The Sun Belt is examining expansion. The league is considering adding up to four schools... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Sun Belt is examining expansion. The league is considering adding up to four schools...

Reaction Score
Old Dominion getting an invite anywhere has gotta rank up there as one of the most batXXit crazy things ever in FBS.

FB: 1 winning season since going FBS in 2014
MCBB: 1 NCAA bid in last 10 years (0-1)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I guess I am hung up.

They keep talking in the $500k range for the ESPN rights in the Sun Belt; and all that leverage. 5 (FIVE) schools are the beneficiaries of the Exit Fees. $36m. Divided by 5. What am I missing?

At that largesse, you can throw cash at some of the newby targets. Both Sunbelt and CUSA are what we think they are: Training ground for the next realignment; platform for start-ups in top markets (UTSA, Charlotte, Georgia State); a fun Saturday throwaround.

Of course, UCONN got a whole pile of exit fees back in the day - none of it seemed to come to me.

Reaction Score
I guess I am hung up.

They keep talking in the $500k range for the ESPN rights in the Sun Belt; and all that leverage. 5 (FIVE) schools are the beneficiaries of the Exit Fees. $36m. Divided by 5. What am I missing?

At that largesse, you can throw cash at some of the newby targets. Both Sunbelt and CUSA are what we think they are: Training ground for the next realignment; platform for start-ups in top markets (UTSA, Charlotte, Georgia State); a fun Saturday throwaround.

Of course, UCONN got a whole pile of exit fees back in the day - none of it seemed to come to me.
Where are you getting 36M for the C-USA exit fees? Everything I've read said 3M per member. 12 members aren't leaving.

Reaction Score
This is how G5/G6 leagues should be. All schools in a geographical area, within drivable distance.
That map is somewhat misleading as you need to add Marshall and Old Dominion. Old Dominion is 1600 miles from Texas St. For Marshall, Appalachian State is the nearest school which is about 270 miles and the next closest school is almost 500 miles away. This is a far flung conference although some schools do have some driveable games.

Reaction Score
I love the Sun Belt.

I think Southern Miss and Marshall, especially, can be really great in it. Perhaps JMU too. We shall see about ODU, that seems to be more of a recruiting territory play

Reaction Score
That looks like a reasonable football conference to me. All they need is a Florida school.

Reaction Score
I love the Sun Belt.

I think Southern Miss and Marshall, especially, can be really great in it. Perhaps JMU too. We shall see about ODU, that seems to be more of a recruiting territory play
I agree. It's a better version of the MAC where the geography makes sense but the Football is better.

Reaction Score
I agree. It's a better version of the MAC where the geography makes sense but the Football is better.

It’s also generally not played on Wednesday nights and there are fun rivalries!

Reaction Score
That Sun Belt graphic looks contiguous...but it is still over 1200 miles from Appalachian State to Texas State and 1000 miles to UTA...

...and Old Dominion is 1546 miles from UTA and 1169 miles from Lafayette and 1000 miles from the Arkansas schools.

The western outliers in Arkansas and Texas and the eastern outliers in Virginia and North Carolina have long distances between them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom