The UCONN Moment That I Will Never Forget | The Boneyard

The UCONN Moment That I Will Never Forget

Reaction Score
I have been a UCONN fan for the past five years. Before that I had no knowledge of Geno or the UCONN Woman's basketball team. Never heard or read of either one. Basketball was not exactly my favorite sport – and that applies to the men's game. I knew nothing about woman's college basketball. Well, without boring you with the details, I am now a true die-hard UCONN woman's basketball fan.

All I can comment on, as far as the UCONN Womans's team is concerned, is the past five years. I have watched or followed every game they played. I have watch many videos of past teams, but really had no knowledge of the previous great players who have come through UCONN.

I am sure everyone has a special UCONN moment that they will never forget. Like the upset last year with that fantastic game winning shot that stunned the sports world and I. My special moment, that is firmly burnt into the folds of my mind – a moment that to me, a rather STOIC individual, made me very emotional was watching Bernna Stewart, with tears in her eyes, saying that she did not deserve the Most Valuable Player award, but rather Moria Jefferson was the real MVP, of that championship game. That was a true statement. It takes a truly remarkable individual to say something like that. I assume it has happened in the past, but, I never, in my lifetime, saw a person say the award they just received really belongs to another individual.

Breanna Steward, who has NO EGOTISM, is the embodiment of CLASS, INTELLIGENCE, and what it means to be a true TEAM PLAYER for the greatest basketball team on this earth

Reaction Score
While not on the same level as the 1995 championship,there are a lot of smaller moments that are unforgettable,such as the Gardler hair-do shot,Pulido's corner shot in the tourney,D's 75 footer,or her need to punch something orange.The call me sign to the Duke fans was also one to remember.These are the kinds of things that only happen once.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
While not on the same level as the 1995 championship,there are a lot of smaller moments that are unforgettable,such as the Gardler hair-do shot,Pulido's corner shot in the tourney,D's 75 footer,or her need to punch something orange.The call me sign to the Duke fans was also one to remember.These are the kinds of things that only happen once.

Do you (or anyone else here) recall exactly which year that was when D made her famous orange punch?

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I've long admired UConn from afar, but only have seen them play in person once. Very early in the '00-'01 season they ventured to Seattle to help the other Huskies re-open their newly refurbished arena. UConn was of course coming off a Championship and had a stacked roster, which included a freshman from California w/ the initials DT. Predictably the game was a blowout almost from the beginning. DT didn't start but she got plenty of PT. That was a different era, there wasn't nearly as much hype about recruits, so I didn't really know much about her heading into the game. After the game though I thought "this kid is worth keeping an eye on, she seems to be pretty talented." Turned out to be some truth to my hunch. Anyway I was completely impressed by everything about UConn that game. In my memory I thought it was the first game of DT's career, but apparently it was the 3rd game that season. Close enough.

And UW wasn't a bunch of slouches. They tied for the Pac 10 title that year and advanced to the Elite 8.

Here's a little write up on the game.

No. 1 Huskies Coast Past Washington, 100-54

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
DT's behind the back overhead pass to a certain Alaskan who missed the lay up. No, seriously, they've provided me too many moments to single one out. I will say that my favorite plays tend to be ball movement plays that leave us all stunned and the other team deflated.

Reaction Score
I've been following them since the early 2000s, was only in middle school at the time. So they were good for pretty much my whole life. I have a few favorite moments. However, my all time favorite that comes to mind is the 2014 final four - I've been to plenty of games, but never to the final four until then. And that Pulido 3 was something special, let me tell you! Jumped and fell out of the seat into the row below me. But man, what an experience it was! The whole hotel was UCONN fans practically. Saw Maya at the airport going home. Got Sue's autograph. Saw Tamika Catchings. And had an enjoyable visit to Indianapolis. Maya is my favorite player, followed by Mel Thomas, but man that 2014 team was something special.

blaqtech

Longtime Louisville Lover
Reaction Score
Every loss to Stanford....and Miss. State.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
April 3, 2011

maya2011.jpg

"I'm going to think more about the best player in the history of the Big East and maybe the best student-athlete in the history of college basketball. I'm not going to let her [Moore] be defined by what happened tonight."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
One of the most exciting endings of any half of game I've ever seen at the Gampel:

Catchy title; you could maybe get a book outta that. BUT I'll go with Dr. Pulido @the Buzzer. Sue has had many memorable moments in the game; Polly not so many. The sheer joy of that late game shot, the last of her career, after 4 years relatively thankless years, and the reaction of the UConn bench will always have a special place in my heart. I still get goose bumps recalling it my mind's eye. Between the many and the few, the few may be the best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom