The Parity Thing | The Boneyard

The Parity Thing

Reaction Score
In recent weeks, those of us who are apparently deemed among the uninformed have been treated to a variety of posts by our peers on the Boneyard who seek to edify us as to the decline in the fortunes of UConn WBB. We have, lucky us, had the news “broken” to us that the current team falls short of the standard set by previous teams, that the coach can no longer recruit, and that the prospects for next season and those that follow are hopelessly dim.

For good or for ill, other than the possible exceptions of death and taxes, it comes as no surprise, even to the less insightful like us, to learn that nothing in life lasts forever. Unfortunately for Husky fans, that reality, alas, extends even to sports dynasties. The Geno Auriemma era is far from over, and, contrary to the general view, it may well yet yield another national championship or two. Still, age and inevitability ultimately catch up to each of us, and, by any reasonable measure, the unparalleled dynasty that Geno created is now in its twilight years. The landscape of WCBB has been irreversibly altered, mostly in good ways, and largely as a result of the heightened interest in the sport that this most extraordinary of coaches developed. National parity is on the rise, and the overall quality of play is dramatically both improved and better distributed. As the gap between the previously more elite and less elite programs narrows (this is a good thing, really!) so does the overwhelming recruiting advantages once enjoyed by a few dominant programs. Unsurprisingly, no coach can remain the same recruiting beacon that he or she once was as certain age and achievement thresholds are passed.

Sports dynasties are usually superseded by new, emerging dynasties. That may be the case in WCBB going forward, but any such future dynasty, relatively speaking, will have to be writ small, beginning with a small d. This is because the extraordinary magic carpet ride to which we Husky fans have been treated for so long will NEVER be repeated or duplicated. Elsewhere on this forum, a poster, declaring that parity in the game has arrived, blamed that felicitous development mainly on Geno. I concur. But, ill-advisedly, that poster casts this contingency in terms of Geno’s “failure.” Just the opposite is true. This is the predictable result of this coach’s once-in-a-lifetime success. There are those who prefer inequity in the game, that UConn continues to enjoy unprecedented success in a woefully unbalanced environment. I’m not among them. I’m going to continue to be an ardent fan of UConn WBB even after the current era comes to a close. I sincerely hope that, having tasted success like no other program, the guiding forces at UConn continue to dedicate the resources to WBB that will keep UConn among the elite teams in the sport for many years to come. But I will always remember, with great fondness, who brought about the elevation of the women’s game that created this intense competitive parity!

Reaction Score
I second that, whatever it takes to not hear those famous words, "UConn is bad for women's basketball" or this classic, "UConn women are too dominant for their own good" (I see you Dan Shaughnessy).

Reaction Score
The perennial question -- Is UConn good for women's basketball ? -- has been answered with an emphatic YES.

It may be Geno and CD's biggest legacy -- even beyond the number of NC's. If you consider where this sport is now going, worldwide, then opportunities have been opened for 1000's of young women moving forward in an environment where a number of those opportunities never existed before, and it International.

But getting to the Dynasty part.....

The 2 major elements in recruiting at UConn have always been 1. Talent, and 2. Can the player fit the program. And its the toughest program with the absolute highest standards. It's not for everybody, regardless of talent.

Helicopter parents with predetermined goals, personal coaches, AAU twits, International player development,etc etc etc have undeniably increased the quality of the recruiting pool in terms of talent. So there is more talent available to more programs. (this is part of the UConn legacy) But perhaps its also changed the player profile with respect in the ability to "fit" to the UConn program. I question this but Geno has consistently commented about this.
The "players today" type of quotes.

If you drill down, even a little, into the threads covering recruiting and transfer players --- what the critics are really calling for in many cases is -- a relaxing of the UConn standards.

They want the prima donna who won't cover the tat's, they want the transfer whose word cant be trusted, they want the problem kid dismissed from another program,they want the rules relaxed for the recruit who cant follow the rules before she even steps on a court.....and its all the coaches fault.

The fact is, there are enough players out there with talent, who now have a career path through less stringent standards, that don't need UConn, to reach the WNBA and an International paycheck.

And while I agree with much of what you posted --- I disagree with the inevitability of your conclusion.

This program is the best for a reason - and while there is more talent out there that can go to more places, and provide more competition - there is little doubt in my mind - that there are things that go on in the UConn program that CANNOT be duplicated anywhere else, simply by the acquisition of talent.

The 40-0 seasons may be fewer and farther between, but nobody else is going to do it either. The 3-peats may be in jeopardy, but nobody else is going to do it either.

So, to paraphrase on the "We have Diana" quote ---- We have Geno and Chris, and they don't.

Will they go on forever...of course not....but part of their legacy will be the coaching and player tree they leave behind.

This is UConn.........It's not Tennessee

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In recent weeks, those of us who are apparently deemed among the uninformed have been treated to a variety of posts by our peers on the Boneyard who seek to edify us as to the decline in the fortunes of UConn WBB. We have, lucky us, had the news “broken” to us that the current team falls short of the standard set by previous teams, that the coach can no longer recruit, and that the prospects for next season and those that follow are hopelessly dim.

For good or for ill, other than the possible exceptions of death and taxes, it comes as no surprise, even to the less insightful like us, to learn that nothing in life lasts forever. Unfortunately for Husky fans, that reality, alas, extends even to sports dynasties. The Geno Auriemma era is far from over, and, contrary to the general view, it may well yet yield another national championship or two. Still, age and inevitability ultimately catch up to each of us, and, by any reasonable measure, the unparalleled dynasty that Geno created is now in its twilight years. The landscape of WCBB has been irreversibly altered, mostly in good ways, and largely as a result of the heightened interest in the sport that this most extraordinary of coaches developed. National parity is on the rise, and the overall quality of play is dramatically both improved and better distributed. As the gap between the previously more elite and less elite programs narrows (this is a good thing, really!) so does the overwhelming recruiting advantages once enjoyed by a few dominant programs. Unsurprisingly, no coach can remain the same recruiting beacon that he or she once was as certain age and achievement thresholds are passed.

Sports dynasties are usually superseded by new, emerging dynasties. That may be the case in WCBB going forward, but any such future dynasty, relatively speaking, will have to be writ small, beginning with a small d. This is because the extraordinary magic carpet ride to which we Husky fans have been treated for so long will NEVER be repeated or duplicated. Elsewhere on this forum, a poster, declaring that parity in the game has arrived, blamed that felicitous development mainly on Geno. I concur. But, ill-advisedly, that poster casts this contingency in terms of Geno’s “failure.” Just the opposite is true. This is the predictable result of this coach’s once-in-a-lifetime success. There are those who prefer inequity in the game, that UConn continues to enjoy unprecedented success in a woefully unbalanced environment. I’m not among them. I’m going to continue to be an ardent fan of UConn WBB even after the current era comes to a close. I sincerely hope that, having tasted success like no other program, the guiding forces at UConn continue to dedicate the resources to WBB that will keep UConn among the elite teams in the sport for many years to come. But I will always remember, with great fondness, who brought about the elevation of the women’s game that created this intense competitive parity!

Big P---I agree with most. Nothing lasts forever is your theme. Geno, unless this frustrating year wears on him, has many great years left in him. Geno has played a lot of, what is now considered parity, teams that were in the top of the game. LSU, TN, ND, Lville, and some in the BE. The BE was not a cake walk. Rutgers was dangerous, as were those above. The parity implied today, isn't much different than those of old. Geno has had great teams and not so great teams--he actually had a few lean years. Each time Geno was done, Uconn was done, recruiting was terrible. This is not new. What is new is a Uconn team with only 5 players and no real subs. So Geno and we are frustrated. The end will come when Geno says : "I retire".

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
For me, the optimum situation for my enjoyment at least is 2 teams above the rest. The ND/UConn rivalry or the TN/UConn rivalry are / were the best imho.

For me, if there is true parity, then it begins to become a crap shoot and winning a NC is just a function of who just happened to have things break the right way.

Reaction Score
All I can contribute to this discussion is the fact that I'm seeing very good basketball played by college women in all divisions, from all parts of the country and in all leagues this year unlike any previous year. Prior to this year it was a rare WCBB game, other than UConn, which could keep me interested. This year is different. I don't know the reason why, but I approve of the result.

Reaction Score
For me, the optimum situation for my enjoyment at least is 2 teams above the rest. The ND/UConn rivalry or the TN/UConn rivalry are / were the best imho.

For me, if there is true parity, then it begins to become a crap shoot and winning a NC is just a function of who just happened to have things break the right way.
over the years, if you listened to Geno, you just wrote his words: it's a crapshoot getting to the FF and NC. Many uncontrollable circumstances come to play: Take Baylor a few years ago: Griner with a great cast. Was beaten by Louisville, opening the door for Uconn. That is not saying Geno means: Don't prepare. It means no matter how well prepared or undefeated (as Uconn has been the past 2 years) the unexpected happens--Parity had nothing to do with that. Two final shots with one second left--what do you call that--superior playing?? I call that prepared luck.

MTC

Reaction Score
I don't watch Uconn WBB because it is interesting. I watch it so I can marvel at the excellence the ladies perform the sport and overcome their opponent. If people didn't want to win; they wouldn't keep score. Let's enjoy what we have.

Reaction Score
I don't watch Uconn WBB because it is interesting. I watch it so I can marvel at the excellence the ladies perform the sport and overcome their opponent. If people didn't want to win; they wouldn't keep score. Let's enjoy what we have.

You could watch the Harlem Globe Trotters and marvel at their excellence as they dominate the Washington Generals. I'd prefer to watch an actual competition where the outcome is not known before the game starts. Women's basketball will be much better when there is more parity at top. You want it so the number 15 or number 20 team in the country has a legitimate chance to beat the top team in the country.

Reaction Score
You could watch the Harlem Globe Trotters and marvel at their excellence as they dominate the Washington Generals. I'd prefer to watch an actual competition where the outcome is not known before the game starts. Women's basketball will be much better when there is more parity at top. You want it so the number 15 or number 20 team in the country has a legitimate chance to beat the top team in the country.
You could go watch a team of 9 year olds. Those teams are all pretty evenly matched and any team can win on any given day.

Reactions: MTC

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
In my post, I said the following. " I didn't know what word to use instead of Failure. Is it Geno's fault, that Elite players that had UConn on their list of schools, decide to go elsewhere. Probably not, but what word do you use?" That statement should let most readers know that I don't consider Geno a failure. No one has chosen to post a different word or explanation of UConn's lower level of success when it comes to recruiting.

It is unrealistic that UConn would continue to have the level of success that it has had over the last ten years. Geno has done a masterful job of coaching last year and this year for the team to have the record it did/has. However, I'm more concerned about next year. If Geno is unable to find some quality players that are immediately eligible, there will be a significant drop off. Will I still continue to root for UConn? Yes!!!. It will take awhile to be like fans of many other teams to wonder if the team will get enough quality wins to make the tournament and/or are not one of the favorites to make the Final Four. Hopefully it will a short lived phenomenon. Just calling it as I see it today.

MTC

Reaction Score
In my post, I said the following. " I didn't know what word to use instead of Failure. Is it Geno's fault, that Elite players that had UConn on their list of schools, decide to go elsewhere. Probably not, but what word do you use?" That statement should let most readers know that I don't consider Geno a failure. No one has chosen to post a different word or explanation of UConn's lower level of success when it comes to recruiting.

It is unrealistic that UConn would continue to have the level of success that it has had over the last ten years. Geno has done a masterful job of coaching last year and this year for the team to have the record it did/has. However, I'm more concerned about next year. If Geno is unable to find some quality players that are immediately eligible, there will be a significant drop off. Will I still continue to root for UConn? Yes!!!. It will take awhile to be like fans of many other teams to wonder if the team will get enough quality wins to make the tournament and/or are not one of the favorites to make the Final Four. Hopefully it will a short lived phenomenon. Just calling it as I see it today.
Without knowing why the girls decided to go to other schools, we cannot know why or if this trend will continue. I see no reason for alarm yet.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
Absolutely the best post & thread I’ve seen hear on the BY in many months. I check the BY most every day to see if there is any information, news, reports about the girls or the program. “Seems” as if this past year the least amount of the posts on the BY are about Uconn's Women's Basketball.

Personally, I couldn't care less about any girl in High School or where she is going or not going. That’s the coaching & there staffs job. I care about the girls who sign up & show up. Every year I anticipate and expect a group of young ladies who take the floor and execute the amazing game of Basketball, to the best of their abilities for 40 minutes.

As far as one & done players. A one & done takes game minutes and development minutes from the ladies who have and are committed to contributing for 4 years to the team, the program, & the fans. I prefer to watch & see that development.

Last month I went back and watched every NC game. No, I can’t quote stats. But what I saw. What's in my mind was that in all eleven games was aggression. Pure and simple. The opponents never got a break or a chance to catch their breath, let alone figure out how to compete. I know it happened but I sure as hell don’t remember watching anyone walking the ball up. It didn't matter if it was an in-bound, rebound, tipped ball, turnover, or a steal, whoever was bringing the ball up was moving quickly while looking to attack or had already made the outlet pass to someone who was in a better position to attack. No one had the opportunity to get their defense set.

My recollection, with the one exception (Breanna) is that the big stars really didn't have their best games in the NC’s but the opponents had to commit to stopping them and then scoring options 2,3,4, & 5 consistently came through, knocking down shots when they were open. It seems like at some point or two in every game the oponent would start to gather themselves and Boom! Boom! Option 3 scored, Option 5 scored! Just broke their backs and you could see them wilt!

I am totally clear that most of the prolific posters here on the BY have forgotten more about basketball than I know. For example I had to look up G O A T. Everyone was calling DT the GOAT. If your talking total carrier I would agree DT is the GOAT. If your talking college, that just dumb! In women’s College Basketball Breanna Stewart is the G O A T! No need to say other wise. If you have another opinion, go watch the last four NC’s and get your mind straight. Just Say-N

I absolute love watching College Women's Basketball. To me it is the purest form of BB being played. I don’t watch the NBA or their B league games that takes place on college campuses around the country. Have no interest in the WNBA, NFL, Socker, don't even watch NASCAR.

Well. I have more to say but I’ll stop before I start cussing. Who know my grand kids or great grand kids might see this and I don’t want to embarrass them. Anyway, the girls will be playing in just a few minutes and I have to get KODI fired up.

Last but not least. My favorite moment out of all 11 NC’s was delivered by Briana Pulido. Her shot. Her moment. Her Commitment. What that meant to the “team”. Those are the moments this old guy looks for.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom