Villanova some time in the early 2000s. Possibly the year before they won the national championship in Philly. I can place it only because I was living in Philly at the time and took my daughter and persuaded some coworkers to attend as well. Anyway, this game was important not because UConn won. That was expected and they whipped Villanova. It was important to me because it was the first time I realized that a team that played Geno's style could, for brief periods of time, play perfect basketball.

In this game, there was a period of maybe 7 minutes in the second or third quarter, I forget which, when they could simply do nothing wrong. No matter what Villanova tried (and this was not a bad Villanova team, either ), UConn turned it into a basket. And not just a basket, but an elegant basket -- a superb passing play or a steal leading to a fast break basket, stuff like that. It went on and on, and Villanova could do absolutely nothing about it. I'm not sure many teams could have done anything about it, either.

Anyway, as I was trying to explain to my coworkers what was going on, I realized that they were approaching basketball perfection, which until then I had not thought possible. This was long before Geno ever said anything about trying to be perfect, so it was a real brainstorm for me. I started watching the games differently after that, looking for those brief stretches of perfection (I've seen a few others over the years) and like many other fans, not being happy with average plays or mistakes.

Reaction Score
That's nothing. I once saw her 'defend' an opponent from getting the ball from a ref so she could inbound and restart play! :-D

Or it was something like that. Whatever it was, both Rebecca Lobo and I thought it was hilarious LOL
I remember that and it was hilarious. Don't remember who it was against, but Moriah was assigned to face guard her opponent which she had been doing in her usual suffocating manner. It was the opponent's ball on their end of the court. Moriah's assignment was headed to the end line to inbound the ball and Moriah was face guarding her, preventing her from getting out of bounds to inbound the ball. It was just a couple of seconds, but everyone was amused, even the refs.

Reaction Score
I remember that and it was hilarious. Don't remember who it was against, but Moriah was assigned to face guard her opponent which she had been doing in her usual suffocating manner. It was the opponent's ball on their end of the court. Moriah's assignment was headed to the end line to inbound the ball and Moriah was face guarding her, preventing her from getting out of bounds to inbound the ball. It was just a couple of seconds, but everyone was amused, even the refs.

Mo was guarding K-Mac is the national championship

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Every season all the players giving up "themselves" for something bigger, selflessly doing anything that makes the team win!

And that selfless stuff has worked out well for a whole bunch of Huskies in the professional ranks.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Moriah was a human highlight reel. She made one steal against the sideline and, as she dove across the scorer's table, threw a behind-the-back pass to Stewie for a layup at the other end. She was angry that her teammate didn't dunk the ball.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
April 3, 2011

View attachment 25441

"I'm going to think more about the best player in the history of the Big East and maybe the best student-athlete in the history of college basketball. I'm not going to let her [Moore] be defined by what happened tonight."
I'd say that Maya recovered pretty well. 4 WNBA titles, 2 Chinese league, 1 Spanish league, 1 Euroleague, 1 World Cup, 2 Olympic golds.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
A few gems from Moriah:

The length of the court dash against South Carolina, passing 9 players on the way.

Her stutter step fake-out of Roy in the South Carolina game.

Defending 6'4" Kelsey Lang in the Bridgeport Regionals on a switch. The Texas player saw the mismatch and threw a lob pass intended for Lang. Mo went vertical and snatched it.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Pulido sinking the three at the end of her last game, the championship game against Syracuse. That young woman has what it takes to get through med school, and she'll make a great doctor.

Reaction Score
OT, But you just reminded me: Does anybody know if Pulido is in med school somewhere?

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
All of the above are good, as is the three that D hit against Tennessee to tie the game at the buzzer. (The same game in which she hit the 75-footer. ) But for me, the most memorable moment was when Shea suffered her final acl tear. A terrible moment, but unforgettable.
on edit; I had not seen Milford's post when I posted this. Same incident.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I had flown in from Istanbul on other business, and JS and Wonkster took me to the game. I was sick as the proverbial dog, sore throat, fever, the whole bit, but felt MUCH better after the game!!!!

(Incidentally, one of D's greatest comments. When asked if she practiced shooting from that spot, she said; "Well, yes, but generally at the other basket". And the 3 that tied the game was, for me, a greater shot.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I had flown in from Istanbul on other business, and JS and Wonkster took me to the game. I was sick as the proverbial dog, sore throat, fever, the whole bit, but felt MUCH better after the game!!!!
Speaking of Wonkster, has anyone heard from him? I sent him an email in the spring, but didn’t get a reply. I know he had an ongoing medical issue, but it wasn’t critical.

Reaction Score
Pulido sinking the three at the end of her last game, the championship game against Syracuse. That young woman has what it takes to get through med school, and she'll make a great doctor.
Wasn't a three. It was a 10 foot jumper for 2.

Reaction Score
My favorite moment was a play in the 2000 championship game. An extra pass for an easy lay-up on a fast break. It was poetry as much as athletics. I became a fan-for-life watching that game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom