The three most likely realignment scenarios going forward (with my personal guesses for dominoes) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The three most likely realignment scenarios going forward (with my personal guesses for dominoes)

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If CFB really wanted to grow the sport to lift all boats, they would implement a promotion/relegation pyramid like European futbol. It would still be incredibly stacked in favor of the big clubs, but every program would have a pathway to the big-time.

Reaction Score
If CFB really wanted to grow the sport to lift all boats, they would implement a promotion/relegation pyramid like European futbol. It would still be incredibly stacked in favor of the big clubs, but every program would have a pathway to the big-time.
What makes you think this was ever about growing the sport? They don't care about that.

It's always been about money, they just don't try hide it anymore

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I could see leagues of "like culture schools"

Donald Fincher once tried to explain the southern football culture (and I think that includes both Texas and Oklahoma)..

"Much of this phenomenon has to do with regional pride. Whether you think it's good or bad, most of the South could all be one big state as far as cultural things go. There isn't that much difference between an Arkansas fan and a Georgia fan...and we all know it.​

College football is a religion in the South, and we all belong to the same denomination. We may have different church locations (Georgia, Alabama, LSU, etc.) but our denomination is SEC football."​

The Big Ten also has had a common culture that its fans can recognize....But now every conference's culture is supplanted by the arms race and adding programs that bring in the most money. What seems a good fit is not a good fit if the $$$ is not there.

And I don't think it's totally far-fetched to believe the luke warm reception big time college football faces in the mid-Atlantic is northeast is it would be a tacit endorsement of the south's embracement of college football.
From Virginia on north, Penn St is the only school that gets more than 40k on a regular basis.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I could see the UNC and Virginia, khaki's with a sweater vest crowd in the Big Ten....it is more difficult for me to wrap my mind around these guys hanging with the barbecue stained t shirt crowd of the SEC.

Duke, UNC, and Virginia generally look down their aristocratic noses at their less academically gifted and football oriented brethern.
Umm, that's not accurate at all. SEC football is a prep fest on gameday.

I think there is a pretty good split between the alumni, who would go more toward the preppy side, and the general fan of the university who goes more towards BBQ stained shirt.

Reaction Score
You have no idea what you're talking about and clearly haven't been to SEC games. It's a lot of girls in sun dresses and guys in khakis and pastels with their Chad haircuts.

I have been to more SEC games than I like to count...especially at Hogtown (Gainesville)...but also at LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, South Carolina....

I admit, when the USDOL gave me a paid vacation to take a management course for USDOL managers arranged ,at Mississippi State in 1978...I was impressed with how dressed the students were at the game I attended.

But Sam Cassell, playing for FSU, put the rap on UNC that has stood for 20 years..."a wine and cheese crowd".

Reaction Score
I've probably read 50 articles in the last week re Realignment on ESPN, the Athletic, and Fox Sports. Not once, anywhere, have I seen UConn mentioned. That's the fact, jack.
I hope Benedict is on the phone reminding people we are still here.

Reaction Score
I hope Benedict is on the phone reminding people we are still here.
UConn is not going to the SEC or the B1G so really not much to do other the wait for the ACC to get picked apart and hope we provide some value to a league of teams who were left behind. I think we will have a shot at being considered for something like that. Although I believe the ACC will backfill with WVU, Kansas, and South Florida first. We will be in the mix if the ACC needs a fourth team.

Reaction Score
I've probably read 50 articles in the last week re Realignment on ESPN, the Athletic, and Fox Sports. Not once, anywhere, have I seen UConn mentioned. That's the fact, jack.

We may have a shot if ND joins the B1G and the SEC makes a move on some combination of Miami, Clemson and FSU. Also WVU stays where they are.

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to the SEC or the B1G so really not much to do other the wait for the ACC to get picked apart and hope we provide some value to a league of teams who were left behind. I think we will have a shot at being considered for something like that. Although I believe the ACC will backfill with WVU, Kansas, and South Florida first. We will be in the mix if the ACC needs a fourth team.
If the PAC12 and B12 merge, hopefully Kansas and WVU will stay put.

Reaction Score
UConn is not going to the SEC or the B1G so really not much to do other the wait for the ACC to get picked apart and hope we provide some value to a league of teams who were left behind. I think we will have a shot at being considered for something like that. Although I believe the ACC will backfill with WVU, Kansas, and South Florida first. We will be in the mix if

I believe despite UConn recent football history Olympic sports (m/w basketball, baseball, field hockey, etc) will give UConn the edge over USF. UConn’s New York exposure is light years above the combined exposure of WVU, Kansas and USF.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Reach out to the big 10 and tell them that we respect their academic tradition so we will take a 1/3 chair until such time as we are AAU. It allows them to become a true coast to coast conference (do you count Rutgers, because I don’t Rutgers), allows them to continue to pretend that academics matter, and allows them to pick us up on the cheap and pretend it was a move based upon us improving our research status. We grab a chair before they’re all gone. It puts pressure on Notre Dame to let them know that their open slot won’t remain there forever. Literally everyone wins here.

Reaction Score
A friend of mine mentioned this in a drunken stupor today at a July 4 party. I, also in a drunken stupor, thought it was a good idea. While football drives the bus, though, it doesn’t that much. “Hey, your football team sucked so you basketball team has to play a division down next year?” I don’t think that will fly. From a purely football perspective I think it would be great, though.

Reaction Score
Reach out to the big 10 and tell them that we respect their academic tradition so we will take a 1/3 chair until such time as we are AAU. It allows them to become a true coast to coast conference (do you count Rutgers, because I don’t Rutgers), allows them to continue to pretend that academics matter, and allows them to pick us up on the cheap and pretend it was a move based upon us improving our research status. We grab a chair before they’re all gone. It puts pressure on Notre Dame to let them know that their open slot won’t remain there forever. Literally everyone wins here.
Longshot but possible

Reaction Score
There will be two conferences of 24 teams. How it gets there from now to then is beyond me.
I agree. 24 is right on target as the goal.

I think they’re looking at 4 six-team divisions. Add Washington, Oregon, Cal, And Stanford out West for one division.

Add Virginia, North Carolina, and Georgia Tech to Penn State, Maryland, and Rutgers for an Eastern division.

I think that Notre Dame is the one they want to add to the Midwest. I’m guessing that this is the scenario that forces ND’s hand. The money gap is simply to great. I don’t think that NBC can match the payout that ND will get from the B1G. In addition, the national championship will probably be a matchup between the B1G and SEC champions. ND can’t leave themselves out of NC consideration.

That will gave them 12 members in the Midwest to divide into two 6-team divisions however they want. If ND says no, Pitt is probably the backup choice

Reaction Score
# 4, i.e., no clue what the end result(s) may be, but quite confident it(they) will be something different than option 1, 2, or 3.

Reaction Score
Going Long, thinking big. How good could the ACC be not necessarily in terms of contract revenue but in product. A 20-ish program conference consisting of eastern time zone plus texas, kansas, oklahoma. ND could surprise everyone and commit to the status quo, or even join the ACC outright. What if the ACC added say 5-6 of these programs:

Cincy
Houston
Baylor
Texas Tech
Okie State
Kansas
WVU
UCONN
Temple

The ACC would outright own the east coast with only a slight overlap with SEC and B1G. No one is going to surpass the B1G and SEC wall and the fight right now is to survive. The ACC could put together a conference which would actually win rings in every sport every year and be far ahead of whatever the PAC becomes.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
While I agree with this, would ESPN make it more difficult to move? I think those 3 along with GT would fit very well academically and athletically. GT has a relationship with ND, which we know is the Big10’s white whale.

The biggest question after what ND decides is what do the ACC schools do? If UNC and UVA eventually go to the Big10 and they stop at 24, does the SEC follow suit? Are there 8 teams that make sense for them to go to 24? I can see 20 easily (FSU, Clemson, Miami and VPI). Where would the other schools come from? Pitt? Kansas for basketball? I don’t see 4 more schools that make sense.
I see the BIG getting to 24 with ND, Stanford, Oregon, UW, UNC, UVA, Miami and Kansas

I see the SEC getting to 24 with FSU, NC State, VT, Clemson, Arizona, ASU, Colorado and WVU / Ok State

This won’t happen immediately and there are teams that can shuffle their ways in to this discussion over the next decade, but I think it’s the direction it’s going.

24 teams per conference only works with a clean break from the NCAA or current FBS structure - they can make the money work with a more “professionalized” schedule & playoff structure.

Unless they are willing to give some teams the boot then they stick to 20. In that case each league still adds 6-8 teams and gets rid of a few each.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I see the BIG getting to 24 with ND, Stanford, Oregon, UW, UNC, UVA, Miami and Kansas

I see the SEC getting to 24 with FSU, NC State, VT, Clemson, Arizona, ASU, Colorado and WVU / Ok State

This won’t happen immediately and there are teams that can shuffle their ways in to this discussion over the next decade, but I think it’s the direction it’s going.

24 teams per conference only works with a clean break from the NCAA or current FBS structure - they can make the money work with a more “professionalized” schedule & playoff structure.

Unless they are willing to give some teams the boot then they stick to 20. In that case each league still adds 6-8 teams and gets rid of a few each.

I think 24 is the number as well, but I think it will happen faster, starting in the Fall of 2026. That’s when the new playoff contract will need to be signed. The current one is up in the 2025/2026 athletic year. It also gives more time to the ACC schools to whittle away the payout for the GOR. Also, the Big10 wants to make sure the additions go smoothly and will take their time. The PSU integration was a disaster, but the others went well. Adding the schools slowly gives each time to adjust before new schools are added.

Here’s my totally unfounded, totally wrong Yooper brain prediction:

Big 10 Current teams (16): Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, OSU, Mich, MSU, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, NW, Wisky, Minny, Iowa, Nebraska, USC, UCLA.

New additions: ND, UNC, UVA, GT, Stanford, Oregon, Washington and Miami

Non football members: Duke, Cal, Kansas

SEC current teams (16): TAMU, UT, Oklahoma, Ark, Mizzou, LSU, Ole’ Miss, Miss St, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ala, Aub, UGA, UF, Vandy, S. Carolina

New Teams: FSU, Clemson, NCST, VPI, Cinci, Pitt, Colorado, Arizona/ASU

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think 24 is the number as well, but I think it will happen faster, starting in the Fall of 2026. That’s when the new playoff contract will need to be signed. The current one is up in the 2025/2026 athletic year. It also gives more time to the ACC schools to whittle away the payout for the GOR. Also, the Big10 wants to make sure the additions go smoothly and will take their time. The PSU integration was a disaster, but the others went well. Adding the schools slowly gives each time to adjust before new schools are added.

Here’s my totally unfounded, totally wrong Yooper brain prediction:

Big 10 Current teams (16): Rutgers, Maryland, PSU, OSU, Mich, MSU, Indiana, Purdue, Illinois, NW, Wisky, Minny, Iowa, Nebraska, USC, UCLA.

New additions: ND, UNC, UVA, GT, Stanford, Oregon, Washington and Miami

Non football members: Duke, Cal, Kansas

SEC current teams (16): TAMU, UT, Oklahoma, Ark, Mizzou, LSU, Ole’ Miss, Miss St, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ala, Aub, UGA, UF, Vandy, S. Carolina

New Teams: FSU, Clemson, NCST, VPI, Cinci, Pitt, Colorado, Arizona/ASU
This exercise is why I think the SEC and B1G go to 20 teams max.

Duke, Cal, and Kansas aren't happening.

Cincy, Pitt, Colorado, Arizona, NC State, VaTech, GTech are long shots. The likely last spot will be between Miami and Virginia.

Reaction Score
The likely last spot will be between Miami and Virginia.
In my opinion Virginia "wins" that spot. Large state flagship (Miami is a private University) better aligned with the majority of the league, strong academics (better than Miami's which are also strong); adds a new state market that is continuing to grow in population.

The a-tier of ACC schools is Clemson, Florida State, UNC and I think UVa is perceived on that level. Miami, NC State, Virginia Tech and Georgia Tech are the next tier. Duke is kind of its own space and everyone else (Cuse, BC, Pitt, Louisville, Wake) has no hope of moving.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom