The Season Thus Far | The Boneyard

The Season Thus Far

Reaction Score
To say that the UConn women have faced difficult and rocky times is surely an understatement. Some half a dozen games have been canceled or postponed, including the canceling of match ups against national powers Mississippi State, Louisville, and Baylor. Thus far the team has played just nine games with two large gaps between them. It is extremely difficult for a team to get into a rhythm under these circumstances.

With those suiting up in 2020-21 being granted an extra year of eligibility (a move I initially opposed but now support because of all the disruptions of the season), it is interesting to think about what effects this might have. One positive already is that Saylor Poffenbarger is in Storrs and may be playing in a few games toward the end of the season. If nothing else, she will be better prepared to take the court next fall. A second positive concerns Piath Gabriel, a raw talent. A fifth year of eligibility should do wonders and she could well be an outstanding player in another four years, if not much sooner.

Aside from the game against DePaul, the match against Tennessee last night represented the only other game against a top 25 team and the first with real height and length. As could be seen, this caused the Huskies a lot of problems and too many ill considered 3-pointers. If the Lady Vols are a good measure, a Final Four may be a stretch.

With regard to the existing team -

Paige Bueckers has lived up to and exceeded expectations, but she struggled mightily against the big and quick Lady Vols, sometimes looked uncomfortable on the floor, but no one can question her toughness and she hit the crucial shot of the game on a gimpy leg. She is the best player on the best team in the Big East. She will be on the all-conference first team and probably should player of the year and perhaps an All-American. Only one other person in the storied history of UConn has been as good in her first season and that player is, of course, Maya Moore.

Assuming Bueckers in POY, then Aaliyah Edwards may well garner freshman of the year honors. She has also been as good, if not better, than expected.

As of this juncture, I do not think either Christyn Williams or Olivia Nelson-Oboba as All-Americans unless they play much better from now on. ONO has a better chance than Williams and has raised her game more, but I do not see the UConn center as one of the top three in the nation. She did not hold up well against Tennessee. Williams is too inconsistent, although she played at All-American standards against Tennessee. Evina Westbrook is getting the rust out of her system as the season has progressed and she may well decide to turn pro if she anticipates being a high draft choice.

Aubrey Griffin appears to have made a major leap from freshman to sophomore if her play in the last three games is any indication.

The verdict is still out on the rest of the team, although Makurat, Muhl, and McLean have all had good (and not so good) moments. Gabriel has the potential in a year or so of being a significant factor on the team and Autumn is the best walk-on the Huskies have had in some time as she is not afraid to shoot.

Reaction Score
(1) To say that the UConn women have faced difficult and rocky times is surely an understatement. Some half a dozen games have been canceled or postponed, including the canceling of match ups against national powers Mississippi State, Louisville, and Baylor. Thus far the team has played just nine games with two large gaps between them. It is extremely difficult for a team to get into a rhythm under these circumstances.

(2) A second positive concerns Piath Gabriel, a raw talent. A fifth year of eligibility should do wonders and she could well be an outstanding player in another four years, if not much sooner.

(3) As could be seen, this caused the Huskies a lot of problems and too many ill considered 3-pointers. If the Lady Vols are a good measure, a Final Four may be a stretch.

With regard to the existing team -

(4) As of this juncture, I do not think either Christyn Williams or Olivia Nelson-Oboba as All-Americans unless they play much better from now on. ONO has a better chance than Williams and has raised her game more, but I do not see the UConn center as one of the top three in the nation. She did not hold up well against Tennessee. Williams is too inconsistent, although she played at All-American standards against Tennessee. Evina Westbrook is getting the rust out of her system as the season has progressed and she may well decide to turn pro if she anticipates being a high draft choice.
1--- I agree everything you're saying about rhythm.

2-- I don't know what you mean by "outstanding" in terms of Piath. I don't believe she'll ever be "outstanding" in my definition. Therefore, I think your definition is too loose while imo you are much more rough with CWill and Liv. While they might not be A/A's - are they considered "outstanding" in your pov?

3-- As you pointed out with number 1 above in terms of lack of team rhythm I think that that's exactly what we saw vs Tenn. It could be as you say a measure that FF may be a stretch. However the other way too in which they beat a pretty good team away from home, with a prior lack of team rhythm, in which their best player had an absolute awful shooting game, along with as you've acknowledged you think Liv better than CWill yte UCONN still won without two of it's top tier players not playng well.

4 In regards to CWill - she was an underclassman for these past two years. So ofc it's possible an underclassman can be inconsistent.

I'm thrilled with the win. OFC more thrilled if it was a complete blowout but this team just hasn't had enough games vs good competition. As you say might not be FF - on the flip[ side have the versatility to be the best team too. They just need games - and some have ot be against good competition.

Reaction Score
To follow up on my message of last week on the topic of The Season Thus Far. What does the team’s abysmal performance against a poor Georgetown team tell us?

Most importantly, UConn is unlikely to win big games against Arkansas or South Carolina, let alone advancing far in the NCAA tournament without both Paige Bueckers and Anna Makurat. There is no need to repeat what Paige brings to the table. All-American? The Shot against Tennessee on national TV gave her the exposure necessary. Assuming her turned ankle will be better by Thursday, the Huskies should be able to defeat Arkansas, but Anna is needed back asap. She seems to have lost confidence in her shooting and other members of the team have also because I have noticed numerous occasions when Anna was open in the corner and the ball never gets to her. She is not an offensive threat but her high basketball IQ and her passing ability are desperately needed, even if she rarely shoots.

As several others have pointed out Evina Westbrook is a gem and the true leader of the team. Her quiet confidence and level of play is the glue that holds the team together. I have been more and more impressed by her play has the season has progressed. Aubrey Griffin has experienced a sophomore jump and she will probably be starting at strong forward for the rest of the season.

As for juniors Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Odoba are concerned, my views are unchanged. Williams is too inconsistent. After an excellent game against Tennessee which featured a good deal of attacking the basket, she decided to settle for 3-pointers against Georgetown with minimal success. ONO is a better player today than she was a year ago and is a good center, but not an outstanding one. If she can hold her own against South Carolina’s Boston, then she will have turned a major corner. My concern is, however, that she will be overwhelmed.

Given where the team is now, it will need some important contributions from the other freshmen. Aaliyah Edwards has been good all season except for a poor performance against Georgetown in which it didn’t appear as if she knew what she was doing. Is this what is often referred to as the mid-season freshman wall or a one off? Arkansas will tell us. Nika Muhl has not played up to pre-season expectations of a player with international experience. She was slowed by injury earlier in the season, but that no longer seems a factor. Her first start against Georgetown proved to be a mixed bag with an unacceptable number of turnovers and the appearance of being gun shy when given the opportunity to shoot. At this stage of her career, she does remind one as several have pointed out as another Molly Bent, albeit one with better passing ability, and like Bent seeming to suffer from nerves. Muhl will be needed. Mir McLean has played only limited minutes, sometimes quite well, but more is needed.

The biggest question remaining, aside from that whether the team is Final Four caliber or not, is Saylor Poffenbarger. When will she be able to practice, what is her physical condition and basketball IQ, when will she get into her first game, and will she see any minutes aside from mop up time? The waiting for Saylor reminds me of the anticipation of UConn fans when the statuesque transfer Sarah Northway first became eligible after the first semester of the 1995-96 season. If my memory is at all accurate, her first game featured a first turnover and first foul and little else.

Reaction Score
Were your eyes closed when Nika hit two 3s? Must have been. She's much better than Molly who didn't have to deal with moving to another country, no normal preseason, no exhibition games, a pandemic that is ravaging the world, and missing her family in Croatia.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
To follow up on my message of last week on the topic of The Season Thus Far. What does the team’s abysmal performance against a poor Georgetown team tell us?

Most importantly, UConn is unlikely to win big games against Arkansas or South Carolina, let alone advancing far in the NCAA tournament without both Paige Bueckers and Anna Makurat. There is no need to repeat what Paige brings to the table. All-American? The Shot against Tennessee on national TV gave her the exposure necessary. Assuming her turned ankle will be better by Thursday, the Huskies should be able to defeat Arkansas, but Anna is needed back asap. She seems to have lost confidence in her shooting and other members of the team have also because I have noticed numerous occasions when Anna was open in the corner and the ball never gets to her. She is not an offensive threat but her high basketball IQ and her passing ability are desperately needed, even if she rarely shoots.

As several others have pointed out Evina Westbrook is a gem and the true leader of the team. Her quiet confidence and level of play is the glue that holds the team together. I have been more and more impressed by her play has the season has progressed. Aubrey Griffin has experienced a sophomore jump and she will probably be starting at strong forward for the rest of the season.

As for juniors Christyn Williams and Olivia Nelson-Odoba are concerned, my views are unchanged. Williams is too inconsistent. After an excellent game against Tennessee which featured a good deal of attacking the basket, she decided to settle for 3-pointers against Georgetown with minimal success. ONO is a better player today than she was a year ago and is a good center, but not an outstanding one. If she can hold her own against South Carolina’s Boston, then she will have turned a major corner. My concern is, however, that she will be overwhelmed.

Given where the team is now, it will need some important contributions from the other freshmen. Aaliyah Edwards has been good all season except for a poor performance against Georgetown in which it didn’t appear as if she knew what she was doing. Is this what is often referred to as the mid-season freshman wall or a one off? Arkansas will tell us. Nika Muhl has not played up to pre-season expectations of a player with international experience. She was slowed by injury earlier in the season, but that no longer seems a factor. Her first start against Georgetown proved to be a mixed bag with an unacceptable number of turnovers and the appearance of being gun shy when given the opportunity to shoot. At this stage of her career, she does remind one as several have pointed out as another Molly Bent, albeit one with better passing ability, and like Bent seeming to suffer from nerves. Muhl will be needed. Mir McLean has played only limited minutes, sometimes quite well, but more is needed.

The biggest question remaining, aside from that whether the team is Final Four caliber or not, is Saylor Poffenbarger. When will she be able to practice, what is her physical condition and basketball IQ, when will she get into her first game, and will she see any minutes aside from mop up time? The waiting for Saylor reminds me of the anticipation of UConn fans when the statuesque transfer Sarah Northway first became eligible after the first semester of the 1995-96 season. If my memory is at all accurate, her first game featured a first turnover and first foul and little else.
I said it before and I say it again, as good as Paige is—and she is tremendous—this team’s fate is in the hands of Anna. Many of us wondered why she seemed to be having an off year and we now know it was injury that was affecting her game. Geno knows that Anna is a major cog in driving his ball movement philosophy. Many in this forum love to trash or at least adversely criticize Anna and, sorry, I don’t mean to be overly critical, you speak total absolute nonsense. Ok, maybe I meant it.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I said it before and I say it again, as good as Paige is—and she is tremendous—this team’s fate is in the hands of Anna. Many of us wondered why she seemed to be having an off year and we now know it was injury that was affecting her game. Geno knows that Anna is a major cog in driving his ball movement philosophy. Many in this forum love to trash or at least adversely criticize Anna and, sorry, I don’t mean to be overly critical, you speak total absolute nonsense. Ok, maybe I meant it.
I've said it before and I say it again- I strongly disagree with you. The fate of this team would have to fall through many hands before it gets to Anna- and there is no disrespect in that statement. Paige-Evina-ONO-CW-Aubrey then Anna.

Reaction Score
Lol........
stupid homer simpson GIF

Reaction Score
This is my third epistle on “the season thus far” posted on a snowy Monday and after the loss to Arkansas on Thursday and yesterday’s trouncing of DePaul.

Despite good games from Bueckers, Westbrook, and Muhl, the team showed that it couldn’t guard a chair, let alone Destiny Slocum. When your opponent is 13-23 from the 3-point line and can drive the basket at will, a loss cannot be unexpected. Not to mention ONO being a non-factor and the inconsistency of Christyn Williams - poor shooting (0-5 from 3-point range), poor decision making, and lack of defense. Williams played much better against DePaul in part because she was not launching so many 3s. It was her best game of the season.

Evina Westbrook continues to provide both scoring and steady leadership and Muhl is proving that she deserves the minutes she is getting. The lid is no longer on the basket. Griffin is more consistent, Edwards continues to impress with her ability to foul, and McLean is often productive in the minutes she plays.

With regard to Paige Bueckers, UConn fans can look forward to her superb play for another three and one half seasons. She is already a dominant player in the mold of Taurasi, Moore, and Stewart. Big East Player of the Year and All-American. Bueckers and Westbrook first team all Big East. Whether or not the two can lead the team to another Final Four depends on what the other players can bring to the floor. If Williams and Olivia Nelson-Odoba continue to underperform in big games, then the Huskies are likely to fall short.

Was happy to see Poffenbarger on the floor and being more than willing to shoot. She does not suffer from a pass first mentality. It will be interesting to see what she can bring to the table once she gets into game shape.

CocoHusky raised the question a few days ago about upperclass players who have started regularly going to the bench. This is not something Geno likes to do, but in 1999-2000 seniors Paige Sauer and Stacy Hansmeyer played less and less as the season progressed and often did not start.

I would like to see Geno put Piath Gabriel in the game earlier and more often. From what little I have seen, she has talent - she is big, strong, and moves well. I wish that he would play her like Jim Calhoun did with freshman Toraino Walker in the Dream Season of 1989-90, my favorite UConn year except for 1994-95. He put Walker in for several minutes each game and I remember thinking why is he doing so because he was not productive. But lo and behold, at tournament time, Walker was a significant factor in the team’s success.

The biggest hurdle remaining is, as every knows, South Carolina and am concerned about ONO’s ability to stand her ground and be useful against one of the two or three best centers in the country. If the Huskies cannot hold their own on the boards, they will probably not win and drop to a 2 seed in the NCAA tournament.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom