The three most likely realignment scenarios going forward (with my personal guesses for dominoes) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The three most likely realignment scenarios going forward (with my personal guesses for dominoes)

Reaction Score
In my opinion Virginia "wins" that spot. Large state flagship (Miami is a private University) better aligned with the majority of the league, strong academics (better than Miami's which are also strong); adds a new state market that is continuing to grow in population.

The a-tier of ACC schools is Clemson, Florida State, UNC and I think UVa is perceived on that level. Miami, NC State, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech are the next tier. Duke is kind of its own space and everyone else (Cuse, BC, Pitt, Louisville, Wake) has no hope of moving.
perceptions of ACC schools vary greatly. Georgia Tech and Duke are both AAU and even Georgia Tech has a $2 billion endowment. AAU used to be job 1 with the B1G, maybe it still is. FSU and Clemson are not AAU. Miami is viewed very high and very mediocre and I'm not sure it is all that anymore. I tend to put the AAU schools with the B1G and non-AAU with the SEC. Only the Gators in all of Florida are AAU so I think the B1G is out of luck in the sunshine state.

Reaction Score
In my opinion Virginia "wins" that spot. Large state flagship (Miami is a private University) better aligned with the majority of the league, strong academics (better than Miami's which are also strong); adds a new state market that is continuing to grow in population.

The a-tier of ACC schools is Clemson, Florida State, UNC and I think UVa is perceived on that level. Miami, NC State, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech are the next tier. Duke is kind of its own space and everyone else (Cuse, BC, Pitt, Louisville, Wake) has no hope of moving.
Yes, I agree with you about Miami. Their program has been in decline for a long time with their last national championship more than 20 years ago. They have lost 10 of their last 11 bowl games. The most recent Forbes list of most valuable college football programs doesn’t include them in the top 25 and doesn’t even mention them among several honorable mentions who didn’t make the list.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I personally believe that Florida St is in a precarious position here. They aren't close to the football profile that they had been; their academic profile isn't close to what the Big Ten would be looking for and the SEC would most likely view them as redundant to U Florida.

Granted, there is a strong chance that they will have time (I'm thinking a decade) to restore their football image but until they do, there could be half the ACC ahead of them.

Reaction Score
I personally believe that Florida St is in a precarious position here. They aren't close to the football profile that they had been; their academic profile isn't close to what the Big Ten would be looking for and the SEC would most likely view them as redundant to U Florida.

Granted, there is a strong chance that they will have time (I'm thinking a decade) to restore their football image but until they do, there could be half the ACC ahead of them.
I don’t know about that. It’s hard to be redundant in a state with a population of 22 million. And FSU is huge with an enrollment of more than 45,000 students.

As for their football profile, I agree that it needs work, but it is still ranked in the top 15 by Forbes in terms of financial value. And money is what this is all about. I also agree with you that they are not a candidate for the Big Ten but I expect that the SEC would see them as a valuable addition.

Reaction Score
We were never supposed to have a seat at the table. Calhoun and Geno made us a national brand through their greatness. But we’re very much new money. And this feels like an old money game. We had a small window and missed by an inch. Enjoy this while you can.

Reaction Score
Going Long, thinking big. How good could the ACC be not necessarily in terms of contract revenue but in product. A 20-ish program conference consisting of eastern time zone plus texas, kansas, oklahoma. ND could surprise everyone and commit to the status quo, or even join the ACC outright. What if the ACC added say 5-6 of these programs:

Cincy
Houston
Baylor
Texas Tech
Okie State
Kansas
WVU
UCONN
Temple
E
The ACC would outright own the east coast with only a slight overlap with SEC and B1G. No one is going to surpass the B1G and SEC wall and the fight right now is to survive. The ACC could put together a conference which would actually win rings in every sport every year and be far ahead of whatever the PAC becomes.
The 8 schools I'd like would be:
UConn
Temple
Cincy
(with BCU, Pitt and Fruit as the Northeast Division)

OK State
Baylor
Texas Tech
Houston
Kansas
as the Southwest Division.

Just a thought would be fun to play against the Fruit, BCU and Pitt again...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom