The Real Loser This Weekend | The Boneyard

The Real Loser This Weekend

Reaction Score
With Stanford out of the tournament already the real loser in this tournament is the West Region. They are depending on UCONN to draw enough people to the arena to fill the stands and after the electric atmospheres this weekend that is a shame. For most fans the top seeds losing wasn't that much of a surprise based on the teams they chose. Maybe losing this early was a shock but Indiana and Stanford really haven't been playing that good lately. Next to fall will be VaTech and then there will be 1.

The winners this weekend in my eyes are UCONN and LSU. They were both under seeded and came out and won in grand fashion. When it comes down to the end both of these teams have a good chance to make it to Dallas and Charlie Creme might need to change his name to Charlie Crow.

Reaction Score
UConn might be one of the winners of the first weekend, but UConn's bracket is the toughest one remaining. Still have #1 Virginia Tech, and Tennessee is playing well. The best four teams advanced in the West region. UConn will have to earn the Final Four. Confident that they well.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I was thinking more that there are no draws from the west. Seems like every team in the region is more East/Midwest.
It is the constant issue for Women's basketball - it is a power 6 tournament - the P5 plus whichever conference Uconn is in. And that means the regionals are dominated by teams east of the continental divide as even in a great year for the Pac12 when they get 4 teams in, that represents only 25%. And based on keeping conference teams away from each other it means only one or at most 2 teams would be in that region. And this year only 2 are actually in the Pacific time zone. With the changing membership, 25% of the Pacific 12 are actually Mountain Time Zone.

Based on regional participation, west coast sites have always been over represented. With Super Regionals it becomes even more biased. They really should stick to Eastern, Midwestern, and Mountain Super Regional sites.

Reaction Score
With Stanford out of the tournament already the real loser in this tournament is the West Region. They are depending on UCONN to draw enough people to the arena to fill the stands and after the electric atmospheres this weekend that is a shame. For most fans the top seeds losing wasn't that much of a surprise based on the teams they chose. Maybe losing this early was a shock but Indiana and Stanford really haven't been playing that good lately. Next to fall will be VaTech and then there will be 1.

The winners this weekend in my eyes are UCONN and LSU. They were both under seeded and came out and won in grand fashion. When it comes down to the end both of these teams have a good chance to make it to Dallas and Charlie Creme might need to change his name to Charlie Crow.
Even if Stanford had won, in general they don't draw well. In Sundays loss to Ole Miss they drew 5,361 at Maples Pavilion where capacity is 7,233.

Reaction Score
This is why having a super regional on the west coast each year is insane. Every team in our region has to fly across the country and there will be no one there compared to the Greenville region. For all the criticism UConn in Bridgeport got it was less of a journey for NC-State and Indiana, and as the last two days have shown, home crowds aren't even that much of an advantage.

If they are insist on doing super regionals at least do them on the east coast and middle of the country.

Reaction Score

No need for Crème to apologize at all. His only objective is to try to mirror what the selection committee will do. He might disagree with a number of the teams in the brackets and where they are seeded, but that is irrelevant to his mission.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
If it happens, a UConn vs Tennessee Elite 8 matchup should draw a lot of fans and national interest.
I really would like to play Virginia Tech instead of Tennessee (as long as we beat OS first).
Tennessee has so much incentive to beat us, whether it is in the tournament or during the season. They seemed to have finally put it together and I consider them to be a very dangerous team. I think Aaliyah, Dorka, and Aubrey can neutralize the VT big girl, and our guards and wings can take care of their other players.
I will be rooting for VT in that game.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Maybe Colorado, but that is a little of a stretch!
Maybe they will decide to go back to TRUE "regionals"??
I hope so. It is really fun watching the games when the crowd is so loud and into the games. As a player that is what gives you the extra to get it done when you are dead tired.

Reaction Score
Maybe Colorado, but that is a little of a stretch!
Maybe they will decide to go back to TRUE "regionals"??
Colorado, UCLA and Utah are all Pac 12 and still alive. Though only Colorado is in Seattle.
There are eight games Fri/Sat and three have Pac 12 teams.

I like the idea of the Super Regional it just needs tweaking. Maybe they should only spread around the top 16 or 32 teams and the remainder placed in the region closest to their fanbase.

Reaction Score
but will it put west coast fans in the seats?
And that is really my point. I'm you could play the games on the moon and the UCONN fans and others would watch but how many can you expect to travel? For the players the huge crowds are what makes the tournament exciting and it is a shame they put so little thought into where the games are and how far their fans would have to travel to see their team.

Reaction Score
No need for Crème to apologize at all. His only objective is to try to mirror what the selection committee will do. He might disagree with a number of the teams in the brackets and where they are seeded, but that is irrelevant to his mission.
lol He is the spokesperson for ESPN on college hoops and they missed big on the boys and girls this year. Any one who watched UCONN play at full strength knew they were not a 2 seed. Really, how do you take a team with 14 straight FF and not give them the benefit of the doubt when they were certainly deserving?

Reaction Score
lol He is the spokesperson for ESPN on college hoops and they missed big on the boys and girls this year. Any one who watched UCONN play at full strength knew they were not a 2 seed. Really, how do you take a team with 14 straight FF and not give them the benefit of the doubt when they were certainly deserving?

Reaction Score
UConn might be one of the winners of the first weekend, but UConn's bracket is the toughest one remaining. Still have #1 Virginia Tech, and Tennessee is playing well. The best four teams advanced in the West region. UConn will have to earn the Final Four. Confident that they well.
I don't see Tennessee challenging UCONN when they are at full strength. UCONN has been very good at not beating themselves over the years and I don't see them struggling until SC

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Stanford doesn’t draw particularly well, even at Maples Pavilion. In their second round loss to MS, Stanford drew about 5,300 fans, or roughly 65% of capacity. Compare that to UConn’s 10,000+ capacity crowd for last night’s game at Gampel.

Even if Stanford managed to make it to Seattle, UConn fans would likely outnumber them. As Geno says, when UConn is on the road, it’s like the circus coming to town.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I really would like to play Virginia Tech instead of Tennessee (as long as we beat OS first).
Tennessee has so much incentive to beat us, whether it is in the tournament or during the season. They seemed to have finally put it together and I consider them to be a very dangerous team. I think Aaliyah, Dorka, and Aubrey can neutralize the VT big girl, and our guards and wings can take care of their other players.
I will be rooting for VT in that game.
When UConn beat TN, they did so in Knoxville without Azzi or Caroline. I’m not especially concerned if The Huskies end up in a rematch with the LV’s.

Reaction Score
ESPN has no love for UConn and they seem obsessed with doing whatever they can to avoid giving UConn the recognition they deserve. Maybe it's because they are the partner of both the SEC and ACC networks.

Reaction Score

It was doomed from the start as far as attendance goes. Washington was never going to be there and folks on the PAC Coast aren't known for traveling ( or even attending home games much). The only hope for that region was TV eyeballs. Y'all probably will have more fans i thhe stands than eight PAC teams would have had,

Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe the real deal with these Super Regionals is the NCAA was having trouble ginning up interest in a regional with only three games. With the Super Regional the host city has six games in four days with more revenue while the NCAA economizes on their costs..

Reaction Score
ESPN has no love for UConn and they seem obsessed with doing whatever they can to avoid giving UConn the recognition they deserve. Maybe it's because they are the partner of both the SEC and ACC networks.
A statement based on what facts ? ESPN and UConn have been closely aligned sine the early 90's. UConn does not need ESPN or any other network to garner recognition. UConn is it's own brand, one built in blood ,sweat and tears over 3+ decades. That's where their recognition comes from.

Reaction Score
Maybe, maybe the real deal with these Super Regionals is the NCAA was having trouble ginning up interest in a regional with only three games. With the Super Regional the host city has six games in four days with more revenue while the NCAA economizes on their costs..
Then make one of those host cities, Boston, Bridgeport, or NYC.... especially next year, where.... if we are healthy....... we should go far.....

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom