The Real Loser This Weekend | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Real Loser This Weekend

Reaction Score
ESPN has no love for UConn and they seem obsessed with doing whatever they can to avoid giving UConn the recognition they deserve. Maybe it's because they are the partner of both the SEC and ACC networks.
Every fanbase claims ESPN hates them.

Every other fanbase says ESPN LOVES UConn. We even have some fans who say it this year despite the obvious Boston worship by ESPN. (And YES, it embarrasses me when they say it)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Even if Stanford had won, in general they don't draw well. In Sundays loss to Ole Miss they drew 5,361 at Maples Pavilion where capacity is 7,233.
To be fair, it wasn’t a Stanford-run game, it was NCAA-run. That means tickets need to be allotted to each team playing in that arena. Stanford probably sold out but not the other teams

Reaction Score
Duke was a loser. In the next few years, the committee is going to be hesitant to rank/place them in the top 16 seeds.

Reaction Score
Every fanbase claims ESPN hates them.

Every other fanbase says ESPN LOVES UConn. We even have some fans who say it this year despite the obvious Boston worship by ESPN. (And YES, it embarrasses me when they say it)
ESPN doesn’t particularly love or hate UCONN.
They DO want to make lots of money getting the people who ADORE the Huskies and the people who DESPISE them watching their network in large numbers.
Lots of butts in the seats doesn’t hurt.
That takes some coordination with the NCAA:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Colorado, UCLA and Utah are all Pac 12 and still alive. Though only Colorado is in Seattle.
There are eight games Fri/Sat and three have Pac 12 teams.

I like the idea of the Super Regional it just needs tweaking. Maybe they should only spread around the top 16 or 32 teams and the remainder placed in the region closest to their fanbase.
But only one of those Pac 12 teams is in the Pacific time zone, and that team is playing in Greenville. The other two are in the Mountain time zone and probably about the same distance to St Louis or KC, or Denver or Dallas or even Phoenix which would chop off one time zone an an hour or two flying time for all the east coast and midwest teams.

I don't mind the idea of a super regional, just with most P6 teams located well east of the Rockies placing the regional on the west coast is stupid. Placing a regional with 4 teams on the west coast more than a few times a decade didn't make sense either.

As for making the early rounds 'regional' that dates back to when UCLA was winning all their championships - they never had to play a team from east of the Rockies until they arrived at the FF which was an advantage because if the won their conference they only had to beat minnows to reach the FF.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Then make one of those host cities, Boston, Bridgeport, or NYC.... especially next year, where.... if we are healthy....... we should go far.....
I don't think the regional/super regional needs to be in the NE.

If they continue super regionals should be 1) Atlantic coast and 2) Between the Mississippi River and Continental Divide. Or alternatively 1) North of the Mason Dixon and 2) South of the Mason Dixon. With one westerly (not further than the continental divide) and one easterly

If they go back to 4 regionals then a Pacific time period regional should be used only twice each decade.

Reaction Score
I will start driving to Seattle from Connecticut tomorrow, Wednesday, and arrive by Saturday night, or Sunday morning--- Thanks NCAA...!!!
Oh, wait- it brings back those GREAT memories of being in the American !!!
Remember THOSE SUPER Road trips to Tulsa, ...Dallas,... Houston,... etc....??!!???

Reaction Score
No need for Crème to apologize at all. His only objective is to try to mirror what the selection committee will do. He might disagree with a number of the teams in the brackets and where they are seeded, but that is irrelevant to his mission.

But if that's all he's doing, it should be really easy, since NCAA reveals their own ranking several times before they actually do the real seedings.

Shouldn't Creme also be stating his own opinions about what SHOULD happen? Take on the seeding committee?

Reaction Score
Then make one of those host cities, Boston, Bridgeport, or NYC.... especially next year, where.... if we are healthy....... we should go far.....
I think choosing Boston or NYC or Philly would be great for UConn and WBB ...........that's why the NCAA probably won't do it

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
ESPN has no love for UConn and they seem obsessed with doing whatever they can to avoid giving UConn the recognition they deserve. Maybe it's because they are the partner of both the SEC and ACC networks.
Bingo, follow the money. They have a financial stack in a couple conferences and their players. And they broadcast the tournament.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
To be fair, it wasn’t a Stanford-run game, it was NCAA-run. That means tickets need to be allotted to each team playing in that arena. Stanford probably sold out but not the other teams
Then how does that explain the capacity crowd at UConn last night?

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I will start driving to Seattle from Connecticut tomorrow, Wednesday, and arrive by Saturday night, or Sunday morning--- Thanks NCAA...!!!
Oh, wait- it brings back those GREAT memories of being in the American !!!
Remember THOSE SUPER Road trips to Tulsa, ...Dallas,... Houston,... etc....??!!???
Horrible for the team to travel south in the winter, bad for recruiting too, Providence in January or Orlando!?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Then how does that explain the capacity crowd at UConn last night?
Tickets were bought before the games even started, hence some empty seats although fans of losing teams probably sold their tickets to scalpers. The unsold ones were released for sale before the UConn-Baylor game

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Recently announced Washington will be hosting a 3rd round WNIT game on Friday at 7 pm, so that might be a bit of a dilemma for local wcbb who planned to attend the Regional, but want to support their Huskies. This is the same time the Ole Miss-Louisville game is scheduled.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Maybe Colorado, but that is a little of a stretch!
Maybe they will decide to go back to TRUE "regionals"??
I hope you are right! I already miss the days of seeing UCONN in Bridgeport, Albany, Trenton, Philly, etc.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Tickets were bought before the games even started, hence some empty seats although fans of losing teams probably sold their tickets to scalpers. The unsold ones were released for sale before the UConn-Baylor game
Scalpers like StubHub, Ticket master or Gametime? I bought mine from Stub Hub. They are available at every site, so where were the Stanford fans?

Reaction Score
Hi all. I'm a long time reader, first time poster. Some background on myself. Born and raised in CT, left shortly after HS when I joined the Navy. I have always been a UConn fan and always will be despite not living in CT for the past 45 years. I have lived in the Seattle area since 1985.
As a college bb fan and most specifically a UConn fan, I am extremely excited the NCAA has placed the regional here. I have only seen the women's team once in my life. That was when they came to Eugene in I believe Stewie's freshman year. I made the 12 hour round trip drive on new years eve to see them. Wife wasn't thrilled but I had a great time.
I purchased tickets for the regionals the 1st day they were available, long before the brackets were announced. Of course I'm thrilled that UConn will be here.
From my perspective, there is a lot of east coast bias in this thread. I won't opine on the rightness/wrongness of the NCAA's decision nor will I weigh in on future placements. However what the posters here should know is that this event is sold out and has been for weeks. Now I don't know if those tickets have gone to local fans like me, or to people looking to capitalize on this rate event or to long distant, hopeful fans of the various schools. But the games will be well attended by very supportive fans. Speaking of which, I personally am happy not to see Stanford or Arizona fans in attendance. They are some of the most arrogant fans in the country. Iowa fans on the other hand should be great as well as the folks from MS. And let us not forget there will be a pretty good sized throng rooting for UL's Hailey Van Lith who's hometown is about 4 hrs NE of Seattle. So my to advice you all is sit back and enjoy the games and us left coast fans enjoy our bounty whilst we can.

Reaction Score
Philly, Miami, Chicago, Denver might make sense for Super Regionals sites. They are easily assessable by most, and they are in locations students/fans might actually want to go to. I agree its absurd to have a regional in Seattle, if the West coast teams are not represented equally as the top teams in the country.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Climate Pledge was nearly packed tonight, great atmoshpere, Iowa fans going crazy. This thread looks ridiculous in hindsight. Seattle was not in fact the biggest loser, I'd say it turned out great.

Reaction Score
And there were plenty of folks present on Saturday as well. Not packed to the rafters perhaps, but lots of 'em for both contests, and noisy! Which made for a fun time despite the disappointing (for Huskies fans) outcome.

Reaction Score
Climate Pledge was nearly packed tonight, great atmoshpere, Iowa fans going crazy. This thread looks ridiculous in hindsight. Seattle was not in fact the biggest loser, I'd say it turned out great.
Yup I was there a long with 11K +. Tons of Iowa fans but also a lot people who were not affiliated with either program. Seattle has shown itself well in support of women's basketball. And for all those folks poo-pooing Seattle and how hard it is to get here, get ready for the next two years because I believe Portland and Spokane are next up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom