Bill Parcells
Bill Belichick (for 3 minutes)
Al Groh
Herm Edwards
Eric Mangini
Rex Ryan
Todd Bowles
Adam Gase

Is Robert Saleh my savior? Or the next in that line of decades in mediocrity and failure?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I am hopeful. Especially after hearing he brought LaFleur with him. I feel with Saleh the opposite of what I felt when they hired Gase.

Big question of course...Darnold or draft a QB? Douglas seems very salary cap focused and drafting a QB would be beneficial financially.

Reaction Score
I am hopeful. Especially after hearing he brought LaFleur with him. I feel with Saleh the opposite of what I felt when they hired Gase.

Big question of course...Darnold or draft a QB? Douglas seems very salary cap focused and drafting a QB would be beneficial financially.
I think if you pick the right QB you can win relatively quickly. Herbert, Murray, Lamar Jackson, Mayfield. When you think a) sign Darnold to a bigger deal and hope he's your franchise guy in 3 years.....or b) draft Fields/Wilson and hope they're further along in 3 years and much cheaper? I think in option b, you can get more tools around with the cap space too. No?

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I think if you pick the right QB you can win relatively quickly. Herbert, Murray, Lamar Jackson, Mayfield. When you think a) sign Darnold to a bigger deal and hope he's your franchise guy in 3 years.....or b) draft Fields/Wilson and hope they're further along in 3 years and much cheaper? I think in option b, you can get more tools around with the cap space too. No?
Exactly. Douglas is cap savvy...having a cheap QB for the next few years would free up a lot of cash for other positions. I haven't seen enough of Darnold the past three years to say giving up that cap flexibility makes sense.

Every time I start thinking that we need more time to evaluate Darnold, I remember he's been there 3 years already.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing else seems to be working so why not give phrenology a try? That is one impressive dome.

Reaction Score

There's the Deshaun Watson trade rumors, too. The Jets have the draft capital to get him, assuming Watson would agree to going to the Jets. He has a much lower risk than a early 1st round draft pick as he's a proven commodity. But, the Jets have a lot of holes - WR, DB, OL, DL. Watson nor a drafted QB can fill all of that.

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
There's the Deshaun Watson trade rumors, too. The Jets have the draft capital to get him, assuming Watson would agree to going to the Jets. He has a much lower risk than a early 1st round draft pick as he's a proven commodity. But, the Jets have a lot of holes - WR, DB, OL, DL. Watson nor a drafted QB can fill all of that.
It just feels like Watson makes more sense for a team further along the rebuilding path who won't miss the draft picks as much.

Getting Watson means relying on free agents...and the Jets haven't done well with free agents.

Reaction Score
It just feels like Watson makes more sense for a team further along the rebuilding path who won't miss the draft picks as much.

Getting Watson means relying on free agents...and the Jets haven't done well with free agents.
I don't know. We just had a whiny betch in Jamal Adams pout his way off our team. Do we want to take on a QB that's doing the same thing? I don't know much about Watson in the locker room or as a leader, but I feel generally that players who quit on their franchise and demand trades usually aren't missed much.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I got a chuckle out of the "All Gas, No Brakes" tee shirt fodder.

Reaction Score
If a man is complaining when he is making 40 million a year playing a game, I wouldn't consider him.

Reaction Score
I got a chuckle out of the "All Gas, No Brakes" tee shirt fodder.
That's still one of my younger son's favorite lines from his 'Cars' fixation. I'll be looking for volunteers to do driver's ed with him in a few years.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
jets/mets/knicks, 2000: 'bbut!'
jets/mets/knicks, 2005: 'bbut!'
jets/mets/knicks, 2010: 'bbut!'
jets/mets/knicks, 2015: 'bbut!'
jets/mets/knicks, 2020: 'bbut!'
and that's just this century...
it's getting old, same as last century.
in football during that time, it's pretty much been the same guys every year, ie,
brady, roethlisberger, brees, rivers, and rogers.
any of deez guys involved again this year?
'doh!nold?' same thought now as during the max nyc hype on draft day -too short.
as usual with these teams over the recent decades, im always thinking 'what's wrong with ur brain? why do you always do the opposite of winning judgment?' must be their culture. someone, anyone, please make it stop as these teams annual preseason blowhard hypefest is polluting the air. and, oh, nice start for new mets management, cuz no one expected the instant pr mess that they're in, said no one ever.
on the udder hand, this is how you do winning:
New York Yankees Got the Bargain of the Offseason Re-Signing DJ LeMahieu - Sports Illustrated
the mets should have given him anything he wants. i mean, who would want a generational talent to be the rock upon which to rely for the next 5 years or so? answer? not the mets. figgers.
and to be crystal clear aboot 'winning culture,' and from day one pre-draft, daniel jones is the goods. i was dragged over the coals here for that one.
on jets fansites, the new management structure of who reports to whom, is a big deal. seriously?

'all gas, no brains.'

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
As a Patriots fan, I find this unwelcome news. My response when I heard was "crap, the Jets actually did something right". AFC East is a tough division now.

Let's see what he does. I think they will draft a QB as always, but should they? Not if they can trade down. Build the defense, the OL and running game and you're .500 or better with Darnold or a stopgap guy (loads of them available right now).

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
I don't know. We just had a whiny betch in Jamal Adams pout his way off our team. Do we want to take on a QB that's doing the same thing? I don't know much about Watson in the locker room or as a leader, but I feel generally that players who quit on their franchise and demand trades usually aren't missed much.
Watson is different than Adams. I agree that Adams was a whiny beyotch. And he is a freaking safety. Good riddance. That was a good trade.

Watson's situation isn't about money. It's about respect and collaboration. He is truly a franchise quarterback..maybe top 5 in the league. They traded away his top receiver and hired a GM without discussing with him. Supposedly they committed to including him in the process. He seems like a good dude and a strong leader.

But...I wouldn't trade for him. Too costly...they need the draft picks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Watson is different than Adams. I agree that Adams was a whiny beyotch. And he is a freaking safety. Good riddance. That was a good trade.

Watson's situation isn't about money. It's about respect and collaboration. He is truly a franchise quarterback..maybe top 5 in the league. They traded away his top receiver and hired a GM without discussing with him. Supposedly they committed to including him in the process. He seems like a good dude and a strong leader.

But...I wouldn't trade for him. Too costly...they need the draft picks.

Still, my answer to Watson is hell no. Belichick never gave Brady that kind of power. Green Bay didn't for Rodgers. No player should get to have that kind of influence. This isn't the NBA, and even there it's a mistake.

I like him as a player, but he thinks he should get to advise on the GM. Not even just the coach, but the GM? It's completely unreasonable.

Reaction Score
I know it's really easy to fall for a coach during the honeymoon, well except for that wide eyed maniac Gase....but seeing the media tour and listening to Saleh, then hearing what everyone says about him after he's done with the interview...it sounds like they got a good one. Ugh....just when I think I'm out....they pull me back in!

ShakyTheMohel

Reaction Score
Still, my answer to Watson is hell no. Belichick never gave Brady that kind of power. Green Bay didn't for Rodgers. No player should get to have that kind of influence. This isn't the NBA, and even there it's a mistake.

I like him as a player, but he thinks he should get to advise on the GM. Not even just the coach, but the GM? It's completely unreasonable.
I think you are exaggerating what he did...they committed to discuss the GM role with him before making a hire and they didn't do it. It's not like he asked and they said no. They said yes...and then moved forward without him. Thats why he is cranky.

I don't think he is a primadonna...he just wants to be involved...which isn't necessarily a bad thing. If he said he wanted the ability to approve the hire....then I agree with you. But I don't think that is what is going on here.

So...I would take him in a heartbeat... but unfortunately getting him would take multiple first round picks. Jets can't afford to do that.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
general observation.
how many coaches, gm's, and starting qb's have the jets had since brady started his career?
'but this time it's different...' at least that beachball coach with a big mouth was mildly amusing for a bit. now, iffn they can get beckham on the team, it would purrfect - 'Odell: Return of the Carmelo Era.' he'd prolly even pay them cuz there's a lot of jingle in hawking crap.
sanchise!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom