The Texas and Oklahoma move | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Texas and Oklahoma move

Reaction Score
Just to be clear, you’re advocating that teams should leave a conf that is actually playing games for one that is not?

I'm not advocating for the PAC, just looking ahead and noting the possibility 4-5 years down the road when TV contracts turn over. The PAC has shown eastward interests and specifically has looked at Texas and OK.

Not playing games this season during a pandemic is hopefully well in our rear view mirror by then and certainly not a factor in 2025 CR.

IF that happens, the contingency options for Kansas should already be partially developed.

What I am advocating is informal talks between the Big East and Kansas.

Nova played Kansas 4 of the last 5 years. Maybe the talks start with Jay and Bill.

Reaction Score
This may help for the geographically challenged:

7QbtJka.png

Time zones in red!

"Every road trip for every team crosses 2 time zones". Obviously false, must have sourced from CNN.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Thanks for setting me straight and ignoring the actual issue. Again.

Reaction Score
If Texas and OU to the PAC 12 happened that’s what’s wrong with college sports now. They are both making good money and have a great situation. One of my favorite parts of the old Big East was not only going to home games but being able to go to most of the away games too. Texas and OU trip to WVU is the only one not drivable In the Big 12. Besides the Red River Shootout none of their road games will be drivable.

Reaction Score
Oh come on. Contiguous via the smallest sliver of the panhandle of Oklahoma. 350M west of Norman.

Of course, no comment on the actually important items, because it would derail your lunacy.
What were your “important items”?

Reaction Score
Yes.

“The Big12 then moves to recover and actually goes to 12 members raiding the AAC: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, OK State, TCU, Texas Tech, and WVU add UCF, USF, Houston, Cincinnati, and Memphis.”

BYU is an option, but I think the Florida footprint is more desired than Utah.
BYU Boise is a no brainer.

Reaction Score
While OU is clearly the "big brother", it won't be going anywhere without Oklahoma State. Those two are analogous to Arizona/ASU, Oregon/OSU, Washington/WSU. Political considerations will preclude a family split.
What is your current opinion?

Reaction Score
I'm not advocating for the PAC, just looking ahead and noting the possibility 4-5 years down the road when TV contracts turn over. The PAC has shown eastward interests and specifically has looked at Texas and OK.

Not playing games this season during a pandemic is hopefully well in our rear view mirror by then and certainly not a factor in 2025 CR.

IF that happens, the contingency options for Kansas should already be partially developed.

What I am advocating is informal talks between the Big East and Kansas.

Nova played Kansas 4 of the last 5 years. Maybe the talks start with Jay and Bill.
What are the chances that the Big East and Kansas did have those preliminary discussions?

We should be going after Kansas.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What are the chances that the Big East and Kansas did have those preliminary discussions?

We should be going after Kansas.
Their board is the Phog. Go do what you do Z.

Reaction Score
The possible catalyst for the next major CR might be in the hands of the Longhorns and Sooners.

The Big12 rights value would decrease considerably and the Big12 would scramble to stay a lesser P5.

UConn was the obvious Big East target getting the conference to 11 members. The only other target that would make sense for going to 12 members and a bloated 22 game conference schedule is Kansas. Adding Kansas on the western door with Creighton would be a coup for the conference and for FOX, assuming we extend with our TV partner. The Big East would have 3 legit Blue Blood programs - Kansas, UConn, and Nova.

If Texas and OK move it would be the time to appeal to Kansas to make a basketball-first move. Fox would need to provide the incentive for the move - a Notre Dame / NBC type Indy football TV deal in addition to the Big East contract. Fox would be overpaying for the football, but cherry picking Kansas without over paying for other programs in a watered down football conference. In this arrangement the Big East programs might not see the full increased value of Kansas, as some of that would be baked into their football TV deal, but maintaining and extending our current Big East TV deal would be good enough. We'll take a $5M per year per team deal plus the added benefits of Kansas on the schedule and in the conference.

The Big12 then moves to recover and actually goes to 12 members raiding the AAC: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, OK State, TCU, Texas Tech, and WVU add UCF, USF, Houston, Cincinnati, and Memphis. The Big12 adds the coveted Florida footprint and brings in Cincy and Memphis as more regional foes for WVU. The Big12 maintains P5 status with these adds but likely loses broadcast rights value.

The Big East and Fox should be talking to Kansas and discussing contingency possibilities should Texas and Oklahoma bolt.
I hope the Big East and Kansas have been building a relationship!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom